PDA

View Full Version : Getting a SATA HD to work.

Gonzo
3rd Oct 2004, 19:44
I put in a few upgrades today. More memory (up to 1GB), internal DVD RW, PCI Firewire card and a 160GB SATA hard drive. All are working except the HD

I have an ASRock K8S8X mobo, with the existing Maxtor 80GB drive in IDE1, and the new DVD in IDE2. I put the new HD in SATA1. Looking at Device Manager (Win XP), it has recognised the Samsung SP1614C SATA hard drive, but there's no way of using it, ie. doesn't appear anywhere else. I've enabled the SATA controller in BIOS, and on system start-up it detects the new drive as SATA Primary Master.

The manual that came with the guide says not to touch the jumper pins, so I didn't.

As it detects the SATA drive, pressing CTRL-S opens the SiS RAID BIOS Utility. This also detects the drive, alongisde which it says 'RAID status: Single' I'm correct in thinking that RAID is just a way of connecting two HDs together so the computer uses it as one, aren't I? This utility is no help in getting the drive working?

I've downloaded the latest drivers for the SATA controller from both ASRock and SiS (same drivers) but still no luck.

Any ideas? This is the first time I've put in a new HD, so is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd Oct 2004, 19:48
Gonzo,

First you need to install the SATA Drivers, then you need to make sure the Drive is Partitioned and Formatted in order to be able to access it.

Take Care,

Richard

Gonzo
3rd Oct 2004, 20:02
Thanks Richard. All working now. The manual seemed to suggest that WinXP would automatically bring up the Partition wizard through Disk Management on boot up.

amanoffewwords
3rd Oct 2004, 20:33
Reading a manual, big mistake in the IT world ;)

Gonzo
3rd Oct 2004, 20:38
Just as it is in ATC! :p

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd Oct 2004, 21:44
Gonzo,

Glad to hear you are all set. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

Gonzo
4th Oct 2004, 07:14
The drive appears to be working fine, apart from running any files that are now on the new SATA drive. they all run ok, but video clips (I've tried WMA, AVI, MPEGs) and audio files (WAV, MP3) have no sound. The video clips play, but again no sound. Any ideas?

Gonzo
4th Oct 2004, 09:20
Never mind, it's working now!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Oct 2004, 12:21
Gonzo,

What was the problem?

Take Care,

Richard

Gonzo
4th Oct 2004, 13:47
Errr..........

Umm.............

How do I say this?

Well, it appears when I was moving the system unit back into it's housing on my desk after opening it up to check the connectors, the speaker jack came out of the socket!

That's why i wasn't getting any sound!

D'oh!!!!!!!!!!

SoftTop
4th Oct 2004, 13:56
ROFL

Have you tried swapping mouse and keyboard plugs. Our IT support guy wasn't amused. I was seriously hacked off when I discovered it too. The night shift, all I can say!

ST

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Oct 2004, 14:39
Gonzo,

Do not worry, we have all been there before. ;)

Take Care,

Richard