View Full Version : Again on Skydiving Ops.

papazulu
3rd Oct 2004, 18:03
Hello again.

Here there are some more questions for those US pilots who make their living hauling skydivers with a multicrew plane such CASA 212.

I know that parachute jumping in USA is ruled by FAR 105 but I wonder which FAR chapter rules the operators carrying this kind of “passengers”. As I understood it cannot be FAR 119 (see §119.1 (e)(6)) hence, ascertained that this is a commercial operation since skydivers pay for the ride, FAR 135 requirements(§135.243 and §135.245) should apply to PIC and SIC. Is anyone able to confirm this or give the true story about how things should be done to make the authority happy?

Thanks to everybody who can help.

PZ
:ok:

weasil
3rd Oct 2004, 20:12
Actually skydiving is covered by part 119. It is listed as an exception to the Common-Carriage rules (that means you don't need an air operator certificate to conduct "intentional skydiving within a 25nm radius) and so you can advertise and run a business with no operating certificate.

Part 119.1 (e)

e) Except for operations when common carriage is not involved conducted with airplanes having a passenger-seat configuration of 20 seats or more, excluding any required crewmember seat, or a payload capacity of 6,000 pounds or more, this part does not apply to—

(1) Student instruction;

(6) Nonstop flights conducted within a 25-statute-mile radius of the airport of takeoff carrying persons or objects for the purpose of conducting intentional parachute operations.

This means that you can run a commercial skydiving operation and the pilot can be paid so long as he meets the requirements of part 61 and 91 to be a commercial pilot.

papazulu
4th Oct 2004, 20:14
ThankU weasil for the help! I am proud of myself too, since I still get something good out of FARs...Lucky me I enjoyed my training in USA so much.

Happy landings!

PZ:p