PDA

View Full Version : FAA Pilot Selection

EF2020
3rd Oct 2004, 17:36
Hi all, I am just opening a new topic, as I need some assistance/help, if possible.

I am going for my second interview with the RN careers (the interview just prior to aptitude tests)....I was just wondering what sort of questions they will be asking me, as I do have a vague understanding of what is coming, but I'd like to be sure... Am I right in stating that my knowledge of current affairs, Navy ships (destroyers, frigs etc) will be called upon. Also, to what extent- e.g, will they expect me to know the numbers of the ship...e.g D92 Liverpool??

What other questions should I specifically be expecing, as I want to make sure I easily surpass this interview....

Talk Split
3rd Oct 2004, 18:47
You will need a broad knowledge of the Navy, not just the FAA. Make sure you are up to speed with current affairs, and a reasonable knowledge of geography is useful.

If you havent already, then read a few broadsheet newspapers, but if they ask you what papers you read regularly, don't bluff it. If all you read is The Sun, then say so.

Finally, think about what you will say when they ask you if you would still join having not been selected for pilot. Saying that being an Officer in the Royal Navy is the most important thing to you is probably what they want to hear.

Finally, don't bull**it them, be honest, and best of luck!!!

supert300
4th Oct 2004, 10:16
Don't worry tooo much about pennant numbers, of ships or how fast they go or how many tonnes they displace. You need to know the role the ship or aircraft perform, what weapons they use in that role, where they are based, what sensors they use in conjunction with the weapons sytem etc.

airborne_artist
4th Oct 2004, 11:48
Have a think about the "officer" bit as well. Leading, managing, planning, coaching, advising are words that come to mind, but there are plenty more - what does this mean in a Royal Navy context and why are you a good candidate?

Have you done anything that tested/trained you in leadership (perhaps DofE), that challenged you outside your comfort zone? Work up a narrative that shows what you gained from it, and why you want more, perhaps.

Work up a list of "thinking" questions - they'll mark you up for using your head, not just absorbing/regurgitating facts.