PDA

View Full Version : Digital piccies - losing resolution

windy1
3rd Oct 2004, 16:56
After downloading images from the camera using the supplied software (Canon Zoom Browser EX), I need to modify some of the images (crop, focus, contrast) . I use Ulead Photo Explorer.

When I check the new image file size, I find it has gone down quite a lot, eg 1.5Mp can become 500Mp.

Nowhere can I find an option to maintain image quality. My workaround is to convert all images to .bmp, do the modifications and then reconvert the whole lot back to jpg. What a fandangle that is!

A mate warned me that with some programs, if you display a jpg image on your puter and then save it as a new file name, the puter does another jpg-type compression operation and reduces the file size again, with loss of resolution..... and so on

Q1 can this happen?

Q2 Is it the case that most freeware image-manipulating programs do not warn you about this or explain how to avoid it? .

BTW, I am not referring here to the email image type function where you deliberately shrink images and file sizes.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd Oct 2004, 17:28
windy1,

Usually you want the best jpg compression you can get in order to reduce the size of photos.

If you want full quality, I would shoot the pix in tiff format and edit them in that format. You will get the highest quality without anything lost due to compression. ;)

Take Care,

Richard