PDA

View Full Version : Conversation with SIA Flight Deck required

screw fix diret
3rd Oct 2004, 13:53
If anybody is willing, I would like to have a coversation with a current SIA pilot, of UK origin, about living in Singapore and working for SIA. I would like to have a reasoned, un-biased conversation about life the universe and everything, not just the bad stuff. If anybody feels able to inform me about these issues then please feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thanks in anticipation

millerscourt
3rd Oct 2004, 14:06
sfd First of all what position in Sq are you considering?

I would have thought just looking at the exchange rate of the S$ to £Stg would stop you seeking any further information.

Only consider joining SQ as a DEC as IMHO no expat Airline other than Cathay is worth joining as a F/O certainly not SQ as all the rest do not operate on a true seniority basis for Upgrade.

Fly3
3rd Oct 2004, 14:58
I was chatting with some SIA crew here in NY last night and they are far from happy with the latest pay package forced down their necks by management. Perhaps more importantly for you there is rumoured to be a move afoot to slash all expat allowances such as accommodation and education to what they are referring to as market levels. That coupled with the present exchange rate to the pound for the Sing dollar should make it pretty obvious that a move to SIA at the moment is perhaps not the best idea.

screw fix diret
9th Oct 2004, 18:47
I was considering the cargo side of life. I can see that the Sing is depressed by about 10% over the last couple of years. With the growth in the far east set to continue could we not expect a rise again?

Virtual Reality
9th Oct 2004, 22:58
screw fix diret, if I were you, I will not consider Sing Cargo at all unless I am desperately need a job !!! CX Cargo or Dragonair Cargo is probably a better choice, mainly because almost all of the pilots and FEs are expats and offers better package than Sing Cargo. It is much better if you are either from Europe, NAM or OZ.

mooney59
10th Oct 2004, 11:28
''CX Cargo or Dragonair Cargo is probably a better choice, mainly because almost all of the pilots and FEs are expats and offers better package than Sing Cargo.''

I was told that the lower end of the housing allowence is HK$40000[$S8600].AndThat's just the housing allwc.

Virtual Reality
11th Oct 2004, 14:01
mooney59, FYI, there is no housing allwnce for cargo drivers because they are based either in Europe, NAM or OZ.

screw fix diret
26th Oct 2004, 14:00
Ive got an interview with Dragon air baseed in HK. No idea if its cargo or pax. Anybody give me a clue?

Virtual Reality
27th Oct 2004, 17:05
screw fix diret, kindly go to fragrant harbour/fragrant harbour wannabes forums, lots of info there. Good luck mate !!