PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue Recruitment

Sick Squid
2nd Jan 2003, 09:55
Virgin Blue Recruitment

SocialFlyer
6th Jan 2004, 15:39
Hi all....

I have an interview with VirginBlue on Monday and was wanting to get some info on what to expect at the assessment day...

-What activities are most commonly carried out?
-How many people attend on the day
-Any advice on what works best and what the recruiters are looking for?

Any info would help... I've been to a few Cabin Crew interviews in the past and worked as a Flight Attendant a few years back, however never attended a Virgin Interview.... I look forward to reading your responses, and thank you in advance for you help..

Cheers

SocialFlyer:ok:

SocialFlyer
7th Jan 2004, 13:19
Ok Guys...

I know there are a heap of you who have been to a Virgin Blue interview, so speak out now or forever hold your peace.....

Dont be Shy..... I'm waiting... (And desperate at the same time)!!

SocialFlyer...:ok:

smile
7th Jan 2004, 15:20
Hi Social Flyer,

My interview with Virgin Blue was over a year and half ago now. So I am guessing it may have changed a little. The format was quite simple..

1st interview- group interview- introduction spiel about the company, introduce yourself to the group, take part in a group activity. told that you will recieve a call or email.

2nd interview- one on one- lots of customer service questions- have lots of examples ready about both good and bad situations you have dealt with.

Medical

Quite a few of the crew I initially trained with had 3rd interviews as well. I think that they were one on one style interviews again.

My whole process took 3 days from 1st interview to job offer, however a friend of mine who started a couple of months ago took 2.5 months to complete the whole interview process.

Anyway best of luck. The best advice I can give you is to be yourself and smile smile smile.

love SMILE

SocialFlyer
7th Jan 2004, 18:39
Thanks Smile,

Greatly appreciated.... I guess at the end of the day that's all you can do, be yourself.... Ill keep you posted on the progress... I used to work for Virgin Blue back in 2000 when they first started as Ground Crew at Melbourne airport, but left to travel the world and work overseas for 1 year... Having come back now and worked for other companies I miss the Virgin team.....

Wish me Luck...

SocialFlyer
12th Jan 2004, 16:17
Hey all...

Had my Virgin Group assessment today and managed to get through to the one on one interview... They seem to have changed the recruitment day now...

The Group Interviews were held in the morning, there were two sessions, 08.30am and 10.30am.... In total between the two groups there were 60 people.. The Group interview part has not changed, it involved

Intro to the company
Introducing yourself
2 Group Activities (Card Game + Song and Dance???)

Once all the group interviews were finished everyone came back at 12.30 and they handed out envelopes which advised if you had been shortlisted to the one on one interview... Out of the 60 people they shortlisted around 15 people, and I was one of the lucky ones.....

I had my 1 on 1 interview at 1.00pm and it lasted for approximately 45minutes. The 1 on 1 interview was intense and had some tough questions which really put you on the spot.. I must say the recruiters were fantastic and really made an effort to make you feel comfortable.. Now I'm waiting to find out if I have made it to the Medical Stage... The interviewer did say that there are 2 ground schools going through in February and also March....

Overall the day was enjoyable.. I met some nice people and did have a laugh (especially singing and dancing:rolleyes: )... It was interesting to see the diverse range of people they had.. I feel the really did select a diverse range of individuals to stay back. There were ladies 40+, brunettes, short etc (not the Virgin stereotype) who made it through to the final interview, therefore I would say Virgin has really changed there recruitment standards....

To those who have been through the process could you please let me know how long it took you to find out if u made it to the Medical, once you had completed your one on one interview???? Hopefully the wait will not be too long..

Any questions just ask.... In the meantime Fingers Crossed I'm waiting by the phone....

OzFastAU
12th Jan 2004, 17:19
Hey SocialFlyer,

I also attended the day, and was successful in gaining an interview, however mine was not on the day, and I will have to wait via email to find the date.

You were talking a little about the interview. I was woundering if you could go into it in depth, give the rest of us a very good heads up, just so we can prepare?

Thanks for any infomation you have :)

Regards, Sean.

AndrewDima
13th Jan 2004, 02:27
howdy social flyer,

its your old friends from dubai wanting to wish you the best of luck, and say congrats for making it this far....you're a STAR!!!!!!!!

....soon you will 'really' will be FLYING!!!! haha, not unlike new years day:= :=

we've still got our fingers crossed to see you at EK one day.

See you in a few days,
Andrew & Kathy
xox

andyman_82
13th Jan 2004, 18:47
Hey everyone,

I just received an email from VIRGIN BLUE to attend an interview for CABIN CREW on 22nd January.

I was just wondering if anyone knows whats involved and has any tips can they please leave some information from me!

I have never been to an airline interview and I am soooooo nervous!

What should I expect?

Also has anyone here been to their interviews lately? Id love to hear from you!

andyman_82
14th Jan 2004, 06:54
some responses would be appreciated
thanks heaps

andyman:O

SydGirl
14th Jan 2004, 07:35
Mind if we get out of bed first?

Sheesh!
SG
;)

PS. Sorry can't help, have never been to a VB interview.

sofresh
14th Jan 2004, 07:47
congratulation:O
well done!
i'm just curious to know, you mentioned about the diversity of the people who successfully passed the first stage.... do you know if there's any Asian applicants who passed the first stage as well.

cheers
sofresh

QF skywalker
14th Jan 2004, 07:59
andyman,

Why don't you just read through the post by "social flyer" already being discussed on this bulletin board explaining what goes on in the DJ interview ? It's right in front of your face ! Stop wasting bandwitdh !

A search on pprune using the work "virgin blue cabin crew " will bring up some very interesting information for you.

Good Luck

SocialFlyer
14th Jan 2004, 14:09
Hey Guys...

I heard back from Virgin and I didn't make it through to the Medical stage. That's cool though, I'm happy to have made it to the final interview and the experience was worth it..

I've had a few private messages requesting info so I'll do my best to post what I can remember about the Group and One on One interview.. Here it goes....

Group Session:

When you arrive on the day you are required to register. Upon registration one should look at the interviewer and smile.. Many people did not seem welcoming or excited when they registered. We were informed by the recruiters that they assessed all applicants, body language, confidence, interpersonal skills and smile at the registration stage..

The two Group activities were

1. Build a Card Stack Tower in Groups. The aim of this is to see how you interact, not how good you can build. Don't be the know it all and act give instructions or demand.. Repeat what other people say, follow instructions, promote team work etc...

2. Design a Advertising Campaign (TV OR SONG)... The aim of this is simple.. Advertise a product.. I would recommend you encourage your group to do a song. Act like a complete idiot. Dance while you sing, and promote group interaction.. The aim of this task is to use team work, show how confident you are, ability to have fun, planning skills and following instructions.

During the group interview stage the interviewer made a interesting comment. On a flight you have limited time to make an impression, hence this is why they give limited time in the group activities stage.....

NOW! For those who make it through to the on on one interview, here are some of the questions that I was asked

1. Why do you want to be a Flight Attendant

2. Looking through your employment could you explain why you left such and such position

3. How do you cope with adaptibility? If your organisational structure changed without notice what measures would you take to ensure a smooth transition? Give an example?

4. Give a time you worked in a group context and a member of your team did not contribute! What did you do? How did the other team members feel?

5. Explain a time at work where a colleague was performing duties in a manner which posed a OHS risk to others. What did you do, how did they react.

6. Thinking about all your employment tell me what is the one job you have loved the most and what aspect of it was the best.

7. Tell me a time you ahve dealt with an aggressive customer who may have posed a threat to you? How did you deal with the situation. What procedures did you follow?

8. Think of a time where a customer has requested something which was impossible for you to provide? What did you do? How did you handle the situation?

9. What measurs do you take in your workplace to ensure that it is safe and risk free to others.

SO!!!!! That's the best I can do guys, might not be the exact question but it's close enough.. That's the bulk of it. The criteria used in the Group and One on One interview is

"confidence,teamwork, interpersonale
effectiveness,verbal communication, flair,presentation
and grooming, customer service orientation,
adaptability,"

Reflecting on my one on one interview I could have possibly answered a little better... I'll be more prepared next time (12 months that is :rolleyes:... Hope all this helps.. Good Luck to all those attending. I've got a Ground Crew interview with them next week and might try my luck at that...

Cheers all

SocialFlyer

PS.. SOFRESH, There were 2 asian female applicants on the day and both made it to the finals...

nikki_b
14th Jan 2004, 15:27
Socialflyer, first of all I would like to say well done to you for making it to the final stage that is a really good effort. And sorry to hear you that you didn't make it. You sound like a peson with lots of dedication and that will get you far so keep trying. And second of all I would like to say thank you for giving us the whole process and qustions throughout the interview. It s such a great help and trust me all of that information can give us a definite helping hand. Thank you again and good luck:ok:

From Nikki :D

andyman_82
14th Jan 2004, 19:15
Social flyer,

I am sorry to hear you didnt get in the Cabin Crew position, with your dedication and skills you will be in the air in no time.

Thankyou so much for your information regarding the DJ interview. You are a great help and I am sure any airline will award you for your skills and personality and offer you the position of your dreams.

Good luck in the future and once again thankyou very much.

sofresh
14th Jan 2004, 19:40
hi social flyer!
i'm sorry to hear that....... but well there's always next time and good luck to your ground crew application. i wish you'll get it. i heard if you are working as a ground crew with them, you have the opportunity to fly as well as part of your ground crew job which is great.
thank you for the tips :O
and all the best. any news from EK?

flightboi
15th Jan 2004, 09:55
Hi Guys,

I have been fortunate enough to have been interviewed for a cabincrew supervisor role. This was in Melb on 18th Dec. I made it through to the one on one and then had to take part in a role play excercise with another recruiter, (nothing too bad). i then had to wait about a week and recieved an e-mail to say that i'd made it through to the medical. I did that about 1 1/2 weeks ago and am now waiting the wait for that phone call.
Fingers crossed for all of us, hey
Flightboi:ok:

andyman_82
15th Jan 2004, 18:03
"Ladies and gentlemen boys and girls" I have my inteview next week for VB Cabin Crew and am very excited.

My passport is due to expire in April this year. I have to take a passport with me and want to know if anyone thinks I should really go and get my new passport done in the city where it takes 48 hours to get your new passport or should I just wait till after the interview and apply the normal way at the post office for a new aussie passport? I have the forms completed I just need ot get them finalised at the post office and sent off.

Im just worried that because my passport doesnt have much validity on it left that it could jeapordise my application?

Whats everyone elses thoughts on this.

SocialFlyer
15th Jan 2004, 19:57
Andyman,

If you do not have all the documentation required the Virgin Team are okay with this as long as you are in the process of obtaining appropriate certificates etc...

The exact information given was

"Those without first aid, RSA, passports etc can still go through the process however there file will go on pending if they make it to the medical stage"

Untill you have obtained all appropriate documents they will hold your file and once you fax it to them they will send you for the medical (that's for those who make it to this stage :rolleyes: !!!)...

I wouldnt stress too much at the moment. Relax and just have a good time.....

GoodLuck

flightboi
16th Jan 2004, 07:55
SocialFlyer, your wright. They are very relaxed about if you do not have all the documents at the time of intv. They just want to make sure you have them all before they progress you to the training stage.
Gookluck to you andyman. They are lovely people and make you feel very relaxed. I have been very impressed with the whole intv process. I have had my medical, so now i have to sit and wait.:ok:

QF skywalker
16th Jan 2004, 09:11
hi flightboi,

I am interested to know if you have any previous flying experience before being interviewed for the poistion of cabin supervisor with DJ. Were there other people there at the CS interviews who have no previous airline experience ? Did u meet any regional flight attendants from say Rex or QantasLink who fly on their own and are using their skills as solo flyers to gain a position with DJ as cabin supervisor.

Regards
QF SKY

;)

flightboi
18th Jan 2004, 19:15
Hi QF Skywalker,

Yes, i have flying exp for a regional carrier, but as a solo f/a and it was a few years ago. I guess they look at how well you work with the other candidates and how the day unfolds. Sure, having the flying exp helps, however i think they are looking at what other skills people can bring to the role. I dont think they base their decision entirely on if you have prevoius flying exp or not.
Cheers
Flighboi

OZcabincrew
18th Jan 2004, 19:23
Just out of general interest, has anyone outside of Melbourne, Brisbane or Sydney been invited to DJ interviews? It doesn't overly bother me, but from what i know of, DJ haven't interviewed in Perth for quite a while. Hopefully DJ aren't being biased and are giving applicants from all states a fair go. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

thanks

andyman_82
18th Jan 2004, 23:19
Hi guys/gals, I hear this is common at Virgin Blue

" Virgin Blue has its flair, Whats yours?"

Whats everyones flair?

My flair would have to be my ability to make friends easily. I find it easy to make friends when Im mixing with new people like in education or when i begin working some where new or when I''m out with a big friends. I also like to have fun and entertain people by making jokes and making people laugh. :O

QF skywalker
19th Jan 2004, 06:10
flightboi,

Thanks for the response. I was wondering if DJ also gave any indication as to how many direct entry CS they were taking and also if you have to fly as a line flight attendant first for a few weeks, rather than jumping straight into the CS role ?

Any info you could provide would be great, I know of many QF regional crew very interested in these positions.

Feel free to pvt me

QF SKY:ok:

flightboi
21st Jan 2004, 18:29
Hi Guys ,

Well i made it through with VB. I got a call today from cc recuitment. They have offered me a Cabincrew Supervisor role in Melb base. I 'm sooooo wrapped. I start my ground school on Mon 2nd Feb in Melb. Yeahhhhhh.....!!!!!!!!!

Hope to see some of you at ground school.
Flightboi:ok:

ozskipper
22nd Jan 2004, 06:20
Hey FB

Congrats.... Always nice to see some postive movement in the industry!

Cheers

andyman_82
22nd Jan 2004, 10:55
hi guys looks like virginblue werent intersted in me :{

but not gunna be dissapointed, plenty more opportunities out there. got a real taste of the job though, feels really tiring and stressful. If any virginblue staff are reading this, do you seriously have fun while your at work ?

thanks for ur support guys and goodluck for those in the recruitment proccess.

Andyman:D

Wanttobecc
22nd Jan 2004, 12:14
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, have applied for VB Cabin Crew and got through the group interviews today.

Just want to see if anyone else had the same feeling as me.

Weren't the recruiters just sooooooo nice, ice-breakers, calming people down, they are not stupid, they know everyone is nervous, but to even tell people in the successful letters to keep it calm as most were not successful shows a professional approach.

Some suggestions for those attending the group discussions. BE YOURSELF! It is so easy to slip into fake mode and the recruiters are right on the ball and know what they want. If you are not successful, don't be sad, I noticed many people almost in tears, their are many directions in life, perhaps the direction for CC could come later rather than sooner as the recruiter mentioned at the end, whilst handing out the letters. Time to reflect what you really want perhaps.

Met some fantastic people! Their were all sorts, but most of all the people chosen did look the part of a CC, so i guess a lot of effort went into choosing candidates.

Again, keep your chin up those that were not selected, you will meet many interesting people and get to see some aeroplanes in your break at least

Take care all and good luck

TrafficBoy
22nd Jan 2004, 12:46
hey andyman,

sorry to hear you didnt make it through... but there will be plenty of other opportunities down the track, maybe it just wasnt your time this time.

Yes, there IS a lot of pressure and stress in the job - but can honestly say that we DO have a LOT of fun in our job. it isnt just a myth, and I am often in stitches of laughter while at work! there are SO many funny people out there working for us!

Dont be disheartened by today... your time will definately come!

tB

sofresh
23rd Jan 2004, 01:31
i'm sorry to hear that!
i attended the interview today. it was great.
you are right. they changed their recruit process. there were two or four asian applicants who made to the finalssss i think.
wow!
all the best to you socialflyer!

SocialFlyer
23rd Jan 2004, 13:37
Hey All...

As you all know I had my Cabin Crew interview last week, made it to the final interview and was then rejected:{ !!!!

Anyway, This week I attended the Group interview for Guest Services (Ground Crew) and once again made it to the final interview.... Today I've just found out I made it to the medical stage and am in total shock... Fingers crossed I make it through....:confused: .....

Virgin is amazing in getting back to you.. On both occassions I had a response within 24 hours.. There is no giving you the run around...

To all out there, dont give up... Persistence will get you everywhere......

Take care and keep me updated on your progress

Cheers

cabin secure
23rd Jan 2004, 14:26
Hey guys

Don't despair. I have been interviewed for the cabin crew role with DJ 3 times.
I was finally successful on my 4th attempt. And will be flying as a Cabin Supervisor.

QF Skywalker
After initial CS training direct entry CS's spend 2 weeks on line as cabin crew before heading back into CS training.
I have 8 years experience as a cabin manager with Ansett, as well as flight attendant experience with Ansett, Sunstate (before Qantas ownership) America West and Australian airlines.
In total 17 years.

Wanttobecc
23rd Jan 2004, 17:13
Hi there!

How did u go OZFAST?

Did u get an interview scheduled?

Guess so many people went to group interviews that is why had to interview u at a later date.

P.S anyone know whether their is panel interview after one on one? have not heard about this, but I'm told airlines normally do this?

For those that had their interviews scheduled, was it also at airport?

Cheers

SocialFlyer
23rd Jan 2004, 17:31
Hi Wanttobecc...

There is no panel interview after the 1 on 1 interview. If you make it through the one on one interview they will send you for your medical and then contact your references.. That's it...

In the past I think Virgin sometmes called people back after there 1 on 1 for another short interview.. However, I believe this is no longer practice... One of the girls who recently got through went through the process like this

Monday: Group Interview + 1 on 1 interview in the afternoon

Wednesday: Contacted to attend a Medical

Friday: Had a Medical

Wednesday: Contacted an offered to start in 2 weeks.....

As you can see fast and efficient, no messing around.... If your interviewed is rescheduled it will be at the airport again...

I hope this answers some of your questions... Feel free to ask if you need anything else...

Cheers...

Wanttobecc
24th Jan 2004, 06:47
thanks for that.

I have been so impressed with Virgin Blue quite overwhelmed actually. My friends have told me horror stories of Emirates Airlines out of Dubai, so have not applied even though I understand they need thousands of cabin crew. I would be proud to work for Virgin Blue, all I hear is complaint afer complaint after complaint about Emirates, other than they make good money because tax free but what is money anyways?

good luck with your position, why were you so surprised having domne it before i thought u would walk in, and no need to be interviewed.

Bye for now

If anyone out there going for virginblue I thouroghly recommend it. they are just brilliant group of people, even if I don't get through i'll bragg for ever more

as ground crew will u get same travel benefits as cabin Crew?

do u know how long it takes to get travel benefits 6months? 1 year?

what sort of benefits, only dscount on Virgin Blue or 1d 90 type of thing on all carriers worldwide... assuming Virgin group discounts right?

anyone know anything about this?

where does Virgin CC stay in Gold Coast?
Broome?
Cairns/

C Ya

Wanttobecc
24th Jan 2004, 09:52
one more thingy

if one was too succeed all the way through to medical and then be offered a job, but that person could not for some reason start until 6-8 months later, do you think the airline would simply put the applicant in "hold' position until a training in that part of the year, or chances all lost and have to reapply all over again?????

andyman_82
24th Jan 2004, 12:04
hey social flyer im curious when u went to the ground crew interview did they mention the EBA details?

congratulations cabin secure!

QF skywalker
24th Jan 2004, 14:16
wanttobec,

I couldn't resist to not pull you up on what you have said about emirates and virgin blue.
I would be proud to work for Virgin Blue, all I hear is complaint afer complaint after complaint about Emirates, other than they make good money because tax free but what is money anyways?

Money ? Ask the Virgin girls what money is honey, they need more for the hard work they perform and f/a unfriendly working conditions. Don't be so deluded about what it might be like to a work for a company purely based on the dealings with the girls from HR.

Also all of the whingers who complain about EK are the ones who are already living back home in oz after 2months away from Australia and couldn't hack being away from home - they are not the ones who have made a career out of emirates as friends of mine have done and love it. Please remember that virgin blue is no emirates - EK are a full service long haul airline so time zone differences, long haul flights and a much broader range of nationalities to deal with are all part of your day. I am not saying that virgin staff don't work hard but it would be stupid to compare the two and simply write off EK just because a couple of your friends couldn't hack it - we've heard it all before.

You seem enthusiastic and congratulations on that, but I think you need to get a little more clued in before you mouth off.

Wanttobecc
24th Jan 2004, 15:19
I understand what u r trying to say, compare fish with dogs.

however u r obviously not one of tens of thousands that have been humiliated apparently at Emirates Open Days, I have it all, as someone taped what the Recruitment people stated at Opening Day, and boy u can count me as one of the ones that will definitely NOT APPLY WITH THIS RIDICULOUS AIRLINE.

yes it is a good carrier and yes it has modern planes but of course it does stupid, it uses it's oil as revenue not bums in seats. My Dad came back from Europe plane was empty, a relative came back from N.Z plane had about 22 people on it, another friend just came back from Dubai, the connection was empty........oil money bucko that is what they put on revenue...... Dubai has the 3rd largest mafia in the world, now don't u read the forums, how is it that Emirates discriminates like crazy 'Oil money" and nothing is done about it.

What about the outspoken C Crew that have gone to Head Offices and myseriously are back in their countries, certainly not by choice, given 48hrs to vacate their shared apartment, a **** load of deductions from their pay and told not to return. don't you read the New York Times? What goes up must come down...... Emirates hireing 1,000 CC in 4 months.......if my Grandmother applied she would get through, I even know of one person that did not even go to O.Day, was interviewed and then put into the last part of training and is up in the air after 2 weeks because they did not have enough CC for their expansions....... PLEASE

Give me Richard Branson any day honey!!!

Once V .Atlantic reaches Australian shores mid year Virgin will rule the world, bite my words!!!

QF skywalker
24th Jan 2004, 15:52
wanttobec,

You are even more deluded than I thought - and just to think I was being nice in my first post directed to you.

The only thing I will be "biting" miss thang is my tounge when you start spreading your wisdom amongst other virgin blue crew members if they choose to employ you. I'll keep quiet and listen for stories of you tripping over your dribbling mouth down the aisle of the aircraft as you educate your pax and fellow crew on how horrible EK are and how virgin is going to rule the world.

As for EK, you are WRONG - the EK loads are great. They are doing very well especially in Australia - so much so they are giving QF an a** whoop on AKL flights and SIN flights. EK do not just hire anyone, a virgin blue friend of mine just got turned down by them last saturday.

Maybe a career in fiction novels would be a good career path for you - a novel on the Dubai Mafia would make for great reading.

Wanttobecc
25th Jan 2004, 05:38
I stick with my words...

the novel on the dubai mafia...well I have already that, the company guidelines for EK.
As for your friend that did not get through to EK, it wasn't your GREAT GRANDMOTHER that was Israeli was it not? Give me a break hardly anybody decent gets refused at EK, it is according to my friends the easiest and quickest in the industry and the most stupidest. Recruiters called one of my friends at 2.00a.m in the morning to say they got the job, my friend was so pissed, he turned around and told them to learn about time differences and gave them the scrap. Thankfully he now has a a gr8 position in Europe and he says all the ex EK's are moving there, if they have the right passports.
As I said b4 what goes up always goes down, happened to Qantas with Virgin ruling, happened to British Airways with Virgin ruling, will happen to The American airlines once Virgin starts there under "I think it is. Virgin Red".

cabin secure
25th Jan 2004, 07:58
Can't resist posting now!

Emirates operates out of Dubai therefore working conditions vary greatly from those in Australia.

Australian law dictates that our working environment has occupational health and safety rules.
Our unions ensure adequate rest periods and other conditions for us.
Emirates crews aren't afforded these luxuries.
I also have friends at Emirates.
Their experiences have been disappointing, however you need to take into account they have previous experience in the industry. When you have known no better, it is easier to be accepting of your working conditions.
Emirates crew work very long hours with often minimum rest periods. There isn't any crew rest area on their aircraft, so crew operate long sectors without adequate rest.
With the ever increasing value of the Australian dollar, the wages are no longer as attractive as they once were. ( The crew are paid in local currency). I believe it is now around A$28 000 pa. Plus allowances.
When you take into account the housing benefits, you will be on similar money if you stay and work in Australia.
Life in Dubai is also tough.
You really need to make an effort to branch out and find other interests.

Emirates is a world class airline, there is no disputing that.
But you will burn out quickly.
As in any shift working position you need to eat well and get adequate sleep and exercise.

Anyone applying to EK, don't let my post influence you. It has always been my experience, that if you have no expectations, then you will not be disappointed.
Life is a journey.
I have flown both internationally and on exchange overseas with an American airline, as well as domestically, and regionally within Australia.
I would not change a thing, given the opportunity to do so.
You'll get to meet interesting people wherever you go. And

that's why we love it!
That's why we do it!

SkySista
27th Jan 2004, 12:57
...Wanttobecc.....

the old adage "not everything you hear is true".... re; the rumor mill.... and even if it is, it's not often a great career move to be badmouthing other companies to people you work with -may just show you up as someone with a bad attitude.... nothing wrong with friendly "competition", but repeating everythingthing you hear - especially "nasty" comments, true or not - is another thing entirely.....

I am not CC but if I were you I'd seriously consider not :mad: off everyone in this forum, as you will likely want help/advice in the future.... better to keep everyone happy, eh? ;)

Just a friendly reminder.....

Sky

PS - Congrats everyone who got in!! Well done you!!!:ok:

RyanE
31st Jan 2004, 14:22
Hey guys,

I was just wondering how long it was before you were invited to the assesment centre with DJ from the time you applied online?

I hate waiting! :P

Cheers

Ryan :)

SocialFlyer
31st Jan 2004, 15:28
Hey Ryan..

When I applied for Cabin Crew I waited around 1 month, however I have heard of people waiting for ages.. What I suggest you do is keep on sending the application through on staff cv every month. By doing so at least you know they are constantly looking at it. Also possibly send them an email and tell them you are anxiously waiting and have never been interviewed by them before. On the day I attended one guy called them 4 days before the Melbourne interviews and asked if he could come along, they allowed him to do so and he got through...

Goodluck with that, I've had my medical with them last week for Guest Services and now waiting by the phone, fingers crossed :oh: .....

Cheers

SocialFlyer

Wanttobecc
2nd Feb 2004, 10:48
when i went with my friend, their were some people that waited months and months, others only 3 days. Depends what u have on your application. If u have what the airlines want and their happens to be an Open Day then it is logical one will be selected.
Good luck

RyanE
2nd Feb 2004, 15:59
Oh my god well I heard back today, and I've been invited to the Assesment Day in Brisbane next Wednesday the 11th Feb!

Anyone else here going to that particular day?

Thank goodness for all the advice that has already been posted on here is all I can say!!

Cheers

Ryan :)

scarletlucy
3rd Feb 2004, 07:25
hey everyone,

I'm a bit curious as to who gets invited to assessment days. Is it everyone who meets all the requirements? Just wondering if it goes deeper than that? I mean, I have my RSA, Senior First Aid, lots of experience in hospitality/customer service, and all the other necessary criteria that the web page lists....

I guess I'm just hoping to be invited. One day! Cheers.

littlemissmel
6th Feb 2004, 08:20
Yes i have always wondered the same, how do they pcik peopl for interviews etc? Cos i meet all the airlines requirements..... jsut wondering if anyone knows an answer to this?

Wanttobecc
6th Feb 2004, 09:35
unfortunately unless u r are recruiter or a good friend of a recruiter u will never really know.

Their are many things that the airlines look for, some like Emirates discriminate heavily, others want a broad mix of people.

Virgin Blue for instance recruited very young and attractive, but that seems to have changed as most people are concerned for safety. That been said, young ones and attractive ones are not necessarily stupid.

Their are certain occupations that "trigger" a certain interview this person,a nd the occupations are quite surprising. Not the hotel, waiter/tress, bar man/girl receptionist, etc..... these are what most of us feel as typical customer service positions.... yet would u believe, that firemen, paramedics and very very high are Nannies and Nurses. If u r one of these and present well, u can just about pick your airline.

hope this clears matters!

Wirraway
15th Feb 2004, 03:12
Sun "The Sunday Age"

Finding new wings after the Ansett crash
By Liz Gooch
February 15, 2004

http://www.theage.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1076548274942_2004/02/14/marilla_watson,0.jpg
After almost two years on the ground following the collapse of Ansett, Marilla Watson prepares to take to the skies again as a flight attendant - this time with Virgin Blue.
Picture: Wayne Taylor

Almost two years after she made her last emotional journey on an Ansett flight, Marilla Watson is about to return to the skies, having swapped the Ansett uniform for that of Virgin Blue.

Speaking to The Sunday Age immediately after she finished her five-week training course, Ms Watson said she was looking forward to her graduation ceremony, where she will receive her Virgin "wings".

Ms Watson was one of the 1600 flight attendants and 760 pilots who lost their jobs with the collapse of Ansett.

She was to serve her first Virgin customers yesterday on a flight from Melbourne to Sydney - her first time in the air since her seven-year career with Ansett ended on March 4, 2002. "I'll be nervous but I'll be really excited, I can't wait," she said.

During the past two years Ms Watson, 31, worked at Sotheby's auction house and in real estate, but she really wanted to fly again.

"It was a struggle. It was very hard to get used to nine to five, Monday to Friday. I discovered what the real world was all about," she said.

After trying four airlines, she was "absolutely over the moon" when Virgin called.

"I'm extremely, extremely fortunate and so lucky to be in the position I'm in now and I will take this and go far with it.

"I'm going to try so hard and be such a success in this because I realised what a great career it was and what the airlines are about once I lost it."

While joining a new company can sometimes be a daunting experience, Ms Watson had three former Ansett colleagues in her training school for company.

"We all knew what we'd gone through. We all know how lucky we are because we know people who would cut off their right arm to be in the position that we're in," she said.

Ms Watson has taken to her new role with enthusiasm, endorsing her new company to her former customers.

"Any ex-Ansett travellers should come and fly Virgin because they'll start seeing a lot more friendly Ansett faces in the sky," she said.

==========================================

australian boy
15th Feb 2004, 15:30
:D Hey guys, I have a Cabin Crew interview with Virgin Blue, does anyone know what male applicants should wear eg: suit, shirt, tie or no tie, I worked for virgin blue in 2000 when they first started operations and they had a no tie policey, it may have changed a little now. Also i am a Flight Attendant currently with the Qantas group at the moment, would that be looked down upon any help would be fantastic.

cheers Australian Boy:D :D

OperationsNormal
26th Feb 2004, 07:57
What are the DJ tech crews like to overnight with ?

Good fun or boring ??

australian boy
1st Apr 2004, 01:02
:O :O

Hey guys, I have just been accepted in to Virgin based in Melbourne. Is anyone else starting training in late April.

cheers Australian boy :O

Virgo.blue
6th May 2004, 03:41
:confused:
Howdy guys!!

Three weeks ago I attended a Virgin Blue "Blue Star Day" on the 16th of April. It was the best interview I've ever had, I left feeling very confident - I scored a 2nd interview, made the panel laugh, answered all the Q's well and positively.

However do they contact applicants (who had a 2nd interview)
of failure?

Also I appiled for the Melbounre base at a Brisbane seminar, after the crew suggested there was greater oppurtunity.

Is it possible that I'm on a short list or should I give up hope and accept defeat. Please any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Virgo.blue :(

smile
6th May 2004, 05:53
Hi Virgo Blue,

Congratualtions on getting through to the second round.

Things have changed alot in the HR department since I was employed. Back then you found out within a day or two (or a couple of hours- in my case) if you were successful into the next round.

I had a member of the recruiting team on one of my flights the other day and she mentioned that they are recruiting for MEL base at the moment, she also said that at this time BNE may not recruit for approx 6 months ( but this could change tomorrow). I also saw a group of recruiters getting off a flight in MEL the other day so I think that it is full steam ahead for MEL.

If I was you I would give head office a call and ask to speak to someone in recruiting (explain that you have had an interview already and just want to know if you are successful to the next stage, or you won't get past reception). When you chat to them let them know again that you are more than happy to transfer to MEL.

I wish I could help you out more but privacy laws prevent anyone other than yourself (not even the person who recommended you) from finding out the status of your application.

Best of luck and let me know how you go.

love SMILE

Pink^Wings
8th May 2004, 06:09
Hi All,

I have just been recruited for the Melbourne Based Virgin Blue Cabin Crew Team!

I begin my training at Melbourne Airport in early June!

I CAN NOT WAIT! :)

Does anybody else start in this same group?

I'd love to hear of others in my same boat!

Pink Wings xo

mez78
12th May 2004, 05:06
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knows how strict Virgin are with their policy that you cannot attend an interview for a year after you have already had one. I waited over a year for an interview and choked very badly on the day, can honestly call it the worst day of my life. I know I am Virgin Blue material and want to show them but a year is such a long time. I am almost 26 and have wanted to be a flight attendant forever but for many reasons have not had the courage to seriously pursue it till now.
And I have read extensively about Aussie airlines and VB is the one I really want to work for.
Does anyone have any advice or comments? Does anyone know anyone that somehow got to go to another open day within the 12 months?
Sorry about the above ramble and thanks in advance!

Sky_hi!
13th May 2004, 01:45
Hi Guys!
I'm new to this little forum, but what a forum! Its awesome, my friend told me about it. You guys are full of such good advice, thankyou so much!

I put my application for Virgin in last week after hearing about an advert in The Age. So my fingers are crossed! I'm from the Gold Coast but are willing to relocate to the cold if I get a chance to be a Flight Attendant!

Just a question: I was talking to a girl who told me that she didn't get accepted into Virgin as she had a degree. I have a degree also, but I can't see how this would effect your application if you have the nessasary customer service exp, personality, presentation etc that Virgin Blue are looking for. What are everyone elses thoughts on this?

Thanks for the great posts :ok: :ok:

ozskipper
13th May 2004, 04:00
Thats total bullocks! I know of several DJ flight attendants who have degree's (in fact one has two!)....

Perhaps your friend may have misunderstood why she was unsuccessful.

Good luck with your application! ;)

Sky_hi!
13th May 2004, 06:37
I thought it was bullocks! I think she did misunderstand why she was unsuccessful (this girl didn't look like Paris Hilton for nothing if you know what I mean....) ;)

Thanks for your help!

fourplay
26th May 2004, 00:26
I have an invitation to an assessment day in MEL next month.
Does anyone have an update on the process as it can change from month to month...thanks.

my Virgin flair is packed and ready to perform in MEL!
make the b:mad:ers laugh :} :} :} :}

Elle
26th May 2004, 01:04
Hi fourplay

Thats great news, good luck!!!!

I've also sent you a PM :D

fourplay
31st May 2004, 02:27
Anyone been to the DJ recruitment seminar in the last couple of months?

Not heard from anyone re- my above post :(

Wirraway
1st Jun 2004, 06:54
Virgin Blue on their site is calling for applications for flight
attendents in Melbourne the site is:

http://www.bfound.net/employers.aspx?CoId=43

Wirraway

mez78
2nd Jun 2004, 09:00
Hi fourplay, I went to an assessment in March and it was exactly how its been described in all posts I have read here, same games etc. Sorry I cant give you a newer update.

I didn't make it through so still have 9 more months to wait till I can try again! Heartwrenching especially when they are still advertising Melbourne positions!!!

Sky_hi!
3rd Jun 2004, 03:40
Hi Fourplay

How long did you have your application in before you got your invitation? I have had an application in for a month and haven't heard anything yet.

fourplay
4th Jun 2004, 02:20
Two weeks after placing application on Staff CV.
I was nominated by a staff member as a Blue Star with previous F/A experience.

Summa
7th Jun 2004, 04:31
I attended a VB assessment day aproximately a month and a half ago and the format is still very similar to what has already been posted here.

They are a fun airline and from my experience on the day they were after people with a certain flair. So if you are to attend you could wear just about anything. Some applicants were dressed as if going out to a club. But seriously, most girls who got through wore a nice skirt, either black, grey, beige, chocolate colour with a white shirt, either plain or striped. One girl had a black skirt with black and white of the shoulder top but she was really gorgeous, bubbly girl with beautiful blond hair and full of confidence and she got through to the second round.
At the table with the activities, really smile, be full of confidence, you will have activities (card game etc). Really get involved, dont sit back.
If you can sing or dance, put alot of effort into it and show that you can because on their flights there is no tv, movies etc, you are the entertainment.
I would love to tell you more about the interview but did not get through to the second round,
Good luck, I hope this helps,
:O

fourplay
9th Jun 2004, 21:19
Thanks gorge, has helped. ;)

RaverFlaver
27th Jul 2004, 00:37
Heya all,

It seems as though the recruitment has slowed down a little or been a little quiet at DJ lately. Is this right or am I wrong?

Just havent heard of anyone going through or anything happening since the last post on here.

How did you go fourplay?

Does DJ have any new jets on the way?

Hope all is going well,

Theeya's :)

fourplay
27th Jul 2004, 23:55
No good luv!
Had too much virgin flair I think.
The old AN b:mad:ch at my table sent me off at lunch time.
Jelouse beacause I was more beautifula than her :} :} :}

Next audition this weekend ;)

RaverFlaver
28th Jul 2004, 00:57
Sorry to hear,

Best of luck for the coming weekend :)

Fingers crossed.

Raver :)

juliets*jet
3rd Aug 2004, 04:26
I have been a Flight Attendant for over 6 months.. I'm really wanting to get into VB or anyone slse but i can't even get an interview? I'm on staff CV and i just don't understand.. what's going on? I know of people who have no experiance and get interviews..
any one have any answers?

:oh:

OzDJCabinCrew
31st Oct 2004, 04:31
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone knows what's going on with Cabin Crew recruitment at Virgin Blue at the moment?

I've heard rumours that they're on a freeze at the moment cause they have too many? Anyone know??

Cheers

Scotty

wirgin blew
7th Nov 2004, 12:22
I heard that they might be holding off till Jan next year. I believe they just started another school in Mel in the last couple of weeks,so that should see out the year.

Galley Power
8th Nov 2004, 14:52
Hey!

I've been told by cabin crew of DJ that they've recruited heaps and have had waiting pools (like Qantas' short lists in other words). One by one they're calling them for ground schools. And yes, Jan recruitment is the next rumoured one, but is it for Perth base!?!

GP

Dookie on Drums
9th Nov 2004, 04:35
Next recruitment is around mid January....17th springs to mind and is more than likely to be for MEL basings.......recruitment for BNE basings to follow shortly after that.

That's the plan at this stage anyway!:)

All the very best with it! No plans for a PER base to my knowledge nor have I heard any rumours of one.
:ok:

Paris_flyer
11th Nov 2004, 22:59
Hey there hopefuls,
It just so happens that Virgin Blue is recruiting in Nov in BNE.
I have an interview which I am over the moon about! I heard they were also recruiting for other bases early next year so good luck guys!

SkySista
12th Nov 2004, 01:32
Good luck Paris (and anyone else who gets an interview)

I am sure with your smiles and happy attitude you will go far, all the best for the recruitment! :)

Sky

amongthestars
20th Nov 2004, 04:53
Hi, my friend, who works for VB, is nominating me as a shooting star (someone they know who they think would be good as cabin crew for VB). She wasn't sure whether by nominating me that it would just get me invited to an assessment day or you go straight past that and get an actual interview. Anyone know?

fourplay
20th Nov 2004, 07:09
Hey gorge,

The term is Blue star.
A staff member nominates you through the internal website, They have to sware to God you are a potential virgin and all that.
At the same time you need to apply online at staffcv.

You will be rocketed to the top of the list you little que jumper you.
:p :p :p as soon as they are recruiting again you will be one of the first to be contacted.
There are no g/tees you will get beyond the assessment day, however you have a head start.

Don't forget to read all the previous posts on here and pack your Virgin flair on the day!

bon chance :} :} :}

Paris_flyer
28th Nov 2004, 02:48
Well I didn't get into VB.
I don't know why because I thought I was fully prepared. Out of about 60 of us only like 10 got in, one of which was already employed with Pacific Blue (but he was a really nice guy!).
I htink I was too nervous in the initial interview - it's all I can think of.
12 months to wait, don't think I'll even re-apply. They said they are taking heaps of internal staff for the positions anyway.
We barely stood a chance.
PF

OzDJCabinCrew
9th Jan 2005, 07:23
Hey everyone!

Was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about Cabin Crew recruitment with Virgin Blue in 2005?? Will there be as much as there was last year????

Cheers :)

Dookie on Drums
9th Jan 2005, 11:19
I shall find out tomorrow! :)

Last I heard was a BNE recruitment would be early March and I think an MEL one before that.

Will confirm this tomorrow evening :ok:

Good luck!

littlemissmel
22nd Jan 2005, 03:22
Last I heard was a BNE recruitment would be early March and I think an MEL one before that.

Does anyone know if this is correct??? Was the Perth base just a rumour?

Lewis AAC
22nd Jan 2005, 05:16
I heard they are opening ADL base instead of PER?? Any truth to that rumour?

sinala1
22nd Jan 2005, 05:26
I heard they are opening ADL base instead of PER?? Any truth to that rumour?
In a word, no! :ok:

Feasibility studies currently underway to determine if 3rd base is required and where it would be - and I can tell you now that PER is definately the most operationally logical place to open a base - no reason to open one in ADL - there is already more than sufficient coverage there from the MEL base...

Cheers and good luck!

jesski
26th Jan 2005, 06:23
I heard a rumour that virgin have been turning away some of the younger applicants at the group interviews just to see how keen they are by if they come back again in 12 months...

any views on this???

GoGirl
29th Mar 2005, 06:16
I wanted to bring this back to the top as I am aware of a newbie lurker to PPRuNe who was wanting some info and hasn't figured out the 'search' function yet :E

GG

resboy
29th Mar 2005, 10:50
nice to see this thread surfacing again ... anyone with any info/goss etc... for those of us on the outer? :D thanks :ok:

littlemissmel
29th Mar 2005, 11:54
hey GoGirl if you were referring to me as the newbie lurker, just letting you know I'm not really a newbie and I do know the search button, I use it quite often......I just decided to start a new thread thats all.
if you weren't referring to me, no worries either :)

GoGirl
31st Mar 2005, 22:12
Actually, it wasn't until long after I'd made that last post I realised that you might have thought I was referring to you, but alas, no!

Here, I go, off on a tangent!

Basically, in the town where I live, I part-own a small store, and a lovely young lady came in the other day looking for some help with an outfit she was wearing to a DJ interview, and later, an EK one.
I asked her if she knew of the existance of PPRuNe, to which she hadn't, and provided her the details, and told her to take a look in CC forum.
I then noticed that the DJ recruitment thread had slipped down the pages of the forum, and rather than explain how she search, I did what I subsequently did :ok:
Hope that makes sense. And if the young lady is reading this, then all the best for your interviews, and I hope you found some helpful information in here ;)

Ok, tangent over :O

GG!

wirgin blew
3rd Apr 2005, 07:55
I continue to see internal adds for CC recruitment MEL only so one could only assume they are still recruiting and training.

Flirt Attendant
3rd Apr 2005, 09:17
The internal recruitment has been ongoing or months. Many guest services and pit crew staff have transferred across.

If you apply for a ground job, you can trasfer to cabin crew after 9 months. There is an extremely high number of staff who do this!!!

roosterboy
7th Apr 2005, 02:31
Hi all,
I've been reading thru all the forum posts thus far and have found them all helpful - except for one thing - what should I wear to the Cabin Crew interview with Virgin? I am a guy, 27 yo and can't find anything about it in previous posts. Should I go busiess like with a suit, or more cas?
Would really appreciate anyone's help, my interview is in a couple of weeks.
Cheers, Rooster

Flying Frypan
8th Apr 2005, 00:03
Hi Rooster boy,

As a female I can only give you advice on the type of outfit that I have seen progressed to the next round.
I don't think you need to go out and buy a suit if you don't have one, but I would suggest very neat casual or business shirt and tie.
Perhaps something you would wear to an expensive restaurant on a first date kinda thing.

Hope this helps.

blue_stew
8th Apr 2005, 00:11
Virgin interviews used to not be all that formal (boys uniform is pretty casual) so assuming nothing has changed from when I went through - smart casual is the go (ie: business shirt, no tie, dress pants, polished shoes, 'clean cut' grooming).

roosterboy
8th Apr 2005, 04:18
Thanks for that, it helps because I was about to go out and buy a new suit - I have to say I still feel kinda strange not wearing a suit to a job interview though...

emmathestar
8th Apr 2005, 16:10
what is virgin blue?!!

SkySista
9th Apr 2005, 09:19
Ok, this question is so obvious it can't be a wind up...! :p

Think VS, but in Oz, and a lo-co. Oh, and contrary to the name, all the jets are red. That's logic for ya. Something to do with the Aussie thing of calling redheads "Bluey", or so I'm told...

Sky

emmathestar
10th Apr 2005, 18:31
I see! sorry had a dappy moment!

NewDJHostie
11th Apr 2005, 23:34
Hi there,
Is there anyone on here who is starting training in Melbourne on the 2nd of May?
Send me a PM so we know each other in school!
:)

Flirt Attendant
12th Apr 2005, 01:20
There are a couple of ground crew who have made the transfer over to cabin crew. I know 3 of them that start on 2nd May...all lovely people. You will have a great time!!!!!!

OZcabincrew
13th Apr 2005, 07:01
Hi!!!

It just annoys me that there are lots of people that i know with fantastic personalities who would love to fly with DJ, except they don't want to have to stand up in interviews infront of people and dance and sing, yet they would be fantastic onboard!!!! DJ are missing out on a lot of great people!

australian boy
14th Apr 2005, 00:27
:O Hey guys good luck with DJ, I started with Virgin in 2000 at start up and left and flew with an international airline for a while and rejoind Virgin cabin crew a year ago. The recruitment process has changed somewhat you dont have to dance and sing anymore and there has been more people recruited with airline experience eg: ex Ansett and in the 40-50 age group which is fantastic, crew are not as young as it used to be. Virgin has a good future ahead of it now with the take over by patrick corp and there is also the Virgin Atlantic exchange program for the Cabin Crew. take care and goodluck.

australian boy:O

Legal_Counsel
22nd Apr 2005, 08:10
I have flown a few times with VirginBlue and I found initially their approach didn't suit. However, I think the legacy of that era will take some time to dissolve. My most recent flight was last Friday and I still do not think they are getting it together. Look don't get me wrong, their teams are professional on their safety demonstrations. However, the airline would have to make a huge cultural change to overcome the public perception of what it used to be.

OZcabincrew
23rd Apr 2005, 06:51
first impressions last

blue_stew
24th Apr 2005, 06:07
For anyone who is interested: Had a member of the training dept. paxing on my flight the other day. She said BNE base is full to the brim with crew (I guess thats why we are all getting so many AVL and APT), so the only way to get into VB externally is through MEL where they are still putting through classes. There is a wait list of people wanting to transfer to BNE.

stevemelb
24th Apr 2005, 06:34
Hi Australian Boy,

You say the recruitment process has changed. No more song and dance. Thats great...about time. Any ideas on what to expect now without all that carry on. I know of alot of people who did not apply for virgin, because of there previous way of conducting recruitment sessions.

appreciate any info.

steve

craic1510
26th May 2005, 10:28
Ha ha I just got my very first invitation in 3 years to a Virgin Blue interview day in Melbourne next month....go figure :P

craic1510

misscroft
26th May 2005, 13:08
Hey,

First of all CONGRATULATIONS :ok:
Also it wouldnt happen to be on the 8th June would it?
Coz i have an invite but because i have only just replied to say i'm coming they have not yet sent me the location of the interview, all i know is that it is for MEL base.

Thanks
Lara

SkySista
26th May 2005, 14:48
ROFL!!

Oh, Craic, you do have the most weird luck of any person I know! :p

First they won't give you an interview, then as soon as EK give you the go-ahead, they ask you!

Now if that isn't some cosmic joke... lol

Well, look at it this way... DJ don't get a cool hat... the planes are smaller.. oh of course then there's the small matter of going to DBX and all of the benefits too! :}

Sky

PS - Miss Croft, I got invited too - about 6 days after I have already told them I couldn't come to the one a couple of days ago! I dunno.... lol..... maybe they thought I could sell the contents of my house in the next 8-10 days? :E

misscroft
6th Jun 2005, 12:56
Hi,

Just thought i'd bring this back to the top again :D
Will i see anyone in Melbourne on wed for their recruitment?

Lara

18-Wheeler
22nd Jun 2005, 07:36
Give Phee a chance !!!!!!!

misscroft
22nd Jun 2005, 08:33
Huh?
What do you mean "Give Phee a chance"?
Are you Phee?

18-Wheeler
23rd Jun 2005, 06:41
Huh?
What do you mean "Give Phee a chance"?
Are you Phee?

Phee is a female mate of mine on another forum that's looking at becoming a VB F/A.
She's a great candidate I reckon.

QFRegional
23rd Jun 2005, 06:46
I noticed Reggie from Big Brother didnt last very long what happened? I thought it was her dream.

SkySista
23rd Jun 2005, 07:40
Regional,

where did you hear that? Saw her a few months back in that Woolies food magazine, they had a big article about her....

Shame if she's left, but maybe Reggie and DJ/the work didn't suit each other as well as first thought??

QFRegional
23rd Jun 2005, 08:23
Was in the Sydney Sunday Tele social pages about 2 weeks ago and another article in Sydney confidential (Sydney Tele) also.

misscroft
23rd Jun 2005, 10:28
Best of luck to her then :ok:

Was she at the Melb 8th June VRD? If so has she heard back?

It has been 2 weeks and one day and i have had no word, i was at work today and my manager recieved a call from them to check references and all that, he can have a terrible sense of humour and is not the best communicator...so we will see:uhoh: , i just wish they would send me an email im getting desperate.

Thats kinda a pitty about Reggie, doesnt sound like she has had the best of luck since finishing BB, poor thing.
I guess the job just wasnt for her, its not everyones cup of tea and i imagine that she would get so many people asking her about Big Brother that with her trying to move on with her life she wouldnt be able to get away from the past.
Wish her the best of luck in the future with watever she choses to do.

SkySista
23rd Jun 2005, 13:13
thanks for the link, QF Regional.

It's a pity but as someone said, it probably got too annoying being recognised for what you once did, not what you are doing NOW.

Hopefully she'll find something she can be happy with, perhaps overseas...

Anyway, back on topic, do we have any besides Miss C who went for interviews???

18-Wheeler
23rd Jun 2005, 14:30
18-Wheeler

Best of luck to her then

Was she at the Melb 8th June VRD? If so has she heard back?

She's only thinking about applying at the moment, I wanted her to know all the various aspects before getting in too deep in case it's not for her.

flytheplanemay
2nd Jul 2005, 07:11
Hi Guys

I got the call yesterday. I'm in. Melbourne base. Training in August.

Hopefully some more of you got the call!

Congrats to anyone who was successful.

misscroft
2nd Jul 2005, 10:05
Hey Hon,

Congratulations :ok: When was your recruitment day? and when did you do your medical? I had my medicale on wed 29th in Syd and now just waitinhg to hear:\ I really really hope to be joining you in Ground School, sounds like its filling up fast, do you know how many in each intake?

Lara
xox

cabincrewwannabe
15th Sep 2005, 01:07
Hi Guys,

I am new to this site and new to applying for cc roles! Just a quick question for anyone that may know - do you get paid whilst you do training, and how long does training usually take?

Thanks, ccw

Welcome Aboard
15th Sep 2005, 05:28
The annual sarary as per EBA is:

CC trainee - $28 080 gross for duration of training approx 5 weeks
CC 1 - $42000 gross once online

When you start online then there is also overnight allowance (tax free) and overtime pay etc

All this information can be found in the DJ EBA

http://www.faaadomestic.org.au/domestic/virginblue.htm

Hope this helps, best of luck with becoming cc :-)

Welcome Aboard

michaelt_29
24th Jan 2006, 13:13
Hi everyone, I've registered my interest on the Virgin Blue website for cabin crew. I have everything filled out, first aid certificate dates, passport details, rsa dates, so im ready for an interview hehe...

Does anyone know when Virgin Blue are planning on their next recruitment?

Also, is anyone willing to blue star reffer me :) :)

Michael

milbud
25th Jan 2006, 05:36
Hi Michael, great to hear that you have applied! Unfortunately the recruitment issue is not so great at the moment at DJ. I was accepted into Cabin Crew Sep last year, and at this stage will not be starting until at least May this year. But do not panic, things change so very very quickly...
There is to be a new aircraft brought on line by mid year, this is ahead of schedule, with two more in the later half of the year, they all need crews so chin up and hang in there mate.

scottie380
10th Feb 2006, 22:34
Milbud send me a pm

michaelt_29
12th Feb 2006, 11:58
Scottie.. u heard anything?

Michael

wirgin blew
14th Feb 2006, 22:22
Have heard rumours that the interview day will be late this month/early March with a group to start training April 3rd 06.

Goodluck for all the prospective Virgins out there.

737opsguy
15th Feb 2006, 04:23
There are four new aircraft arriving at Virgin Blue this year and two of those are replacing aircraf that are leaving. Hence the growth of 2 aircraft for 2006.

Two new CC groups going through in April (as already mentioned by wirgin blew) and May so the opportunities exist.

scottie380
16th Feb 2006, 03:08
i got a call today to go for an interview later this month.. though i have been thru the interviews and been on the waitlist for 6months

blonde_oz_boy
19th Feb 2006, 11:52
a friend of mine says they heard that virgin might be scrapping the blue star referring. Does anyone know if thats true??

Hope not... there goes my leg up if they are...

milbud
20th Feb 2006, 07:46
Rest easy blonde oz boy, VB are still encouraging current team members to keep on blue starring those potential VB crew through!

blonde_oz_boy
20th Feb 2006, 10:30
music to my ears!!
It took endless subtle hints and puppy dog eyes :sad: to get blue starred. Would have been ever-so- :mad: to find out all that effort had gone to waste.

And now I wait...

scottie380
20th Feb 2006, 13:08
do u have an interview blonde oz?

blonde_oz_boy
20th Feb 2006, 19:23
nope... but I'm not in a holding pool or anything. The guy who blue starred me is a cabin supervisor and he said he was told there wont be much intake of new applicants for at least a few months... Congrats on your interview though! Go for it!

scottie380
20th Feb 2006, 22:41
but they have at least 3-4 schools planed over the next few months.. i know they are for interbals and waitlist people. but there couldnt be thatmany on the waitlist

blonde_oz_boy
21st Feb 2006, 01:37
aargh!! I dont believe how stupid I am!! The guy who blue starred me is also a trainer in BNE and I meant to ask him when the next ground schools are planned when he came into work today but I forgot!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

He's working for the next 6 days but when I see him next I'll ask him for sure and let everyone know.

Watch this space!!

blonde_oz_boy
23rd Feb 2006, 02:18
did anyone get invites to seminars at the beginning of march?? I didnt but I know people that did...

Cant figure out why I missed out though, being blue starred and all... Maybe because of my age...

scottie380
23rd Feb 2006, 02:38
how old are u mate?

SkySista
23rd Feb 2006, 07:10
Well crap. If they've emailed people already, not much chance then.... will keep hoping though...

I don't get it... when I couldn't possibly get to Melbourne, they call me. When I can get there at the drop of a hat, they don't.. Dammit!!! :E

blonde_oz_boy
23rd Feb 2006, 08:39
scottie I'm 18, but I was just thinking about it and is there anywhere on the site that actually asks you to specify your age? I think it just asks you if you are over 18. So maybe thats not it.

And skysista, apparently they're still inviting people and havent quite filled up the last seminar, so dont give up just yet, theres still a chance, however small....... Do you think theres a possibility that they might invite people based on how close they live to the place of the interview? Or would everyone be in with an equal chance?

I'm just gonna sit here, by the computer, checking my email every 30 minutes... just in case...

stevemelb
23rd Feb 2006, 19:11
Anyone been to an interview with Virgin recently? Any word on format used at interviews? Remember hearing some time ago it included singing/dancing and roleplays. Is this still the case?

Thanks,

stevemelb...

resboy
25th Feb 2006, 01:18
I live in melb, have been registered on the DJ website for well over a year and am blue starred, but yet am still waiting. This airline recruitment thing is always very fickle. We just have to patiently wait our turn. :)

resboy
28th Feb 2006, 03:50
Hi all,

Just wondering how this blue star thing works. As above, I applied quite some time ago and have been blue starred for many months. I know there hasn't been much recruitment of late, but am curious how the referral system works. Does the referee receieve an email immediately to complete? My referee has heard nothing :confused: :confused: :confused:

Some information would be appreciated. :)

blonde_oz_boy
28th Feb 2006, 15:37
resboy- the guy who blue starred me never heard anything from DJ either so I'm assuming all we have to do is just put their details into the thingo where it asks and the recruiters check it later...?

Btw- have you updated your application recently? Because I have a friend who applied for DJ about a 3 days before they started sending out invites for the melbourne interviews (yesterday, today and tomorrow) and scored one, and they live in melbourne too. A little wierd that you didnt get an invite considering how long you've been applying... I'm assuming you didnt get one....

aargh, I give up on trying to work out how DJ recruitment works

milbud
28th Feb 2006, 20:27
Hey guys / gals, the blue star process is an automated system....You as the applicant fill in the online process, when it asks if you are a blue star referral you answer yes and enter all the information about the VB employee who is acting as your referer.
The recruitment system picks this up and sends an internal e-mail to the VB employee you nominated and they have a form that they have to fill in and a declarartion to e-sign.

I might suggest that if your blue star buddies have not received the internal e-mail then you may have gotten some part of their information incorrect in your application. Make sure that each part of the info is letter perfect, including capitals where they should be. VB e-mail addresses do not use capitals, this is all i can suggest to you. The electronic system filters the applications for suitability, a standard practice these days, doesn't allow for personal bias. But I do know one of the girls up at volume recruitment had 1200 applications she was sorting through last week, and they are just the ones she had to do selected from the online app system.
Any one school for VB CC can have as many as 14000 applicants these days, and that has to get whittled down to the 60 odd that they group interview on the day and on from there. So when they say getting to the group stage is an achievement, it is.

Chin up guys, just keep plugging at it and keep the on line applications updated regularly, they can see when you have been in and updated, show a consistant level of interest!

Good luck

resboy
28th Feb 2006, 20:31
My blue star gal has never got the email for me. My application details have been, checked, double checked and tripple checked (I have had 18 months to get it right, hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe). :p

Oh well

scottie380
1st Mar 2006, 05:39
anyone know when medicals are being conducted?

scottie380
6th Mar 2006, 09:15
was there no one at the recent rrecruitment in here?

Sylphie
23rd Apr 2006, 14:29
Does anyone know when DJ is interviewing again? :sad:
My tummy is practically in my mouth waiting for some contact :O

DJTibby
24th Apr 2006, 03:26
Does anyone know when DJ is interviewing again? :sad:
My tummy is practically in my mouth waiting for some contact :O

Hi, Virgin won't be recruting any time soon as they have a few ground schools going through at the moment, so you can expect at least a few months. Why not try with Jetstar or MAM?

I know how you feel though, when i was waiting for DJ to recruit i was the same, they are just such an awsome airline!!! Goodluck :)

wirgin blew
24th Apr 2006, 03:28
Havent heard anything since the recent day that scottie380 went to. Last year the recruitment was continuous but I think it might be a bit slower this year. We are due to only get 2 new aircraft and atm there has been leave without pay offered for the months of Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May and June.
Goodluck with it all and if I hear any whispers I will post here.

Sylphie
24th Apr 2006, 13:08
Aw thanks guys! I can only hope. I don't really want to even try and apply for QF or Jetstar, I have a better feeling about DJs. Is this wise [not applying for others?] I suppose it isn't but oh well. Haha!

According to their site; CC positions are supposedly going to be available in 'the future' gosh knows how far back you can put that off though :ouch:

In the meantine I am just going to keep preparing.. mentally, physically and emotionally :p

I really want this so badly!

DJTibby
25th Apr 2006, 01:25
Sylphie, Trust me, I really don't want to sound like im lecturing or anything (i hate those kind of people hehe) but most certainly do not only apply for virgin. I was also the same as you, not wanting to work for any other airline and thinking they are the greatest and when it came down to my interview (obviously the first with any airline) I didn't make it through and I was just devestated. I couldn't understand it either, i thought i knew everything about virgin blue and to be quite truthful, a lot of the people who got through didn't even know what the uniform was, but thats the way it is so I don't want to see you make the same mistake! It also made me look at why I wanted to be a flight attendant and if its just because you want to wear the dj uniform and fly in the pretty red planes then perhaps this isn't the job for you *cringes, dont take it the wrong way!!* But if its because you are truely devoted to customer service, passanger safety, upholding company image and still come across happy at 4 am when your tired then virgin blue isn't the only airline out there!:)

Sylphie
26th Apr 2006, 02:40
It's OK I know you aren't lecturing me. I am aware that I shouldn't put all my eggs in the one little basket. My way of thinking was that I want to work for DJ because I don't feel that the other airlines are really me. I would much rather work as a FA for an airline I hold in high respect primarily, than one I didn't really have as much interest in.

Of course, I will consider applying for another, but as I am aware that Virgin Blue doesn't recruit as often; I would like to work around this, making this my priority and others my [well hopefully not] second chance.

I think to be successful, apart from having the correct attitude, poise and past history, a lot of your success is perhaps based on what you know about the company [and job title] I would like to get it right the first time.

scottie380
28th Apr 2006, 08:39
hi guys im in my last week of training with virgin.. next week we have our management talks.. so i will try and find out if and when the next recruitment will be:)

kellyssasfan2006
29th Apr 2006, 02:04
Hi scottie, I am the new comer here from China.I know Virgin recruited chinese CC last year. Could you ask them wheather they will re-recruit cabin crew in China later this year.
many thanks

smile
29th Apr 2006, 02:26
Hi kellyssasfan2006,
You may be thinking about Virgin Atlantic, this thread is on Virgin Blue- the Australian airline. I think that there is another thread going at the moment about Virgin Atlantic, the contributors on that thread may be able to help you.
Best of luck
SMILE