PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Calendar

BLUE SKY THINKER
1st Oct 2004, 22:58
I've been quite happily operating in 'Current View' > Day/Week/Month, making entries in the 'Day' boxes (directly, not via Appointments) that centralise on completion. .....Suddenly it keeps loading with a time on the left of each entry, followed by the entry (not centralised). .....How do I get rid of these times? .....They obviously relate to start times of Appointments, but I can't get rid of them even on an individual basis, let alone the obviously preferred all in one option for the whole calendar.

Irritating! .....Any suggestions?

Thanks.

stickyb
5th Oct 2004, 07:16
In Outlook 2003, in caledar view, monthly,
click into a day then right click, select customise current view, and take it from there.

BLUE SKY THINKER
5th Oct 2004, 09:21
stickyb.....

Been down all those obvious routes to no avail, hence frustration.

stickyb
5th Oct 2004, 10:18
OK, I see what you mean. You can change the field that is displayed by my method but you can't remove it altogether. The reason for this is explained in the settings panel, if you took it away there would be no sort order for the appointments.

However, if you create a whole day appointment, which I suspect is what you were doing, voila, no time is displayed.
Does that solve your problem?

sprocket
5th Oct 2004, 20:32
BST: The only time I can get those times to disappear is to open up the appointment (double click on it) and when the appointment window opens, tick the 'All day event' box next to the time boxes. This takes your appontment to the top of your day box with no times in front of it.

Or .... you could try putting your appointment into the Task Pad which is next to the caledar in that window.

BLUE SKY THINKER
6th Oct 2004, 10:08
Thanks all, but still going around in circles. .....Ticking 'All Day Event' has no effect and have tried every variety of setting I can, to no avail.

Will persevere.....

NB: Outlook v2002

stickyb
6th Oct 2004, 10:15
BST
Are you saying that if you create an all day appointment it shows with a time on the left?
If so , something very strange is happening.

BLUE SKY THINKER
6th Oct 2004, 16:44
stickyb.....

I am! (& I've just tried it for the umpteenth time to make sure I'm not going mad)

I agree: 'very strange'!

Not far off resorting to having Outlook OUT and resorting to a simple download calendar, this being the only feature I use in this program. Just can't be ***** to transfer all my data at the moment.

Thanks for time on this.

sprocket
6th Oct 2004, 20:12
Have you tried the Detect and Repair option, it should be under the Help buton on the taskbar.

BLUE SKY THINKER
6th Oct 2004, 21:19
sprocket.....

Have been thinking about that, but it seems to come with all sorts of warning provisos that make me nervous about my data.

stickyb
6th Oct 2004, 21:55
BST, Please could you try a small experiemnt for me.

In outlook, go to the calendar view, click on 31 to view the month.
Find an empty day and double left click in that empty day. That should bring up a blank appointment form
By default the start time will be 08:00 and the end time 08:30, on the day you chose. OK so far?
Just to the right of the start time should be a tick box labelled "All Day Event" If you tick this then the start time and end time fields should disappear from the form. Do they?
If you then type something into the subject field, make sure All Day Event is ticked, then click save and close you should go back to the calendar with just the subject displayed, no time to the left of the subject.
What happens on your system?
Again, find an empty day and right click into it.

Choose Customise Current View, which should open up a form.
The top entry should be Feilds, with start, end to the right.

If not, what does it say?

If it doesn't, go down and click on Reset Current View and see if that puts it right.

CHeers

sprocket
7th Oct 2004, 10:36
:) Think Ive cracked the code. Had a look back through my old appoinments.

If your appointment calendar is set at say half hour increments and your appoinment times fall exactly on the start and beginning of the increments, then the time (in brackets) will not show.

If however an appointment starts or finshes say 10 min before or after the half hour increments, then the times will display on the left of your entries. Try it.

stickyb
7th Oct 2004, 11:43
Sprocket, which version of outlook are you using? Mine does not behave like that.

start time shows if not all day, otherwise does not show

BLUE SKY THINKER
7th Oct 2004, 17:07
sprocket.....
stickyb.....

I started off with a sprinkling of suggestions from you both, ended up with the right result (i.e. success), but am not sure what happened in the middle!

I operate the calendar in very simple mode, imputting direct into the 'view 31 Month' squares; have never opened an appointment window 'til now (!)

Looked at 'Fields' in 'Customise Current View' and 'start' & 'end' were in the correct place, but decided to reimput them. Although this should have been no different than before, it had an 'exciting' effect on 31 Month in that all entries suddenly stretched over two days, with funny little clock faces at both ends.
Then took a look at Appointment times, re. half hour increments, to find them all over the place (and all into the next day!). After a lot of fiddling around, managed to get back to the staus quo.

Quite what has gone on I'm not sure. It may (probably) be me, but the simple fact is that I have quite happily been operating in this mode for a number of years and all of a sudden - across the whole calendar - the appointment days/times have decided to go haywire, along with those irritating 'reminder' jingles that have never been programmed or requested (didn't bore you with that bit).

Anyway, all seems well now for the first time for a while and I again thank you both for your time and enthusiasm on this one.

BST.