PDA

View Full Version : BSoD problem

GARDENER
1st Oct 2004, 15:46
Just had an email from my dad who is based in China. With China being shut down for the next week (therefore nobody in IT) and dad needing the laptop for business/communication your help is once again requested.
Problem:
The blue screen of death keeps popping up when he is on the "net". Laptop is IBM R50 running XP Professional. He has sent me an email of the screen that comes up but being behind the times I am uncertain of how to add it to the post (can email it to individuals should it be required)
Basically states IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Technical information:
Stop:0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x80529B62)
Beginning dump of physical memory
" " " " " Complete.

Any suggestions.
Please discuss! From Blue in Beijing

Memetic
1st Oct 2004, 20:09
I know nothing about it but these people seem to be overly familiar:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1038043392

Good luck!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
2nd Oct 2004, 22:24
GARDENER,

That is usually a hardware issue, and sometimes a driver issue.

Since the computer is a notebook and it only happens when your father goes online. I would like a little detail on how he logs on to the Internet. (My guess is third party drivers are the problem.)

Take Care,

Richard

GARDENER
3rd Oct 2004, 08:51
Richard I emailed my dad and his reply is below. Let me know if you require more detail. He has his old laptop so it is not a major problem.....yet!

My server provider is China Telecom. When I sign onto Hotmail there is no problem..However when I sign out and want to pull up something on the net, say a news item..then wham..The frequency is most when trying to get on the net. Also I have noticed on more that one occassion when I am in a program (going through files) and I switch the power on then up jumps the blue screen. Its as if the computer can't handle too many activities at same time..Not sure if this is helpful. Before we broke for the October holiday the company IT tech was trying to help me solve..I was able to show him the problem, as I was explaining trying to provoke the problem, was on the net trying to pull something up then turned on the power (to the battery) and wham.It appeared that this was not an unknown problem to him and he was to investigate. However as we are on holiday for a week won't know what if anything till next friday earliest. My server provider is China Telecom. When I sign onto Hotmail there is no problem..However when I sign out and want to pull up something on the net, say a news item..then wham..The frequency is most when trying to get on the net. Also I have noticed on more that one occassion when I am in a program (going through files) and I switch the power on then up jumps the blue screen. Its as if the computer can't handle too many activities at same time..Not sure if this is helpful. Before we broke for the October holiday the company IT tech was trying to help me solve..I was able to show him the problem, as I was explaining trying to provoke the problem, was on the net trying to pull something up then turned on the power (to the battery) and wham.It appeared that this was not an unknown problem to him and he was to investigate. However as we are on holiday for a week won't know what if anything till next friday earliest.

amanoffewwords
3rd Oct 2004, 11:20
The only time I have ever seen BSOD on XP it was due to the network components.

Remove the network card entry in the device list and let the system re-install it automatically on restart - this has cured problems in the past even when the network card wasn't directly in use.

Is it dial-up,, broadband/ADSL or ISDN by the way?

GARDENER
3rd Oct 2004, 13:36
Thanks,
I will get my dad to try that. I am almost 100% sure it is dial-up but will confirm.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd Oct 2004, 14:52
GARDENER,

Also I have noticed on more that one occassion when I am in a program (going through files) and I switch the power on then up jumps the blue screen.

What power is he switching on? Not sure I follow.

Take care,

Richard

P.S. I think it could even be that the computer is infected with so much Malware that it locks up and BSODs. I believe this was the computer you mentioned some time ago as having problems?

GARDENER
3rd Oct 2004, 18:31
Different computer...seems to run in the family! When he switches from battery to mains the problem seems to arise. Thanks for the replies.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd Oct 2004, 18:42
GARDENER,

I have not seen that problem before. I wonder if there is a hardware issue with the Power Supply and Battery. I and wondering if there is not a problem with the switching relays for power. (Not enough power will cause Windows to lock up, BSOD and even shut down on its own.)

Take care,

Richard

GARDENER
4th Oct 2004, 11:33
Richard, thanks it is unusual I have been doing plenty of reading on this and struggled to find a similar problem. Latest from dad!

Paul, Let me throw a curved ball in here..I was playing a CD on the computer..was not even connected to the server provider. The battery was running low so I turned the mains on..and whamo! Up came the Blue Screen. Which leads me to believe that the problem is software/hardware related and not the problem of the Internet service provider..(Most of the times I have had the problem has been when I have switched from Hot mail to get on the net).

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Oct 2004, 12:48
Paul,

That leads me more to a Power Issue. It looks like there is a problem with the hardware.

Your father could try doing a fresh install of his OS just to rule out software, but I am leaning to a hardware issue. (Specifically the power supply/switching hardware.)

Take care,

Richard

GARDENER
5th Oct 2004, 08:21
I have asked my dad to clarify whether or not the BSoD problem ocurrs on battery power alone. I know he is off-line for a couple of days anyway as he is away from base. Thanks again.

Ausatco
5th Oct 2004, 13:15
May I suggest that he also try starting up on mains power, starting a CD or internet activity and then disconnect mains power to see what happens when the computer falls back to battery.

ie, the reverse of what he's described so far.

AA

Craggenmore
7th Oct 2004, 11:15
I had this problem 4 weeks ago.

To solve it you will need to run a number of different anti-virus program scans because you need to eliminate a backdoor "Internet Relay Chat" program that a rouge internet site has planted on the machine.

I'm suggesting here, but I bet the internet connection will freeze, sometimes after 20 seconds, sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after one hour? And sometimes the BSOD will appear just like you have outlined.

Mcfee will not see it and will report your PC as clean. Try 'Stinger' (its a Mcfee free download - about 2 meg). If it does not see it then try another free virus scan. Got to www.majorgeeks.com and hunt through the many free virus checkers that are safe and tesgted by the site.

Then get protection suchas Zone Alarm, SpyBlaster or SpySweeper etc.............

Good Luck

Craggs

GARDENER
7th Oct 2004, 18:56
Craggs,
I have passed your message on and hope this works! His IT department are back on Monday anyway but it would be great if this resolves the problem. Thanks

Craggenmore
18th Oct 2004, 17:02
whats the scoop?

Craggs