PDA

View Full Version : STC Fraud Policy Statement

Anita Bush
1st Oct 2004, 15:06
Another glossy from the Ivory Tower.

This one includes a flow diagram showing the reporting procedure if you are worried or concerned about Fraud in STC.

It also has a nice picture of C in C Strike (Bwian) - also it states;

As well as avoiding actual corrupt practices it is important that public servants avoid giving the impression they may be acting corruptly. You should not accept gifts, hospitality or benefits of any kind from a third party which might be seen to compromise your personal judgement or integrity.

Discuss

Anita

Jackonicko
1st Oct 2004, 16:12
Does avoiding that which "might be seen to compromise your personal judgement or integrity" include playing hide the helmet with female airline pilots behind your wife's back? Or doing so within spitting distance of an RAF Station's main gate? Or using service transport to do so?

Or are we only talking about our financial integrity?

MrBernoulli
2nd Oct 2004, 08:42
Bloody rich!

How much integrity do their senior Airships have when they 'deal' with contractors during their twilight days in the RAF and then waltz straight into directorships with the same companies on leaving the RAF. The very same companies that the MOD pays for sh1te, overpriced, behind-schedule kit.

Wankers! The bloody cheek of it!

BEagle
2nd Oct 2004, 08:58
"Don't do as I do, do as I say"

I guess that means that all those corporate junketing sessions will no longer take place at RIAT, Farnborough etc?

Should I give BWoS back the VC10 tanker tie I was given 20 years ago? Nope - I've just remembered, it was passed on by a mate who didn't want it!

MrB has the situation accurately summed up. But note that it only says "You should not accept gifts, hospitality or benefits of any kind from a third party which might be seen to compromise your personal judgement or integrity". 'Should' - as anyone involved with contracts or the JAA will immediately recognise, construes only a recommendation. If they intended to forbid people from accepting gifts, hospitality or benefits in kind, they would have used the words "shall not" or "are not to". But they didn't, so their statement cannot reasonably be seen as a mandatory requirement.

So that's OK then! "I hear what you say - and note your recommendation. Now f*ck off!!"

It's SO nice to be out even though the pension is hardly generous!

jindabyne
2nd Oct 2004, 11:30
Aah. So you didn't get an invite BEagle?

Impiger
2nd Oct 2004, 11:49
Some balance required here chaps.

First the fraud policy statement is not a STC thing - it is cross government policy for all those involved in handling any aspect of public money. Land will have one as will Fleet, PTC and all the other TLBs. The rules regulations and content are all prescribed from on high (HMT) so don't knock STC for fulfilling their commitments to corporate governance!

On gifts, hospitality and the like - there has been some selcective quoting. Once again the centrally imposed rules set out guidelines for accepting hospitality, official gifts (both receiving and giving) and contacts with contractors. Generally speaking declaring all such activity in the 'Hospitality Book' keeps you in the clear so long as the hospitality offered has not been overly lavish. Dinner in a London hotel is fine - tickets for you and the mem sahib to fly to Dubai and stay in a top class hotel not fine. On gifts the guideline value is £50 under that declare and keep (if you want to) over that you have to offer to the central clearing house. You can pay the difference in value over £50 and keep the goodies. You even get the valuation yourself and deduct the cost of doing so from the overall sum.

All in all this is designed to keep individuals out of the tabloids and as a system works tolerably well. Of course you can't legislate for the arrogant a**e who kicks the backside out of the system as the Hamiltons discovered.

Now how about some military aircrew rumours - isn't that what this site is for?

BEagle
2nd Oct 2004, 12:31
Not exclusively, Impers, old bean...

And no, jindi', I have better things to do than to go schmoozing around RIAT or SBAC. If I go to one of those things, it'll be to do some work, not to press flesh.

Had a great time at EFW Dresden this week though - work and play combined!

Always_broken_in_wilts
2nd Oct 2004, 20:10
I suspect that Beag's has far too much integrity to allow himself to accept an invitation from the "RIAT Gypsies":mad:......raise money for charity with one hand then give it away in career moves with the other................

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

jindabyne
2nd Oct 2004, 21:14
ABIW

Nonesense - nothing to do with integrity, or accepting freebies. If you p+ss the host off, you simply don't get an invite. And if if it's business you're after, then go along, swallow some of your principles, and there are people there who'll talk turkey. A free lunch, BAE/Rolls or whoever contribute to the RAFBF, and you get to chat and do a bit of networking. Please don't cry foul over something that you perceive, in 'ignorance', to be a junket.

buoy15
3rd Oct 2004, 00:51
I enjoy a game of golf, which invovles large amounts of integrity. honesty and trust, which is why I try not play with politicians and officers of air rank.
A few years ago, I was invited to a game by my Catering Officer, whose visiting AOC, playing off 22, was given "gimmes" from 15 feet.
And he accepted them!:*

Argus
3rd Oct 2004, 05:19
Didn't Jim Hacker get into a spot of bother when he accepted a spurious gift in Khumran?

And then there were all those RN catering officers back in the late 60s, who short changed their comrades, in exchange for back handers from a Portsmouth vitualling contractor. I well recall on one of Betty's flat tops (one of the real ones) being endlessly treated to the Great Malaysian Racing Chicken - eight legs and no breast - when alongside in Singapore.