PDA

View Full Version : AeroSur (Bolivia) DC-3s

latinaviation
1st Oct 2004, 13:29
Last week's Economist featured a story on Bolivia's young-but-growing adventure tourism and noted their desire to become more than an after-thought to the Peruvian tourism market. As part of this, AeroSur has acquired a pair of DC-3s for flights from La Paz to Bolivia's expansive salt flats in Uyuni.

Here's a snapshot of the article:
Those who do make it to Bolivia tend to be backpackers. To attract older, wealthier tourists, Aerosur, a local airline, has refurbished two Douglas DC-3 Dakota aircraft that first saw service in the 1950s. With hostesses dressed in fashion of the same era, the planes started regular flights last month from La Paz to Uyuni. They have large windows, and fly slow and low—ideal for camera-touting tourists.
http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=3222609

Panama Jack
1st Oct 2004, 17:35
Very cool.

Back in the late '90's Continental Airlines did a trip through Central America with their beautifully restored DC-3, making stops at the various ports-of-call and doing a big PR bash. In Managua, this meant speeches, airplane rides, hors d'oerves, Ron Flor de Cana flowing freely, and even a little plastic DC-3 model in Continental colors. The flight attendants were dressed in circa-1940's uniforms, and they had a band playing nice latin music from that era. All very classy, and I was fortunate to have been able to attend. :) When they found out I was a pilot, I even was invited to sit on the jumpseat for the approach and landing in MNMG. :O

My only flight in DC-3 was a memorable one. :\