PDA

View Full Version : Convert Aus CPL(H) to JAA

anvilman
1st Oct 2004, 05:01
Hello

First post, so be gentle with me ...

I am working towards an Aussie heli CPL (which you can get at 105 hours, and the 7 commercial theory exams).

I was wondering what the story is with converting to a JAA, to fly in the UK (as that is where I'm from originally, and may return in a year or two).

Anyone got any experiences or pointers to the right info?

What are the flight time and ground school requirements? I've heard it could be a nightmare of hoops to jump through.

I also have a CAA PPL(A) with 100 hours TT, although haven't flown fixed wing for a few years so not current. Does the fixed wing time help at all in the conversion?

Any thoughts, gratefully received.

Anvilman

Geoff Williams
1st Oct 2004, 05:25
Bad news for you I'm afraid. Your ATPL counts for nothing towards a JAR ATP. We have a number of guys here at work studying JAR now, including an Aussie, and they have to do all subjects for the theroy again. (13 in all I think). There is also limits as to how long you take to get all the credits.

Up until recently I believe there was an avenue to convert using some of the European and the New Zealand licence, but that door has closed.

But all is not lost. I understand that there will be a recognition of ICAO licences soon.

Time will tell. The unfair part of all this is that a JAR coming to Oz sits one 'conversion' exam and is issued an Aussie ATPL. Well what I mean is that that is fair, going the otherway isn't.

Good luck with your studies, keep at it.

Col
1st Oct 2004, 07:46
Anvilman

This should help...

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS.PDF

Your hours will count for something...

Col

automan
1st Oct 2004, 08:14
Hi Anvilman,

Its all bad news im afraid, yes you can use your hours towards your jaa atpl , but as it says in previous replies , it is going to take you a good 9-12 months to do the jaa approved ground school.

Ive just got hold of some ground school folders from a well known groundschool provider in the uk and its for more involved.

you will also need 155 hours for a jaa cpl h .

so good luck !

hughey
1st Oct 2004, 14:24
Australian license is 105hrs but rarely acheived with 105hrs. If you return to the UK with 155hrs and an Australian CPL(H) you will need to do a 30hr modular block and skills test. If you return with 185hrs with 50hrs PIC you can do a skills test. Both routes require ATPL(H) theory exams 14 in total. Usually a few hours are also required to get aquainted with the area and radio procedures.

If you have 155hrs on return to the UK and an Australian CPL(H) with required dual i.e xcountry, nav, night etc you can easily obtain a UK PPL(H) just a law exam and skills test. Then build your hours at your leisure, keep yourself flying and build towards your exams.

Just my tuppence worth!

wobs
1st Oct 2004, 19:16
You don't have to do the full ATPL thing. It's possible to convert to a JAA CPL. This still means some axams, 9 in all.

The min hours before being able to do the modular add-on is in the lasors quoted above. 150 I think!

if you already have more experience then you may only need to do the night & instrument training (15 hours in total) plus whatever else a FTO decides you need to pass the skills test.

I'm in the process of doing this conversion myself so PM me if you want any more specific help.

T

Geoff,

What do you know or where can i get more info regarding the recognition of ICAO licences? could save me a few quid in the spring!!

T

anvilman
5th Oct 2004, 03:51
Many thanks to you all for your help. Very useful and much appreciated.

Anvilman

Geoff Williams
5th Oct 2004, 05:42
WOBS

Talking to the guys here it would appear that the French licence
is still not JAR. Come 2005, if you have a French ATP you can convert it to JAR if you meet the equivilent aeronautical qualifications.

Now, what's required for a French ATP converted from another ICAO, I also would love to learn.

Anyone know?

automan
5th Oct 2004, 08:07
Hi Geoff,

I would be interested also

:confused:

helipat
5th Oct 2004, 08:07
Yes, in France, the helicopter ratings are not yet JAR compliant for a few more months.

I do not know about converting from an ICAO ATP to a French one, but I do know about the CPL or IR.

If you have an ICAO CPL, you will need to pass the written exam (JAR like), to follow a 15 hours (10h + 5h Instrument) conversion module in an approved flight school, and pass the flight test.

The +:
- you do not need to follow ground school to take the written test
- when we'll move to JAR FCL 2 (probably next year), your licence will become JAR compliant.

The -:
- the French written test is difficult. Not because of the level of the test, but because of some silly questions where you have to understand what the civil aviation wants you to answer instead of what would be the theorical correct answer.
- I'm not sure that you can have all parts of the written or practical exams in English.

For the IR conversion, bad news, you will have to do almost all the practical training in addition to the written test and practical test. If you have a JAR IR(A), then you can follow a short training, but if you've already an ICAO IR(H) you don't know how to fly an helicopter in IMC !!!
You will also have to pass an English exam, again completly stupid as it is focused on airline and not helicopter. Beware, lot of english native speakers failed it...

Patrick