PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy phone call........

BRL
30th Sep 2004, 19:13
Hi all. I have just had a phone call where upon answering, an automated voice said I was a winner blah blah blah. I don't know what I won, I hung up almost straight away. Anyone know anymore about this kind of thing and also, will I be looking at a bill now for thousands of pounds because I answered it..? :D

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Sep 2004, 19:31
Who knows what sort of scam it was? - normally, like you, one doesn't listen to such things and never finds out.

But you won't have to pay for answering it.

(Unless of course you answered it on your mobile and you were roaming at the time.)

I have found the incidence of such things has dropped off dramatically since I signed up to the TPS (http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/).

Memetic
1st Oct 2004, 00:35
You can have the originator tracked down via the 09xxx number they gave in the call if you got it (Or the low rate number 08xxx they get you to call to give the 09xxx number to you!!!.)

There are many rules about promoting premium rate numbers, these calls often break them or the new electronic privacy directives.

The trade body that regulates premium rate phone numbers and their promotion is "ICSTIS" http://www.icstis.org.uk/

They have some handy onlne complaint forms on the site, which from what I have seen do actually result in investigation and line closure.

I have to say though, the latest breed of these calls where the recording is spoken by an actor are much higher quality, but i'll still not be calling to win £200 worth of vouchers with strings attached.:yuk:

under_exposed
1st Oct 2004, 08:00
I have had a couple of these recently, a quick 1471 showed it as originating from the USA.

PPRuNe Pop
1st Oct 2004, 15:33
All good advice Paul. 0900 numbers will cost you a minumum of a £1 a minute. But only if you connect. Sometimes they even have your name as a winner and when you claim your prize (at £1 per minute) - and 7 minutes later, after stating who has won the fab prizes, they tell you have won a two week holiday - but you have to pay the air fares! This scam has been running for quite a while - and you are out of pocket £7. They do it ALL day every day! Rich pickings eh?

The worst bit is that this one is LEGAL. But you can still complain.

BRL
1st Oct 2004, 15:55
Thanks chaps. Because I had not had one of these calls before or even heard of it, I just put the phone down quick as soon as I heard it. I was more worried about it costing me lots as it was automated and didn't want to have a pricey bill just for answering a call. Now I know otherwise thanks to the advice above, cheers.

I tried 1471 and that said the caller witheld their number.

The links above look pretty good, thanks all. :)

Paul Wilson
3rd Oct 2004, 12:15
Sign up with the Telephone Preference Service, (details in the front of the phone book) and you won't get any more that originate in the UK. Takes about a month to be effective, but very easy to register (5mins automated srvice)