PDA

View Full Version : Advanced 747 on way from Boeing

Wirraway
30th Sep 2004, 15:57
Fri "The Australian"

Advanced 747 on way from Boeing
Geoffrey Thomas
October 01, 2004

BOEING plans a radical interior makeover of its 747 that will include sky-suites in the overhead ceiling space, much larger windows and a sweeping staircase to the upper deck.

Adding punch to the aircraft's performance, Boeing will fit the radical 7E7 engines and stretch the aircraft by 3.6m to increase passenger capacity to 450 from the current typical international configuration of 416.

The new version, known as the 747 Advanced, will have increased range, enabling it to fly from Sydney to Chicago or from Dallas-Fort Worth to Sydney.

The 747ADV is in many ways a meld of three different aircraft. It takes some of the new technology from the 7E7 and combines this with many of the proved systems from the 777 to update the classic 747 design, considered by many to be one of the best aircraft ever built.

Boeing's pitch to airlines is that the A380 is too big for many routes such as Brisbane-Los Angeles and for off-peak times to destinations such as Hong Kong.

The new 747 model with 450 seats would fit neatly between the A380 with 550 seats and the 777-300ER and the A340-600 with about 350 seats.

Asia-Pacific airlines are the major target for the new variant, with Cathay Pacific and possibly Qantas as launch customers.

Cathay Pacific, like Japan Airlines and British Airways, has so far resisted the move to the A380 even though it operates two 747-400s a night to London from Hong Kong.

Cathay, rather than buy A380s, recently signed up for eight used 747-400s from Singapore Airlines and South African Airways.

Qantas has also been searching for used 747-400s but was unable to acquire aircraft at a price to support the business plan. In fact, the market for 747s has become very tight -- Boeing Trading only has one used 747 available.

Qantas is now looking at other options and is being courted by Boeing with new aircraft offerings.

From the passenger perspective, the 747ADV will seem like a new aircraft with a 777-styled interior, up to 40 sky-suites and a business centre in the crown of the ceiling.

The sky-suites may be used by premium economy class passengers, as most airlines already offer lie-flat beds for business and first class passengers.

Access to the upper deck has been moved to the far side of the cabin as you enter and is up a sweeping staircase with windows in the ceiling giving a spacious skylight effect.

Boeing may also include 7E7-style windows -- which are almost twice the size of 747 windows -- to the 747ADV, to give an even greater sense of spaciousness.

The latest generation 7E7 engines will make the 747ADV the quietest aircraft in its class. It will meet all new and proposed airport noise restrictions -- a major benefit when operating into noise-sensitive airports such as Sydney.

Boeing is also tweaking the aerodynamics of the wing to make the 747ADV slightly faster than the 747, already the world's fastest large-capacity commercial aircraft.

It is expected that the 747ADV will be committed to production early next year with the first flight scheduled for 2009 and entry into service a year later.

==========================================

30th Sep 2004, 21:29
Excellent, If it's not BOEING I'm not GOING!

:ok: to the idea.

:D :D :D

DirectAnywhere
30th Sep 2004, 23:03
What, again?? I'll believe it when I see it. Sales of the 747 have slumped the last few years as operators have selected smaller aircraft that allow them to operate the more frequent services their customers want.

Unless they can come up with a radically different aircraft who's going to spend $300 mill to replace the aircraft they've already got that do the job just as well??

Going Boeing
1st Oct 2004, 00:28
It's a great idea and it fits in with the market forcasts over the next 20 years - there is a need for an aircraft in the 450 seat range. The biggest problem is convincing the bean-counters that the aircraft is not "old technology". They may have to use "glare" or similar technology in the fuselage skin panels and composites throughout to convince airlines that this aircraft will be viable for a minimum of 25 years.

Buster Hyman
1st Oct 2004, 03:08
Now if only they can get it up to 100 kilometre's......:rolleyes:

crocodile redundee
1st Oct 2004, 08:55
I hear that the F/E panel +F/E/O has been reinstated for this variant????

sport
1st Oct 2004, 09:52
Keep dreaming you old croc. that will never happen again, anyway their talking about not even having engineers on the outside.

DirectAnywhere
1st Oct 2004, 14:09
Sorry GB, I must respectfully disagree. I reckon it's a great aeroplane...probably the best airframe ever built; but even I can read between the lines on:

Boeing Commercial Orders (http://active.boeing.com/commercial/orders/index.cfm)

and see the days of this aeroplane are numbered...not for a number of years but the countdown has started. Note that most of those aircraft ordered are cargo variants for various cargo operators and not pax carrying aeroplanes as this article implies a market still exists for.

Does anyone else remember the 747-500/600(X) variants that were supposed to be flying by now but aren't...??? The A380 will carry more pax for lower direct costs; and 777/A340-600 will carry slightly fewer pax longer distances for far less, not to mention the 7E7/A330/A340-500. Do the maths on the number of aircraft ordered.

Note only the 717(basically a DC9) and 767 (similar age airframe to a 747) have fewer hulls ordered.

I hate to say it, but unless Boeing can come up with something really amazing, this aircraft is going the way of the dinosaur.

Eastwest Loco
2nd Oct 2004, 12:19
Good point direct - but the A380 needs to see Jenny Craig to cure a 14 tonne ZFW poblem it currently has to fulfil design promises and operational parameters before it is a serious contender.

Personally, I must admit I prefer Seattle born thoroughbreds under me as SLF.

Best

EWL

HotDog
2nd Oct 2004, 13:44
EWL, just think on the commission you can collect filling the A380; if you are good enough?:ok:

Eastwest Loco
2nd Oct 2004, 13:57
Hotdog

It will most likely be fee for service, and I do still prefer Boeing product but do enjoy Airbus aircraft. I guess it is just that I grew up with Boeing and then Douglas equipment. My favourite aeroplane is the much maligned DC10. Solid, powerful and reliable.

Bad press will bugger anything.

One day I will fill a heavy. That is a definite goal I have had for a long while.

Best regards

EWL

404 Titan
2nd Oct 2004, 15:34
Eastwest Loco

DC10. :yuk: Cheap nasty rubbish compared to the L1011 Tristar.:ok:

Ultralights
2nd Oct 2004, 23:17
even as pax, i still loved the atlantic crossings in the good ole DC10.

Eastwest Loco
3rd Oct 2004, 05:29
404 Titan - DC10 - Solid reliable and resilliant - L1011 - stuff legends are made of.

Best

EWL