PDA

View Full Version : Dispatch employment - some questions

Funkie
30th Sep 2004, 12:06
Hi all,

I’m looking for some generally details of terms and conditions for Dispatch jobs, probably with Servisair. I’ve done a search and most of the info is fairly old.

My intension is to work directly within aviation (as opposed to consultancy as I've done in the past) whilst studying for my ATPL’s. This, I hope, would give me understanding of the ground operations involved with aviation and the opportunity to learn.

I would be very grateful if some could answer the following;

1. What is the typical shift pattern?
2. What is a typical hourly rate?
3. Are new start’s normally only employed on a part-time contract?
4. How many day’s off per annum?
5. Is there a typical hiring time?

Also, if there are others out there and I’m sure there, that have chosen the route I intend to, I would be interested to hear how you structured your studying. Is the shift pattern an advantage of over a 9-5?

Once again, thanks for your help.

F.:ok:

kilobravo
30th Sep 2004, 13:23
Hi Funkie

I have no info for you as I too was planning on doing the very same thing whilst studying for my ATPL's. I was, if you look at my recent posts, looking for courses and felt that being full time in the flying environment and the knowledge gained from working at an airport would greatly help my flying training. Besides I would really really enjoy working at an airport and if flying didn't work out for one reason or another then I would still have a chance at a career in aviation, albeit on the ground, and just flying with my PPL. I imagine that future employers do not want to know your flight deck aspirations!!!!!

Good luck with both

jonathang
1st Oct 2004, 12:59
Hi Funkie

1. What is the typical shift pattern?

With Servisair and likely with many other handling agents. The shifts will be around the clock 24/7.

Typical Servisair shifts:

4 x 2200-0600
4 x 0300-1200
4 x 0500-1400

Basically the shifts will be subject to carrier's handling requirements and that depends on the station.

2. What is a typical hourly rate?

Typical Dispatch hourly rate anything from £4.80 - £6.00, more if load control trained.

3. Are new start’s normally only employed on a part-time contract?

Yes, but once again subject to station requirements.

4. How many day’s off per annum?

Willing to be corrected but sure Servisair was 4 weeks.

5. Is there a typical hiring time?

Subject to station requirements again. However large recruitment is carried out in Feb/Mar for the Charter season.

Hope this helps.

speedbird_heavy
1st Oct 2004, 13:33

4 x 2200-0600
4 x 0300-1200
4 x 0500-1400

Which station did/do you work at???

When I worked for servisair at Cardiff, the shift pattern was all over the shop. For example, these are my shifts from my last week as a dispatcher with servisair:-

Mon: off
Tue: off
Wed: 0200-1000
Thu: 0500-1330
Fri: 1100-1500
Sat: 1200-2100
Sun: 1030-1930

Pretty crap so dont plan a social life. You will also be contracted for 25 hours per week. So in the winter expect pointless 4 hour shifts (if you are kept on).

jonathang
1st Oct 2004, 21:43
Speedbird,

Read again I said:

With Servisair and likely with many other handling agents. The shifts will be around the clock 24/7.

They are correct examples of Typical Servisair shifts, but you will be expected to work around the clock.

I worked for Servisair Glasgow.

Funkie
2nd Oct 2004, 15:16
Johnathang & Speedbird_heavy,

Thanks for the reply’s – very informative.

It would appear that will have to review a few things…. The money seems worst than I first thought. The hours were pretty much as expected.

I appreciate it is a rather personal question, but can either of you give me a typical take home pay, per month? (PM me if you wish) I am prepared to give up the 9-5, but there’s no point in doing it if I would have to get another job just to eat!!

What is the extent of training and does a PPL help?

Once again, thanks for your help.

boeingbus2002
2nd Oct 2004, 18:12
For GlobeGround Heathrow:
£17.5k starting..increases every 6 months. (Incl Shift allowance!)
Shifts are 6 Days on 3 Days off. Not too sure about actual
timings.
New starters put on one month classroom course and then one month shadowing.

No other details as yet.

BACX at Bristol is about £13.5k Starting, but Get shift pay on top and uniform allowance. So its just over £14k.

Little Blue
2nd Oct 2004, 21:41
I f you want full time permanent employment, then I suggest u ignore servisair.
Try Globeground, or, bmi at LHR.... check in for a while then Loadcontrol/Dispatch once u show willing !
;)

speedbird_heavy
2nd Oct 2004, 23:26
Umm...Globeground are now owned by Servisair....!

www.servisair.com

Maude Charlee
4th Oct 2004, 17:32
Like asking how long is a piece of string.

Every station is different, with the stability (and logic) of rosters being at the mercy of the competence of your managers. This, as I'm sure you can appreciate, varies widely.

Contracts may be permanent (mine was from day 1), or temporary, but all are most likely to be part-time as this allows the greatest flexibility from the team. Probably somewhere in the 20-30 hour range depending on the station.

Money is rotten, a mere £4.87 (ish) as a basic hourly rate. As a temp, you will receive no extra pay on top of this (guess why they emply so many temps!), but if permanent there is additional shift pay of 64p (ish) per hour, and other payments for Sat/Sun/night shifts. Quite easy to take home £750 a month as a part-timer without too many of the rotten shifts.

Shift pattern can be all over the shop as it is a 24 hour operation, and some of the mixtures can be absolutely awful if you have a clueless management team. Much as I despise them, I would recommend joining the local union (GMB probably) as it gives some leverage in obtaining something approaching practicality.

Depending on the local work patterns, expect 2 days off per week from any 7 (or combinations of 6 on 3 off, 4 x12hr shifts on, 4 off), with days off coming back to back if poss. However, again it depends on the management.

However, all said and done, an enjoyable way to pass the day, and a useful and occassionally interesting insight into the airline business. You get to spend a great deal of your time with the crews, which is good for networking and building up a more complete picture of the business. Most of them are a thoroughly decent bunch.

Flying ambitions and qualifications will be neither help nor hinderence I suspect, as most stations are usually short of staff due to the poor terms on offer and are likely to hire anyone with the inclination to do the job. Training is straightforward and undemanding, though the quality is highly variable despite the existence of a formal company-wide training scheme.

Whether the highly irregular and potentially unpredictable working hours will fit around a course of study (unless it is distance learning) is something only you can determine.

Funkie
5th Oct 2004, 11:44
Boeingbus2002 and Maude Charlee,

Many thanks for the information – very helpful indeed.

MC – I agree entirely with your comments and no doubt management will vary from station-to-station.

The course will be distance learning, probably with Bristol and I should be able to slot in 15 – 20 hours study per week.

I also note your comments on the GMB. I have never been a fan of unions, however it is an aspect which I had not considered and I thank you for mentioning it.

If I can achieve £750 - £800 per month as take home pay, I’ll be delighted – as you say, it is a great way to network and discuss various points of the industry. And I’m sure it beats looking at two cream walls in the corner of an office for 7 hours a day!!

Cheers.:ok: