PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Ground Training

craig1975
30th Sep 2004, 08:55
Has anyone used pilot ground training, I am thinking of using them for my distance learning and was looking for any comment people may have on them

Cheers

Craig

daw
30th Sep 2004, 10:45
You will see from their website that they have only just setup so therefore there will be no track record to date. Word on the street is that it is headed by a number of ex Oxford instructors that decided to go it alone. Try searching this forum as there were a few posts a month or so ago but not a lot else known for the reason above.

G-DANM
30th Sep 2004, 11:25
I am not quite ready for ATPL Ground School, however, going to their open day I was really impressed. One of the biggest bonuses is that because Kemble is home to an airline storage company there are always airliners that you can go in and actually see the theory in real life. On the open day we got to go around one of the DC-10's currently housed there (cockpit, avionics bay and even walk on the wings!) and I can really appreciate how the ability to see the theory in practice will help me when I do start studying. Also the introduction to CRM is something that will help when it comes to my first airline interviews.

P.S
I will be studying on their full time course when I have finished Uni.

Send Clowns
30th Sep 2004, 12:03
All schools I know of are at airfields. All airfields have aeroplanes. As far as I can guess all could get you to look round them. On my course I certainly looked at the engines (covers off), and inside, various aircraft from piston singles through business jets to a 737. That is not particular to Kemble.

[edited to clarify]

daw
30th Sep 2004, 12:45
Talk about popping someones bubble. Bit more fun and enjoyment is needed in aviation me thinks.

Send Clowns
30th Sep 2004, 13:17
Sorry :O Open days are good, but an individual visit and a comparrison of various schools, with a chance to talk to students away from staff is the best way to choose. Try a few of different types (certainly consider one that does residential as well in case you decide to change) and sizes.

PGT
30th Sep 2004, 21:01
Dear G-DANM and all

Thanks for your comments about the open day, glad you enjoyed it. For those of you who may think we are only distance learning, our main aim is to have full time residential customers, 15 on each course.

Oh and Send Clowns, we actually bought the DC-10
(Only joking we didn't really):D and stop guessing, it will get you into trouble. ;)

As has always been said, prospective pilots should always do their research and visit the places they fancy.

Word on the street is that it is headed by a number of ex Oxford instructors

Yes it's no secret. We aren't all from Oxford though, our head of training Gordon Lee is from BA, ex-training captain, he starts with us when he returns from abroad.

Regards to all, and don't lose your sense of humour.

Pete Begley

Pilot Ground Training (http://www.pilotgroundtraining.com)