PDA

View Full Version : Newb Question

scottmcl
29th Sep 2004, 21:07
Hi, I am 16 years old and located in Surrey, British Columbia. Currently I am considering piloting as a carear. I was wonding If anyone could recomend some good reading materials.

I have only been up once in a FAM flight, damn best $50.00 ever spent.

lead zeppelin
29th Sep 2004, 22:45
Go to "Aviation World", an aviation store near CYVR. They have lots of books, and other interesting aviation stuff. The addres is on their website.

http://www.aviationworld.net/

NoseGear
30th Sep 2004, 00:29
Scott, may I reccomend the Air Cadets to you. A great way to have a look at the flying community, from the Armed Forces to the civil aeroclubs. Plus you generally get to do lots of Fam flying, including gliding etc. There is also the possiblity of getting your gliders licence and Private Pilots licence on scholarship. Go and have a look at least, they do lots of great activities for young people.

Good luck and let us all know how you get on

Nosey

rotornut
30th Sep 2004, 12:36
Hi Scott,

Let me recommend "Flying the Big Jets" by Stanley Stewart. Although it focuses on a 747-400 flight from Heathrow to New York, it goes into a lot of theory about flying and related subjects. It's not too technical and, in my opinion, is an excellent introduction to civil aviation. Very well written.

Good luck

Slapshot
4th Oct 2004, 14:40
A better book for you to read would be "Flying a Floatplane" by Marin Faure. I'd be guessing your first job will probablly entail float planes as opposed to "Big Jets".

There's lot's of time to think and dream about the "Big Jets", focus on what is going to help you get that Jet Job. Who know's you may start flying floats and never want to give it up. Lot's of people have!

Good luck!

fougapilot
6th Oct 2004, 19:36
"From the gorund up" Just gave it to my 14yo nephew for his B-day. It is not specific to big birds, but is a good book on basics.

But I agree with Nosegear. Go for Cadets. This is what got me started over 20years ago, and now after flying for the military I haul big iron in the sky.

Best of luck.

Dan

bound_for_dubai
7th Oct 2004, 00:46
There are many routes to take when trying to land the ultimate job. Its all based on finance and preferences. Military is an excellent route to take but not many can get there

BFD

grind king
12th Oct 2004, 00:18
I bought the book BECOMING AN AIRLINE PILOT. It is kind of based for the American pilot however lots of good info none-the-less. Before this book I couldn't even spell pilot now i are one. Most of all don't give up. It took me three years to find my first flying job. Now I am employed with AC Jazz, have a job offer from All Nippon Airways in Japan, Qantaslink in Australia, and am going for a second interview with Cathay Pacific. It was deffinately worth the wait and struggle. Above all else DONT PISS ANYONE OFF. It's a small industry and word will get around.
Good Luck!!!

geldoff
21st Oct 2004, 18:22
As mentioned earlier, FTGU is the best for starting out, I still read it, always something that I discover in there.

I also got a lot from 'air command weather manual', think it was a military book and focuses on Canadian weather. Gor me through a test or too.

If you want some good stories, 'Bush Pilot with a Breifcase' can't be beat, and I realy liked 'True North' too. However both will make your cravings stronger.

Don't forget, work that Fam flight thing to death, just go to a different school and say 'always wanted to fly, do you have a trial flight or something?' works every time.

I trained in Langley with LFS, but both schools are good. I liked Langley because Boundry bay was so far from a decent training area and took you through 'suicide alley' every time you went out.

GL

TOGA Descent
3rd Nov 2004, 09:03
Scottmcl,
I was your age when I decided that I wanted to fly. Today, over 13000 hours later, I have no regrets.

Some of the advice you've received, is in fact good advice. A copy of "From the Ground Up" was a book I pretty much slept with from the minute I decided that flying was for me. Learn it - cover to cover. Don't worry about "Flying the big jets, etc". Personally, I've never even looked at it. (I've been an Airbus Captain for several years). When the time comes for you to need that type of information, you’ll learn it from an appropriate source. Learn the basics first, and learn them well.

However, I disagree with the idea of continuous "Fam" flights. Pick a flight school, sign up and start Logging your flight time. Otherwise, the time and money is pretty much wasted. Some may say, “…if you don’t fly several time a week, you’ll be wasting your money…” This is nonsense. When I started I was only able to afford about 2 hours of instruction each month. It took a while to get things going, but in the end I completed my private licence in the MINIMUM allowable time. Fortunately, the commercial came a little quicker.

Now, so far as instructors are concerned. A new instructor, with a fresh licence himself is the “Norm”. However, there is an old fellow in Pitt Meadows who’s has been instructing since the dawn of dirt. His name is Bob Gilmore. If you are going to be taking some time to complete your training, and want to get some quality instruction, this IS the guy to call. I've had some lessons with him recently (Aerobatics) and I STILL learn things from him that could be considered somewhat basic. He truly is THAT good.

Best of luck to you. Maybe one day, I’ll meet you on “the line”.