PDA

View Full Version : Value for money

half full
29th Sep 2004, 17:25
My first solo on PPRuNe...

I've trawled through the threads, especially the archives, for information on transforming myself into an employable entity, clutching my frozen ATPL.

The information held there is great, but what I've really been trying to get at is how I can best secure value for money in spending fat wedges of cash.

If I take it as a given that the modular training route is less expensive (all things are relative...) then is there a way of structuring that training that will allow me to:

a. Complete the training in the quickest possible time
b. Help me to achieve good scores in the exams and first time passes in the flight tests.
c. Make me more attractive (i'm no oil painting) to prospective employers.

I understand that cheapest is not always best, but that seems, so far, to be a far easier thing to measure than subjective views of this or that school/programme/country/aircraft etc.

Finally, a certain amount of reading between the lines seems to be needed in many of these threads, any tips on a starting point for this, being a newby, would be much appreciated!

take it easy..

birdlady
29th Sep 2004, 21:11
Hi Half Full

No the cheapest is not always the best but having said that in my experience (limited yes) that dont be fooled by the schools with all the glossy brochures and expensive rates. They sometimes tend to be a bit of a "factory" and dont always offer good individual attention. I've just finished my PPl here in SA and have to say the school I trained with was excellent. Superior Pilot Services. Flying is extremely cheap in comparison here in SA and the weather is brillant.
Another option, probably better in the long rung, for various reasons would be the states. Obviously it may not be financially viable to go and visit but it is a good idea. Ive heard Naples is excellent.
I will give you one piece of advice, and Im sure you've heard it before but if not please take note. NEVER PAY UP FRONT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alot of these schools will con you into it and its not a good idea believe me - I made the mistake and payed very dearly.

Good luck with what ever you decide
Bl:ok: :ok: :ok:

divorcingjack
1st Oct 2004, 15:39
Hi there,

I am in the middle of my CPL?/MEIR at the minute and would give you this advice. Be prepared for lots of setbacks that you weren't expecting, some of them devastating. I was all set up to go to Jerez for an integrated course, 14 months and into the jet job etc etc, when I unexpectedly failed my class 1 medical. I ended up taking a much better and MUCH cheaper modular route. Did my PPL in naples in just over 4 weeks, then came to Harvsair in Canada to do my CPL and multi IR. Am planning to go back to the UK and get my Class 1 on a renewal basis (long story) and convert the licences. The point is that this is not at all what I had planned to be doing, but it is working out much better in the end - be flexible - if you commit yourself totally to only having one option, then if that option is taken away .. well. you can guess how it makes you feel !

Take every advantage from Pprune, it is a fantastic resource - I have found all my flight training school based on personal experiences posted here, and haven't been disappointed yet. Best of luck and work hard, and take advice from people further ahead of you, they have made all the mistakes already !

divorcingjack

half full
7th Oct 2004, 16:09
Thanks for the feedback, all useful.

There's obviously the Flyer show in Nov at which I can do a certain amount of sniffing around, but can anyone help me with the other specific questions that I detailed in my first post?

Or should I initiate an argument as to the relative merits of integrated/modular in order to elicit some strong opinions!

cheers,

HF