PDA

View Full Version : JetStar Asia?

Wirraway
28th Sep 2004, 13:25
channel news asia

Qantas to launch new Singapore-based budget carrier on Wednesday

SINGAPORE : Just when you thought there are already many budget airlines to choose from, another one will be flying into town soon.

Australia's Qantas Airways is due to launch its as-yet-unnamed Singapore-based joint venture budget carrier on Wednesday.

Qantas owns 49.9 percent of the joint venture, while Singapore investment company, Temasek Holdings has 19 percent.

The remaining shareholders are two Singapore businessmen: Tony Chew, with 21 percent and FF Wong, with 10 percent.

Qantas says its chief executive Geoff Dixon will disclose the name, logo and crew of the budget carrier at a news conference on Wednesday.

It declined to comment on whether the airline has received its air operator certificate, which will allow it to operate in Singapore.

Qantas would only say that there are still some pending issues concerning the certificate, and that the application for some routes have yet to be approved.

Previously, Mr Dixon had said that the new airline will initially start flying with four aircraft.

It will then increase the fleet to over 20 planes in the next three years.

The other budget carriers already operating from Singapore are homegrown Tiger Airways and Valuair.

Budget carriers have been sprouting up since Malaysia's AirAsia started an aggressive expansion plan in the region. - CNA

===========================================

Romeo Tango Alpha
28th Sep 2004, 15:11
Tick toc tick toc tick toc....

That's the sound of the clock of impending DOOM for QANTAS - you can only stretch SO far!

Did Qantas learn NOTHING from Ansett?????

Don Esson
29th Sep 2004, 04:17
....as-yet-unnamed Singapore-based joint venture budget carrier....

Any bets on Jetstar Asia?? Why be so precious about the name when all and sundry have known for weeks what the baby will be called. But we could be wrong.

Johhny Utah
29th Sep 2004, 04:35
RTA - would that tick-tock be the sounds of Qantas putting ALL of their eggs into oner basket, and therefore being totally reliant on a very small international segment to support them? Thereby putting them at the mercy of any unexpected event that may happen within the regional financial environment (say, for example, another Asian currency crisis?)

OR would that be the sound of Qantas diversifying into another burgeoning market, thereby broadening their revenue base & moving away from a reliance any single revenue source...?

I guess it all depends on where you stand on the glass half full/half empty equation...

:rolleyes:

Bill Smith
29th Sep 2004, 06:32
If you do a search on whois, it shows Qantas owns the website url for Jetstarasia. Suprise Suprise

Actually the website has just been activated www.jetstar.com

Whoops www.jetstarasia.com

SINGAPORE, 29 September 2004
Qantas-Backed Singapore
Low Cost Carrier Unveils
Name, Brand, Livery & Uniform
Jetstar Asia

The name, brand, livery and uniform for the new Qantas Airways backed Singapore low cost carrier was unveiled today.

The airline, to be called Jetstar Asia, will be an international regional
extension of Jetstar, the low cost carrier launched by Qantas in the
Australian domestic market in May this year. The airline will be a
partnership between Qantas, Singaporean businessmen Tony Chew and FF Wong and Temasek Holdings.

Jetstar Asia will commence flying to several popular tourist and business
destinations within five hours of Singapore by the end of the year and will
feature a bold and distinctive silver, black and orange livery.

The Chairman of Jetstar Asia and Chief Executive Officer of Qantas Airways,
Mr Geoff Dixon, said the airline\'s strong association with Qantas would
ensure the highest standards of operational excellence, whilst delivering
real savings to customers.

"The new Jetstar Asia brand is indicative of our fresh and vibrant approach
toward low cost travel in the region," Mr. Dixon said.

"We are building a new Asian airline which will feature a brand-new fleet,
Asian hospitality and the operational excellence for which Qantas is famous to create a new, natural and friendly on-board culture."

Mr Dixon said the new uniform was a fusion of Asian tradition and
contemporary design. Based on the traditional Qi Pao, it is stylish,
comfortable and distinctive.

"Low fares, great destinations and our friendly crew will create a
comfortable and enjoyable travel experience, affordable to all. Jetstar
Asia will enable more people to enjoy the speed, efficiency and comfort of
air travel."

Jetstar Asia Chief Operating Officer, Con Korfiatis, said: "It\'s our people
that will really make the difference. Our pilots and crew are enthusiastic
and committed to bring together the best of Asia and Australia, creating a
truly friendly and enjoyable experience for all our customers.

"This is an exciting time to be in the aviation industry and many people
have applied to join Jetstar Asia. The response has been overwhelming."

Mr Korfiatis said that up to 200 jobs would be created when Jetstar Asia
launched by the end of the year.

He said forty five experienced pilots had been recruited and over fifty
cabin crew were currently in training with more to join the airline over
the coming months.

Mr Korfiatis said that Jetstar Asia\'s fleet of brand new Airbus A320
aircraft, which seat 180 customers, would arrive in Singapore from
next month.

"The A320 offers customers the widest cabin of any single-aisle aircraft in
the sky and its stylish and comfortable leather seats will provide extra
comfort. It is a proven and reliable aircraft with low operating costs -
and this means savings for our customers.

"These savings will give our customers the freedom to enjoy the
efficiency and convenience of air travel. They can fly to more destinations more often."

Mr Korfiatis said the Jetstar Asia fleet would comprise four A320s by
January 2005 and build to more than 20 aircraft over the next three years.

Jetstar Asia\'s launch date, routes and fare structures will be announced
upon receipt of an Air Operator\'s Certificate (AOC) and traffic rights.

Wirraway
29th Sep 2004, 07:27
AAP

Qantas launches Asian discount airline
September 29, 2004 - 4:49PM

Qantas Airways Ltd chief executive Geoff Dixon said he was confident the new low cost Asian airline launched in Singapore will still be around in three to four years.

Qantas is the major stakeholder in Jetstar Asia, a sister airline to Jetstar Australia, with a 49 per cent interest with other partners including Singaporean businessmen Tony Chew (22 per cent) and FF Wong (10 per cent).

Mr Dixon, speaking to journalists from Singapore, said destinations for Jetstar Asia are still to be confirmed but it will fly to popular tourist and business destinations within five hours of Singapore, which could include Darwin and Perth.

The airline, which is still in discussions for terminal access, should be in the air by the end of the year with four Airbus A320 aircraft - the same plane used by Jetstar Australia.

Mr Dixon, who will be Jetstar Asia chairman, said Qantas had invested $S50 million in the airline to allow it to have a managerial role in the new company.

He said there were three other discount airlines operating in the region but was confident Jetstar Asia will compete successfully.

"I can assure you, I don't know who will be left standing but this airline will be standing at the end of it," Mr Dixon said.

"I don't know where the other airlines will end up, but I can assure you Jetstar Asia and Jetstar Australia will be around in three or four years time.

He said competition will be very tough but Jetstar Asia will differentiate itself by having a cost base that will enable it match the fares of rivals.

He said customer ethos and branding was another point of difference.

"We have done that in Australia with Jetstar and we hope we can do it in this part of the world," he said.

Mr Dixon said up to 200 jobs, including 50 pilots, will be created when the airline starts flying.

© 2004 AAP

missleadfoot
29th Sep 2004, 07:33
Just saw the website, looking good!!

So when does Virgin Asia start? They today announced Virgin Nigeria and apparently Virgin Pacific is in the pipeline (branch of Virgin Atlantic, not Pacific Blue) so I cant see it being far off if there is a buck to be made. I dont know if its me but its getting all too confusing.

Bill Smith
29th Sep 2004, 07:38
Haven't read any news of " VN " but have read in a few different news articles that VB is in negotiations with Air Macau.

Angle of Attack
29th Sep 2004, 15:36
I dont want to be negative and I rarely post topics on here, but I cannot see JetStar Asia being succesful in the long term, its just too much expansion, even for old GD to contemplate. Sorry but who bets it will be around in 3 years time? I doubt it will, and if it is, it wont be a powerhouse in the region. Just my 2 cents worth.

Wirraway
29th Sep 2004, 16:36
Thurs "Sydney Morning Herald"

Qantas plots course with Jetstar Asia
By Scott Rochfort
September 30, 2004

Qantas officially baptised its Singapore-based budget offshoot Jetstar Asia yesterday, prompting speculation the carrier could one day marry parts of its domestic Jetstar subsidiary with its Asian operations in order to slash costs.

At a press briefing in Singapore yesterday, Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon still failed to provide a list of destinations for the airline due to start services in December.

While he was short on detail, Mr Dixon said: "This is going to be a very, very substantial airline".

Combined with Jetstar's plans to have a fleet of 23 Airbus 320s by mid-2006, the Qantas chief said Qantas could have up to 40 Jetstar aircraft servicing the entire Asia-Pacific region within 18 months.

Jetstar Asia plans to have four A320s in service by January 2005.

Despite the recent entry of low-cost carriers, such as AirAsia, Valuair and the Singapore Airlines part-owned Tiger Airways out of Singapore, Mr Dixon dismissed any notion Qantas had missed the boat.

Noting the anticipated boom in low-cost air traffic across Asia, he said: "I can assure you that Jetstar Asia, indeed Jetstar Australia, its sister airline, will be around in three or four years' time."

Mr Dixon said Jetstar Asia could not name its destinations, given it had yet to gain all necessary regulatory approvals to start services. But he said the five-hour maximum range of Jetstar Asia flights could still take in northern Australia and the bulk of the most populous regions of Asia.

"We'd love to look at India, we'd love to look at China and we'd love to look at a lot of places," he said.

Providing the first sign of the close working relationship between the two Jetstars, Qantas's new Asian airline will start flying with two A320s borrowed from Jetstar Australia while it awaits delivery of its own aircraft.

Despite the speculation about possible synergies between the two Jetstars, Mr Dixon insisted the airlines would have separate heavy maintenance bases.

But some analysts said it was logical for both airlines to share the same name, from a branding point of view, given the large number of Australians who travel throughout South-East Asia.

Mr Dixon said he was confident Qantas would not need to inject more capital beyond its initial S$50 million ($41 million) investment in Jetstar Asia.

Jetstar Asia is 49 per cent owned by Qantas, 32 per cent by Singapore businessmen Wong Fong Fui and Tony Chew, and 19 per cent by the Singapore Government's investment arm, Temasek Holdings.

Temasek, which is Singapore Airlines' major shareholder, also has an 11 per cent stake in Singapore Airlines' low-cost offshoot, Tiger, which launched services this month.

Temasek also took a 3 per cent shareholding in Qantas this month, after British Airways sold its remaining 18.25 per cent stake, fuelling talk of a potential marriage between Qantas and Singapore Airlines.

Tiger now flies to three destinations in Thailand.

Since its launch in May, Valuair flies from Singapore to Bangkok, Hong Kong and Jakarta, and will start flying to Perth in December. Valuair is now in talks to launch services into India and China.

AirAsia, once cited as a possible partner to Qantas or Virgin Blue, launched services from Singapore in February.

=========================================

Lodown
29th Sep 2004, 17:39
Well, I suspect you're half right RTA, although I don't think Qantas will succumb to outside pressures, rather it will decline in accordance with its own internal plan. Qantas is being overtaken by Jetstar and offshoots. The little children will forcefully push the parent to the background into retirement and take over heading the household. While the brand name might be a common denominator, it appears as though Qantas as a corporation is gradually removing itself from airline operations and becoming an airline financier/investor. The core brand name remains for the time being.

commander adama
29th Sep 2004, 21:31
Gee AoA. Great post?

A man of many words. I wonder why you even bother to post. LIke the labour Party. Short on detail and narrow minded.

Cheers

Kaptin M
29th Sep 2004, 23:23
To try to put some perspective into what's going on there, one doesn't need to dig too deeply.

Jetstar Asia is 49 per cent owned by Qantas, 32 per cent by Singapore businessmen Wong Fong Fui and Tony Chew, and 19 per cent by the Singapore Government's investment arm, Temasek Holdings.

1) Temasek is Singapore Airlines' major shareholder;

2) Temasek took a 3 per cent shareholding in Qantas this month;

3) Temasekhas an 11 per cent stake in Singapore Airlines' low-cost offshoot, Tiger;

Singapore Airlines is steadily becoming the controlling interest in the South-East Asia Pacific region - I doubt they have the ability to completely control all of the Asian sphere, as there are far bigger competitors with much deeper pockets, in the China/Japan area. So it is my guess that SQ will attempt to dominate the Oceana area - Singapore and south, to cover Australia, New Zealand, and the Pacific island areas eg. New Guinea, Fiji, Vanuatu.
I wonder how they feel about the Mauritius and South Africa part of the world?

JetStar Asia is a convenient further foot into QANTAS territory, for Temasek - SQ's majority shareholder.

So yes, AoA, I believe Dixon is selling QF out to Singaporean interests, and he knows it!
A truly GREAT Aussie CEO, lah!! :mad:

Frank Burden
29th Sep 2004, 23:55
The question must be asked what is there in it for Qantas? Business diversification in an area of expertise? Spreading risk and seeking additional cash flows? A foothold in South East Asia? Is this a stepping stone into bigger and better things eg joint venture in China? Is GD taking a big risk or just testing the water?

Seems he has some good bedfellows and the potential vehicle to become one of the big players in the fastest developing regions in the world for air travel.:ok:

Treat me kindly or I will turn into a cranky Franky.:{

Bill Smith
30th Sep 2004, 01:08
They say that the routes haven't been announced yet but any competitor that was worth half their salt wouldn't find it too difficult.
I spent 2 minutes looking and came up with these:

69 jetstar.com.vn 03-03-2004 Qantas Airways Limited
70 jetstarasia.com.vn 03-03-2004 Qantas Airways Limited

The first one takes you to the site that is the same as the Australian site the second one is not active. Nevertheless both Vietnam domains owned by Qantas

Tunguska
30th Sep 2004, 01:31
Kaptin M.

You sit down lah, have drink lah !!
Very true words, but I suppose Temasek Holdings are very shrewd these days about where to invest their S$$, especially after the debacle where their 25% shareholding in Air NZ was whittled away to under 4 %.

Johnny Utah, true about diversifying and it could work either way.
A burgeoning market is a definite possibility but obviously a risk that very shrewd businessmen in each country are prepared to take.

E.P.
30th Sep 2004, 03:14
Almost all of the pilots are ex-Ansett 320 drivers. Some have resigned from QF mainline and others have left secure Asian carriers (flying 340/330) to join. :E

Big things ahead Jet*ching-chong and bigger planes also!! :}

HAVE FUN FELLA'S!! :ok:

Kaptin M
30th Sep 2004, 04:14
"Almost all of the pilots are ex-Ansett 320 xxxxs" - people with proven track records, eh E.P.!!

Well if any of you QF drivers were unsure which direction GOD - undoubtedly following Oldmeadow's advice - has you headed, putting ALL of the available info. together, you shouldn't be, any longer.

What DOES amaze me, is the EXTRAORDINARY expense airline so-called "management" will go to today, to save a mere fraction of what they outlay, by replacing existing staff with cheaper labour.
Mind you, the majority of the staff cuts will come from the front-line staff, whilst the numbers behind desks, in Bullsh!t Castle INCREASE.

Say "Thanks" to the "ex-Ansett 320 xxxxs", QF pilots!

Mr.Buzzy
30th Sep 2004, 04:15
To date Hoo Froo Poo from SIA has been relaxed about all this. Somebody mentioned a hornets nest earlier; Id compare this QANTAS move to Saddam stirring up George in Texas!
Expect the full wrath of corporate hidings and dont for a minute think they will end in Asia! This move just may further impact ALL of us in OZ.............

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

altocu
30th Sep 2004, 05:19
"He said forty five experienced pilots had been recruited and over fifty cabin crew were currently in training with more to join the airline over the coming months."

Does that number include the Cadets? If so, a little bit of false advertising.

Iakklat
30th Sep 2004, 07:16
test

Wirraway
30th Sep 2004, 08:30
Thurs "NewsToday" (Singapore)

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/mnt/media/image/launched/2004-09-30/h2.jpg

We never blocked SIA bid to buy into Qantas, says CEO
Shobha Tsering Bhalla
[email protected]

QANTAS Airways' management never blocked attempts by Singapore Airlines (SIA) to buy into the Australian airline, its CEO Geoff Dixon said yesterday.

"We have never opposed SIA in buying into Qantas. The government decided it was going to sell the 25 per cent to British Airways (BA) and not to SIA," he told Today on the sidelines of a press conference to announce new budget airline Jetstar Asia's logo and brand.

The carrier — launched in April — is owned by Qantas (49.9 per cent), Tema-sek Holdings (19 per cent), and Singa-pore businessmen Tony Chew (21.1 per cent) and FF Wong (10 per cent).

The ninth low-cost carrier serving South-east Asia, Jetstar Asia will start flying four leased Airbus A320s to destinations within five hours of Singapore by the end of the year. But, it has no plans to fly to Perth.

"We understand Perth is an issue because Valuair is flying there. At this stage we have no intention of flying to Perth," said Mr Dixon, who has signed a contract to stay on as head of Qantas until 2007.

Mr Dixon also confirmed that Temasek Holdings has a 3-per-cent stake in Qantas, a stake bought when BA divested its 18.25-per-cent stock to institutional investors recently.
In 1992, BA outbid SIA to take a 25-per -cent stake in Qantas for A$665 million ($806 million). The Singapore carrier was said to have offered A$500 million for a 20-per-cent stake. This was 7 per cent lower than BA's bid on a per-share basis.

Failing in its Qantas bid, SIA carrier tried to buy into Australian domestic airline Ansett, but was also unsuccessful in this. Since then SIA and Qantas have been locked in fierce competition over the lucrative "kangaroo" routes between Europe and Australia.

Acknowledging the rivalry, Mr Dixon said Qantas had never had a relationship

with SIA. "We are very fierce competitors and Jetstar certainly won't improve it," he said. The relationship with SIA's "parent", Temasek, is a different story. "We have no problems at all with Temasek – we welcome them as an investor and we have a good relationship with them," he said.

With Jetstar Asia, Qantas appears to have been given a free hand. Its chief operating officer Con Korfiatis, who is in the running for the chief executive officer's post - is a Qantas man. Mr Dixon is Jetstar Asia's chairman and will preside over a board comprising three Qantas representatives and three Singapore representatives.

The chief engineer and head of marketing will be Singaporeans, said Mr Tony Chew, who along with Mr FF Wong was a founder-stakeholder of Myanmar Airways in the early 1990s.

Mr Dixon confirmed that Jetstar Asia, which will start flights by the end of this year, would position itself as a pure budget airline.
"We will not be serving snacks like Valuair – we will be selling food. We will not be serving five-course meals or anything like that but the food we sell will be good. We're not going to get caught in the middle. We're not going to be all things to all people. We'll be a genuine low-cost carrier, more like Tiger. But we believe you don't have to have those (frills). People don't mind buying food as long as you have good crew, a good safe airline and new aircraft.

"It will have a very good livery; it will have new aircraft; it will have a very dedicated young crew," he said.
Its hiring policy and training will adhere to Qantas standards. Some 45 experienced pilots and 50 cabin crew have already been hired and trained, and up to 200 jobs will have been created by the end of this year. Nearly all the jobs will go to Singaporeans, said Mr Dixon.

LetsGoRated
30th Sep 2004, 09:18
Jetstar Asia will prove to be a masterstroke by Team Dixon. Wake up and smell the strategy people!! Jetstar Asia will be Qantas' foothold in the region, and for those of you predicting its demise, remember this is the fastest growing region on earth in terms of population growth as well as financially. The presence of the Jetstar brand in Asia will serve to promote the growth of Jetstar Australia from Asian visitors and vice versa. Team Dixon is 100% committed to making this a success and has publicly stated that he will not allow it to fail. Dixon has planted a seed and this combined with an unwavering strategic vision will see it grow to a monolith in the coming years...........the bells are a ringing folks!!:ok:

Kaptin M
30th Sep 2004, 09:43
I fear that those "bells that are a ringin' ", might just be the death knell for Australian QANTAS employees, in Australia, LGR!

I'm SURE that GOD is "100% committed to making this a success" - he sees a BIG performance bonus for HIMSELF, once he f#cks the Oz QF employees absolutely, using JSA - and (my guess) Australian.....all with the blessing of Temasek - SIA's major shareholder.

Once QANTAS has been scuttled - by breaking it up into several different pieces - the way is clear for (the mighty) Singapore Airlines to start knocking these little guys off, one-by-one.

The plan crystallises!

nochrome
30th Sep 2004, 09:51
What about the Cabin Crew pay rates, are the tech crew going to be paid in similar fashion I wonder?

E.P.
30th Sep 2004, 10:06
Now, now Chuckie.....be nice. :rolleyes:

Romeo Tango Alpha
30th Sep 2004, 12:10
The writing surely is on the wall for all to see, but it seems some are blinded by the light and shinola emmitting from Dixon's over-stretched orifice! Anyone care to remember SIA's attempt to start a budget airline here in Oz some years ago? And now they own a goodly percent of Jetfart Asia-lah! Hmmm - doesn't take a neurosurgeon to figure things ladies and gentlemen, but we shall see.

How unusual for former Ansett heroes to yet again be opportunists. It seems once tarred with the brush, always tarred with the brush, eh E.P?

Times they are a-changing...

The Matirx
30th Sep 2004, 12:40
Capts = $120 Sin.

F/Os = $ 60 Sin.

Various threats made by 'The Gerbil' and the JSA CP to ex AN A320 pers in QF to take positions or it will 'have an adverse effect on your career'.

AIPA has done nothing or been complicit as usual..............

"Everything that has a beginning must have an end"

Wizofoz
30th Sep 2004, 14:12
Yeah Kap, expats going in and being paid less than the incumbents. Gad! That sounds like..err..you!

Sunfish
30th Sep 2004, 19:49
There is a very old business principle that says "stick to your knitting". Qantas knows SFA about Asian business customs, markets, or business practices.

My guess is it will follow the long line of Australian businesses that have been royally screwed in Asia, the last of course being Telstra (how many billion did itwrite off?).

Asian businessmen feed them the standard bait - which is the purported "huge" size of the Asian market. However the market never eventuates and the Australians finally realised that they have over invested. Soon there is not enough working capital. My Dad says he has seen five such Asain "booms" since 1935, all of them hollow.

The Australians baulk at having to fork out more to keep a loss making business going. Then their local business partner makes them an offer they cannot refuse and aquires the assets and infrastructure for a song - and guess what? Suddenly the business starts to make money!

The dream of international expansion is very seductive for management, international business trips (as if QF execs don't get enough?), opportunities to expand the number of management positions and direct reports, to "train" yourself to be CEO (or whatever) by taking a similar appointment in the little subsidiary.

However the hard reality is that you should never EVER expand internationally unless you have a COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE.

To put it in simple terms which all can understand: IS THERE SOMETHING THAT QANTAS CAN DO IN ASIAN MARKETS THAT NO ONE ELSE IN THE WORLD CAN DO?

I think the obvious answer is no. Asian markets do very nicely on their own thank you. Please come and build us a new airline Qantas. When it doesn't make any money, we will buy your share of it for a song, then we will use our business contacts to fill the seats and make money, but not before we have got rid of you.

Wait for the exuberance over the launch of jetstar Asia to peak, then sell your share. Give it a year or two and you will get them back for half price.

In my haste I forgot to read this post, but when I did I started laughing. How many times have I heard slight variations on this rubbish?

"Jetstar Asia will prove to be a masterstroke by Team Dixon. Wake up and smell the strategy people!! Jetstar Asia will be Qantas\' foothold in the region, and for those of you predicting its demise, remember this is the fastest growing region on earth in terms of population growth as well as financially. The presence of the Jetstar brand in Asia will serve to promote the growth of Jetstar Australia from Asian visitors and vice versa. Team Dixon is 100% committed to making this a success and has publicly stated that he will not allow it to fail. Dixon has planted a seed and this combined with an unwavering strategic vision will see it grow to a monolith in the coming years...........the bells are a ringing folks!!"

Lets deconstruct this:

"Jetstar Asia will be Qantas\' foothold in the region":

- Precisely why is J*Asia going to take market share from the other multitude of carriers? Please explain? Also please explain how they are going to cope with competitor response? Do they know what that is? Qantas fights tooth and nail for market share, why wouldn\'t they expect their competitors to do the same?

"remember this is the fastest growing region on earth in terms of population growth as well as financially":-

This may be true, for today. However the logical fallacy is that somehow this growth will translate into increased air travel. It may not do that, especially if interest rates increase or oil prices skyrocket.

To put it another way the lure of huge Asian markets is always used to attract western investment. To put it simplistically "There are 900 million Chinese, if I can sell even ten percent a tooth brush, I can sell 90 million toothbrushes, therefore I will build a toothbrush plant in China". This conveniently ignores the fact that there are already Chinese toothbrush manufacturers, that most of the 900 million can\'t afford toothbrushes, and that those that do prefer to keep supporting local institutions.

"presence of the Jetstar brand in Asia will serve to promote the growth of Jetstar Australia ":-

Please explain how this is going to translate into bums on seats. Does it mean that it is OK if Jetstar Asia is losing money if Jetstar Australia is getting extra revenue from Asian passengers?

" Team Dixon is 100% committed to making this a success and has publicly stated that he will not allow it to fail. "

Don\'t make me laugh! Dixon is CHAIRMAN of J* Asia! He is finally a CHAIRMAN!!! Whoopee out from under! Next stop CEO of BA! However if you are a shareholder, I wonder how much of your money he is prepared to squander to make this a success? One billion? Two billion?

This is just total madness. Hasn\'t the Qantas Board heard of Risk Managment! What passes for corporate governance these days at Qantas? Obviously there isn\'t any, other wise how did Trevor Kennedy and later James Packer get on the Board? One was a media type and the other has already lost billions with Onetel.

Foreign Worker
30th Sep 2004, 20:34
Qantas knows SFA about Asian business customs, markets, or business practices. How very true. It might appear to some that Mr Dixon is selling off the farm (QANTAS) to support his own excesses.

The SGD is in for a downward spiral, following recent announcements from large government owned entities, such as Singtel, that they will be outsourcing thousands of manufacturing and telecommunications jobs - no doubt to China and India - thereby displacing several thousand Singaporeans.
A tiny island state (30nm X 15nm) with a population of only 3 million, and no unemployment benefits cannot absorb (relative) mass unemployment of that magnitude.

This venture by CEO Dixon looks destined to be a lose-lose one.
A loss of QANTAS market share and QANTAS employee jobs, and a loss of Jet Star Asia capital value, as the SGD declines.

vortsa
1st Oct 2004, 10:15
I think you need to be reminded by some of the old timers which international company was responsible for setting up MSA many years ago. Ask around and you will find out that Qantas has been there before, so starting up a new airline in Asia is not all that strange to them. Malaysian Airlines and S.I.A. still carry some of the structure from those earlier days, which should be seen as an endorsement of the Qantas system.

Jet Jockey
1st Oct 2004, 10:28
Your all missing the point. Dixon is so flush with cash he can throw a bit at Jetstar Asia. If it looks like a loser bring the planes and pilots back to Australian market. The aircraft are the same as Jetstar Oz and most of the pilots are ozzy. There is even a clause in the contract to that effect. Most of the pilots have been approached for the positions and are already endorsed and why wouldn't they take the positions if offered? Espically if out of work. Money appears better than on offer at home even with a low SGD dollar.
Capt $10,000pm + $235hr for flight hours over 55. About $17,000 a month. Less 20% tax and 20% currency conversion. Still $10,800oz in hand. Singapore is expensive but so is Sydney if you don't own a house there already.
Qantas pilots should be very worried on their pay and conditions. Good times are over. Latest Update requested on Staff.ctv website handling Jetstar australia applications enquiring about any A330/340 endorse pilots or experinece???????

Sunfish
1st Oct 2004, 10:39
With the very greatest of respect JJ, if "Dixon" (you mean tne company) is "flush with cash" ( meaning what it has screwed out of Australian consumers) then the money is SHARE HOLDERS FUNDS.

Translate : It isn't Geoff's to dick around with.

I return to my question about corporate governance, and I have an MBA from the same place as Margaret Jackon, but I have more airline experience than she does, so do about three other persons I can think of.

The Qantas board, and its strategy, is a f****ng joke. The Qantas strength used to be a) that its pilots were first class pilots first, and B that its cabin staff (with apologies to the ground staff) were first class!

Two examples that stick in my mind from the seventies:

1) Making a very difficult landing in thunderstorm conditions at Kai Tak when the aussie voice came on "this is your Captain speaking".

2) Watching a Qantas Steward suss out the fact that the passengers next to me were a British family migrating to Australia and none to sure of their decision. This Steward single handedly lifted their spirits and did a stirling job not only for Qantas, but Australia ("Come on kids, this is Australian orange juice! Liquid sunshine! now say get it inya!"

Unfortunately today Qantas is no different from any of the other bus drivers.

The Matirx
1st Oct 2004, 12:09
Well jet jocky you are a complete di$ckhead my friend.

I just checked the staff cv website and there is no mention of a A330 / 340 endorsement for Jet* aust or asia.

As for the money in Sin, don't forget its 40k sin for rent and 20K per year per child for education.

I understand the F/O's are planning to rent a two bedroom flat and pack 5 or 6 of them in there.......

Jet Jockey
1st Oct 2004, 12:36
Well I don't no where your looking Matrix but I just re-checked and the question is still up on the Jetstar Aust application on Staff ctv. Do you have an A330/340 endorsement and what hours. Was put on application form about 10 days ago. Was emailed and asked to udate details and fill in new questions.
I accept your apology.

By the way I think what is happening with pay and conditions is outrageous back in Oz and I have not been a part of it. Been doing contract work in Europe since AN and earing more money. Now Hong Kong bound.

who givza
1st Oct 2004, 13:20
The real story behind Jet * Asia is that QF were going to move the main line operation to Bangkok and the government has bent over back wards to hang on to them as QF is the second biggest user of Changi terminal 1........hence the big leg up.

I happened to be sitting at the lunch table when a CAAS examiner was talking about the Jet Star AOC application. Quote...(a very proffesional application, the best we have very been presented with )

Let the games begin..........Fact. The Director of Valuair said that they have underestimated an auful lot and the chief pilot was quoted as saying that he is very worried.

Interesting times. Happy flying
:ok:

Zapatas Blood
1st Oct 2004, 14:26
Sunfish,

QF's strength used to be that it was government owned and was not subject to the pressures of the market place like most airlines.

Also, why were QF pilots first class compared to pilots at other airlines? were all others second class or just most second class. were there first class pilots at other airlines too?

Sunfish
1st Oct 2004, 21:11
Back in the 70's my opinion is that the difference was that Qantas crew morale was just terrific. They had something to prove to the world and they did it. This in my opinion gave them an edge over other carriers.

Somewhere about the middle to late eighties they seemed to lose it and became conceited and complacent - at least the cabin crew did from my impressions flying the Kangaroo route every year or to the States.

Last flight on Qantas was three years ago to the States. At pushback at MEL for a direct flight to LAX, spoiler actuator started leaking. Wait in aircraft 40 minutes - sorry no spares in MEL. Unload aircraft. Reload into another aircraft. Fly to Sydney. Join other flights. Crap seating. No apologies. Arrive in New Orleans six hours late for Mardi gras.

Farken QF are no different to any other bus service these days.

John Citizen
1st Oct 2004, 22:56
I just updated Jetstar on staff.cv lastnight and I also came across the questions :

Do you have A330/A340 type rating?
Do you have Command experience on above type?
Command Hours
Co-pilot Hours
Last flight in the A330/340 aircraft?

Why don't you get your facts right before you starting call people names because you think they are wrong and you think you are so right.

Unfortunately there are just too many complete di$ckheads like you in aviation who think they know it all, but they actually don't. To make it worse, they uses phrases such as :
- abusive name calling, ie, complete di$ckhead (when they falsely accuse others of being wrong)
- or listen here mate
- the books say.... (they got no idea / they are wrong)
- it just can't be done (when it can)
- I am always right/ you are always wrong attitude
- I am better than you attitude
- I know more than you attitude

Just too many of them in aviation/life unfortunately.

Have we all now got the right to call you the complete di$ckhead now ?

Sometimes I just love karma.

The Matirx
1st Oct 2004, 23:08
JJ - my apologies.

There are a lot of non industry folks on this forum going the wind up at the moment.

JS - chill.

Orville
1st Oct 2004, 23:58
John Citizen,

Unfortunately there are just too many complete di$ckheads like you in aviation who think they know it all, but they actually don't. To make it worse, they uses phrases such as :........ You are correct with your assessment, unfortunately most posters on this forum are pilots and ignorance and arrogance are a deadly combination in aviation.

Icarus2001
2nd Oct 2004, 04:13
The real story behind Jet * Asia is that QF were going to move the main line operation to Bangkok and the government

who givza Would you care to explain your strange claim? Are you suggesting Qantas intended to bypass Changi?
What do you mean by "move the mainline operation"?

commander adama
2nd Oct 2004, 07:31
Sunfish

What the hell are you doing in this forum. Your postings are mindless and reflect the total lack of knowledge you possess of the industry. A/c broke down. Changes a/c and ended up flying out of Sydney and **** only 6 hours late. I think op's did a superb job.

*Lancer*
2nd Oct 2004, 08:46
Icarus,

Most flights to Europe used to be done through Bangkok, but increasing costs and restrictions prompted Qantas to move all flights (bar the QF1/2) through Singapore. Now that the new airport in Bangkok is almost open, there is the possibility of a move back...

Sunfish
3rd Oct 2004, 03:21
Commander A, I'm sure that Ops did a fantastic job. I do not have a total lack of knowledge of airlines, I only worked for one for six years. My point is that they didn't bother to communicate any of this fantastic job to us mere passengers. Secondly no spares in MEL, and probably on one who was endorsed to change it anyway. Jeez we didn't even get offered free drinks!

Talking of industry knowledge, is Quanitarse still in constant breach of the Act, or has the Act been changed?

I'm talking about the little matter of "demand managment" (or whatever its now called) which is the practice of canceling domestic flights at will when the loadings are a little low. Strictly speaking this is (or was) illegal under the Act. With an RPT licence, flights are supposed to depart at the scheduled time whether they have ten pax or one hundred pax.

Furthermore, has the ATO ever bothered to audit the Australian transactions made through the IATA Clearing house in Montreal? Its the best money laundering method in the world.

HANOI
4th Oct 2004, 00:25
So Sunfish , you haven't flown on Qantas for three years , yet you continue to lambast them , apparently with no experience base. You claim to have an MBA but make kindergarten comments and demonstrate a monumental lack of understanding of business practice . You really don't belong here , do you ?.

CallButton
4th Oct 2004, 00:39
I would be absolutely spewing if I were you Sunfish. They made you pay for drinks on the direct LAX service! Come in spinner!:}

Sunfish
4th Oct 2004, 04:26
You know what I mean Callbutton - the drinks trollies stayed firmly closed!:{

Actually I have had to take the odd Dash Eight to get to my diving destinations, and I can't detect any change in the way they operate. Furthermore, since Qantas models itself and its business practices on United and BA, it will take a lot longer than three years to try and turn its lumbering bulk around, more like ten years I would expect.

As for business practices, when did Qantas have any other business strategy then to pull political strings to nobble its competition and skate as close as it can to ACCC predatory pricing laws?

If you had any experience at all Hanoi, you would know that when it comes to regulation of big RTP operators like Qantas, and Ansett in its day, we actually TOLD CASA and its predecessors how to regulate and supervise us because we had more technical resources and experience than they did.

I still remember designing a supervision system based on reported defects by fleet and by ATA chapter and comparing monthly figures against long term performance at 95 and 99 percent confidence intervals to detect systemic maintenance failures. We took it across the road to CASA or whatever it was called and they used it for years to monitor us!

By the way, the business school definition of Qantas's Jetstar strategy is called "pissing in the soup".

And by the way, I've just checked Hanoi's miserable little posting history, and I've been caught by a troll, silly me.

Prong Wallop
4th Oct 2004, 11:47
Here we go again. Following the great Australian tradition of promoting and or resurrecting the key people involved in abject business failures the new COO of JetstarAsia has to his credit previous roles as Ansetts' commercial director and chief financial officer. Most people would be familiar with the stellar financial performance of Ansett, not to mention the the thoroughly researched due diligence shown in the Air NZ purchase. To add insult to injury as head of Qantas' group strategy I presume he can claim partial responsibilty for the devolution of that once proud carrier into the fragmented and divisive goup of opportunistic subsidiaries that purport to comprise Qantas today.
Finally, just what the industry needs is another accountant running what could be a great opportunity for a lateral approach to a new airline, but no, people management and building a long term competitive advantage are out and counting the beans in.

jakethemuss
4th Oct 2004, 12:59
From what I hear learned colleagues,

Mr. Acropolis is not long for this world when it comes to presidency of the democracy. His performance thus far has been less than exemplary.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day; Teach him how to fish, he'll eat forever."

Now, stop putting rubbish posts on bulletin boards such as this and do the profession a favour. Oh, and make sure your spelling is commensurate with your supposed education level.

This applies only to professional Airline Pilots as that is the only criteria for accessing this site, is it not?