PDA

View Full Version : Depressed?

Burned Off
29th Sep 2004, 14:02
Hi,

I'm in a state of perplexity and would appreciate some advice or information.

Cutting a long story short, I've been going through a "low point" recently and my confidence, esteem and motivation all pretty low. A number of things have probably contributed to this already but what makes it worse is knowing that my groundschool studies are suffering. Very recently I have been at an all time low and find it hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel. My mood swings and I'm snappy to my family and friends and although I have kept my problems to myself a good friend suggested counselling. I've kind of agree but one thing is stopping me from seeking advice and that is the fear of blemishing my medical records. Very selfish of me I know!

I'm really asking if there is any way I could go about maybe getting counselling and will it cause problems on my medical records? I've not seen my doctor about it at all. but I just want to sort it all out and get to the bottom of it. Hope I haven't depressed anybody.

Thanks in advance for info

Bye

VH-Cheer Up
29th Sep 2004, 14:18
If you go to see a psychologist you can receive counseling on a confidential basis. However, in most countries, the psychologist is obligated to ensure you do no harm to yourself or any others. So if you are depressed to the point of potential morbidity, the psychologist may feel obliged to inform any appropriate authorities.

Best thing is go see your GP and get a referral to a clinical psychologist. Once there, establish the ground rules before you say what you do. Maybe keep the name of your employer confidential if you are still concerned.

Addressing the situation you face, whatever it is, is the best way to resolve it. It's smart to enlist professional help.

Winston Churchill once said "Most of the problems in my life, never actually happened". I don't want to trivialise your situation, but it is possible with professional help you may be able to resolve all your issues and wind up a far better and much happier human being.

Depressed people make errors and drag down those around them. For your own sake as well as everyone else's, take the opportunity to get some help.

There's no shame, I assure you, as someone who has been there, done that, and survived.

josephshankes
29th Sep 2004, 14:29
Cheer up a good post.

Burned off, check you PM.

Burned Off
29th Sep 2004, 15:22
Thanks guys,

I agree with you Cheer Up!! I totally agree that it an unhealthy situation. To be honest it has all come about very quickly. Just a few weeks ago I was having a great time - too good maybe! My appetite is all messed up! I'm getting by on small portions of food.

I get bouts of anxiety particularly often just that few seconds after waking from sleep. They come and go but the sensation is a searing one - like somebody has told you some awful news. They alternate with bouts of sadness and it can be embarrassing! I'm worried that this is part of my make up and that somehow I'm prone to it or something!

Thanks for your help here guys, Jo thanks for your PM.

ikea
29th Sep 2004, 17:32
ive been there before, and some days I still am, i was on meds for 2 years, and had therapy. I realised I needed to be better before I could be a pro pilot. Getting rid of a loser partner also boosted my mood and now im young free and single! But message me if ya want to know anything more, but I promise you that you will get better-and you wont be like that for long, you just need to learn to control and rationalise your thoughts. al

Loose rivets
30th Sep 2004, 05:56
I think ground school is designed to cause this kind of problem.!! It's a lifetime ago now, but i clearly remember how bad i felt at the end of exams. But, it was just another battle to be won. There seemed to be a ministry of obstacles in those days, all focused on the written side of things. I had to treat this as just another test of character. You will have to find this strength in yourself, you are going to need it in your career, and you can't always turn for help.

In those days we took the ATPL after a few years flying, and by then i had three kids, flying the UK's latest jet and the bleak period just a memory.

Burned Off
30th Sep 2004, 12:05
Thanks ikea.

Loose Rivets, I totally agree with what you've said. I think in my case its not so much a cause as a something that is suffering as a result. I find it hard to concentrate on studies. I've never experienced this before and have perhaps always been a studious person - quite disciplined when it comes to study. But I've gone through some sort of change and i find it hard to see which direction i'm moving in. I feel like I'm clamberring over an assault course which is never ending, compounded by the feeling of making bad decisions. Interspersed with these are times when I feel on form and sharp. I just don't seem to be able to hold an even keele at the moment. Yes, my studies are suffering. I've kind of agreed to hold off until things improve - but when?

Loose rivets
1st Oct 2004, 05:22
Without knowing your personal details I can't be of much help, except to say that a lot of young people go through huge mood swings. The problem is when it tilts over a certain line that will affect your career prospects for years to come.

For a lot of people, life is one continuous assault course, while others seem to cruise along without a care, but you would probably be surprised at what most people go through ‘behind closed doors'. There is no right to a smooth passage, but perhaps the folk with troubles learn more on the way.

Battle against it for the moment, but if you really find that you can't cope, you will have to seek help. Your GP would usually be the first port of call.

Flyin'Dutch'
1st Oct 2004, 19:04
80% of people go through and episode in their life where they have all the signs and symptoms of a depression.

We all get symptoms of depression every now and then.

The nub is that they all last short periods of time and are selflimiting. Part and parcel of life.

However if these symptoms last longer and don't go away the realitiy is that people suffer from depression.

If you think you may suffer depression the best thing would be to go and see your healthcare professional who will initially have a chat with you ask the appropriate questions, would usually do some blood tests as some physical conditions mimmick depression, and discuss with you the possible diagnoses and where necessary appropriate treatment.

This can be medical or non medical treatment and quite often a combination of both.

Don't short change yourself, go and talk to someone who knows about these things.

FD

Burned Off
2nd Oct 2004, 13:14
Thanks,

I had a chat to a good friend about it yesterday. I think we agreed that the whole business of work, study, relationship problems have emotionally drained me. I still don't know why though! I've had lots to deal with in the past and never before have I faced this situation.

My biggest problem seems to be that i'm unable to envisage the future. I seem to have stagnated. I'm plodding on and i'm seeing my doctor next week.

Any ideas about how I should approach the whole subject? I'm worried i will blot my flying medical. I should have a sense of responsibility about this I know, but I fear that any counselling or such like will balls up my medical records.

Thanks all

Hawk
2nd Oct 2004, 13:46
Hello Burned Off. I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well lately. I'm not sure what your current aviation med cat is, or where you are from. However, in some parts of the world on a renewal, you would be required to tick a box that asks if you have sought psychological/psychiatric assistance. The signing of a disclosure allows the AME to request reports from your treating practioner.

VH-Cheer Up
2nd Oct 2004, 23:41
Burned-Off

It sounds like resolving the issue is foremost in your mind right now but you are worried about the consequences of getting help.

What about the consequences of not getting help? These are factors you need to weigh up.

I think most of the posts in the forum here in response to your initial query are sympathetic and supportive but in agreement that professional help would probably be the best course of action.

Getting help does not brand you as weak, or a "nutter".

If you want to only get help if there is no possibility of detrimentally affecting your medical certificate, ask yourself whether that is a good attitude for a professional pilot?

Suppose you had severe chest pains, or blackouts, would you keep those quiet to maintain your medical certificate?
Would you put your medical status above the safety of your passengers, crew and aircraft?

I think you will find you are able to see your GP and get a referral to a psychologist (not a psychiatrist!) for a discussions, or series of discussions, that will help reorientate your feelings. No medication, just help getting a perspective on things. Like a conversation with a friend, albeit one who understands the inner workings of the mind...

So long as that's as far as it goes, would anyone else need to know? I personally know pilots with far worse problems than that who keep it all under wraps. If they had only sought early help, they would probably be much happier, healthier people.

Think of it as a bit of a mental and emotional tune-up without invasive therapy or medication. When I went through something like this, I had about ten sessions with a psychologist who helped me understand why I had felt depressed over the loss of a family member over 25 years earlier. And helped me resolve the matter. But it involved taking the lid off ALL my feelings and talking about them. It was a cathartic, cleansing experience.

I'm glad I did it, and it hasn't impacted my medical status, and I think I'm probably a better person, and maybe a better pilot, for the experience.

Over to you - You have control.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers...

Gusty
3rd Oct 2004, 00:46
By reading what you posted, I realised that I had gone through the same situation but had kept it under the surface. When I try to think about it, my mind refuses to focus and appears to run away frantically trying to shut its eyes.

Then I faced it, grabbed the bull by the horns and went through a lot of pain to sort out my "life values" once again.

I learnt more about myself and those around me than I ever thought I would be able to, it was harder than anything else in my life, but I feel now I am much, much stronger than a cliche, phrase or passing comment from a stranger. I don't need to prop myself up anymore and pretend, such that I can finally be myself.

You will be stronger than you ever thought you could be, but face the beast and win that battle first! Nothing else matters more...