PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair - Liverpool to Milan

dwlpl
29th Sep 2004, 10:08
Ryanair are to start another new route from Liverpool.

The route, to Milan Bergamo, is the fourth ex LPL and will be flown daily from Feb 25th 2005.

Mouser
29th Sep 2004, 14:46
More good news for Liverpool, glad we've got the big boys in low-cost up this neck of the woods, can't wait to see which of the little fella's suffers up the road, not a good move by Jet2.

ManofMan
29th Sep 2004, 15:01
Not a good move by Jet 2?????, Im sure that the powers that be at Jet 2 had a bloody good look at whether things would work from Manchester, guess they should have really checked with you and started there service ex Liverpool. Im sure it could have handled the extra flights with its massive infrastructure it has in place.

Whilst Liverpool continues to serve the scouse rivera (Wales) and the Fylde coast, Manchester has a far bigger catchment area and can offer alternative flights should things go wrong. Dont forget the motorway and trains that come straight to the airport.

Jet 2 made a mistake!!!!, i dont think so.

This Charming Man
29th Sep 2004, 15:10
Hey Mouser !

Do I detect some sour grapes ?

TCM

brabazon
29th Sep 2004, 15:19
At one point weren't Ryanair going to base a number of aircraft at LPL? Instead they seem to be serving LPL from other bases - ok it's routes to/from LPL, but it's not quite the same commitment to the airport and its catchment workforce.

aeulad
29th Sep 2004, 15:32
I would expect the majority of the new Jet2 routes out of MAN to do very well.

Budapest - MAN has been crying out for a BUD flight since Malev left the scene some years ago. It was long expected that Malev would return to MAN, but this has not happened, and so Jet2 are stepping in. Like Prague, Budapest is becoming increasingly popular with city break travellers.

Nice - The only way to fly direct to Nice from MAN is with BA. They do offer so good fares, but these are in short supply, and so a low-cost option has been needed for some time. The route should do very well.

Geneva - With only BA on the route and the increased popularity in the winter ski season, the route is bound to do well, albeit with less demand in the summer. If the route is supported well in the winter, and established, most of this should continue in the summer.

Murcia - bmibaby offers a weekly departure. The majority of passengers travelling to MJV and the surrounding area are involved in overseas property, or golf enthusiasts. Jet2 will offer more flexibility than bmibaby, and this will appeal to this market segment. If LBA can support 9 weekly MJV flights next summer, then MAN sure as hell can!

Valencia - a recent 'find' by the low cost airlines, offering easier access to the Northern end of the Costa Blanca, flights to VLC from CVT, BRS etc are/will be on offer shortly, and so MAN seems an extremley appropriate addition to the list. Another success!

Venice - again, only BA competition on the route, a sure winner and a fantastic romantic break destination!

Pisa - and again, only BA competition on the route. With the tourist centres of Pisa and Florence nearby, is sure to do well.

Malaga - this is the only market which I feel is possibly being over subscribed. There are already twice daily Monarch flights, daily bmibaby flights, and a wealth of seat only offers from the traditional charter carriers. There is also word of GB Airways coming on the scene. Time will tell on this one, and Jet2 will have to fight hard to gain a decent market share. It is also worth pointing out that nearby LBA and LPL will have very frequent flights to AGP(LBA 3 a day!), this market must be approaching saturation!?!

Faro - competition from Monarch and the charters, but Jet2 should be ok, if they can undercut Monarch's fares. Again though, a pretty saturated market.

Seperately, there are still several markets not yet exploited from MAN that could be potential addittions for Jet2 in the future. With IB and WW pulling out of the BCN market, there is undoubtedly room for someone else to jump in. Almeria is up and coming, and there are currently no low cost flights from MAN to Madrid. Rome and Milan are other good examples, as is Naples, all with no low cost alternative, and Naples with no flights at all. The Adriatic Riviera resorts of Dubrovnik and Split are also growing in popularity.

So as you can see, Jet2 have seen a gap in the market, and are going to exploit it! Well done Jet2!

Regards

Mike

ezy733
29th Sep 2004, 16:28
Not a good move by Jet 2?????, I'm sure that the powers that be at Jet 2 had a bloody good look at whether things would work from Manchester, guess they should have really checked with you and started there service ex Liverpool. I'm sure it could have handled the extra flights with its massive infrastructure it has in place.
Two points :- point 1 Manchester is busy now lets see if jet2 can make its slot times
point 2 Ryanair has not finished with Liverpool yet!!! I wont let the cat out of the bag but the two new Liverpool routes are only the beginning can't say to much now but big surprises on the way;) ;)

dwlpl
29th Sep 2004, 17:22
I have not looked into the Jet2 competition in any great detail at MAN, but if 'aeulad' is correct in his summary its BA that should be concerned not any airline flying out of Liverpool.

ezy733 can you look in your PM.s.

sisyphus1965
29th Sep 2004, 20:13
Could BA be fighting back?
They are announcing new routes from MAN tomorrow with Budapest amongst the favourites. Franchise carrier GB Airways are rumoured to be looking at basing aircraft to operate to the usual favourites, Malaga, Alicante, etc.

The NW looks like it is becoming the new low fares battleground.
Who will be first to blink - Baby, BA, Jet2, Easyjet or Ryanair?

Vampy
29th Sep 2004, 20:46
ezy733, check pms :ok:

Mouser
29th Sep 2004, 20:51
No sour grapes, we are doing quite nicely thank you.

Pilot Pete
29th Sep 2004, 21:37
What doesn't seem to have been mentioned on this thread yet is the fact that MAPlc have been openly desparate to attract more low cost business to their airport. This can only mean that the likes of JET2 have been able to strike a 'favourable' deal to operate from the airport.

Perhaps not such a bad idea after all.........

PP

dwlpl
29th Sep 2004, 22:27
..... but will other airlines there that are paying higher charges be happy with the newcomers deals?

If they, the more established airlines, get a better deal fom MAPLC as a result, will not the cash flow into the coffers suffer and the company will have then a shortage of cash to spend on its building projects.

Mouser
30th Sep 2004, 07:39
It must have been a good back hander,for an airline with apparently a slick operation at LBA to plump for a congested airport.

This Charming Man
30th Sep 2004, 07:42

It must have been a good back hander,for an airline with apparently a slick operation at LBA to plump for a congested airport

unquote

Definatley sour grapes;)

ManofMan
30th Sep 2004, 07:53
Mouser,
If i were you i would be less worried about Jet 2 at Manchester and more worried about Ryanair starting more routes from one of your main catchment areas......Blackpool.

;)

Mouser
30th Sep 2004, 07:58
Girona, Rome, Milan.:D

jabird
30th Sep 2004, 08:11
GB Airways are announcing 5 new routes from MAN with a new base there, not BA mainline.

"The new services to Malaga in Spain and to Tenerife in the Canary Islands, Funchal in Madeira, Paphos in Cyprus and Malta will be operated by one Airbus A320 at Manchester increasing to three aircraft over the following two years.

From May 16, 2005, GB Airways will operate daily flights to Malaga, three weekly flights to Malta, two weekly flights to Paphos, a weekly flight to Funchal and a weekly flight to Tenerife (south)."