PDA

View Full Version : Living in Guyana

varigflier
29th Sep 2004, 01:53
Hey guys,

Does anybody know how is life in Guyana? Cost of living, things to do, places to go etc..... Any help will be appreciated.

con-pilot
30th Sep 2004, 15:29
All I can tell you is that I was in Georgetown once and if I had left a BIG briefcase full of $100.00 bills I would not have gone back for it, no way.

A side note on that trip is after I landed (B-727) we held on a taxiway for an US Air Force C-130 that had stopped as it was taxing out and we held for it for about 30 minutes. I later discovered that the President of Guyana had suffered a heart attack and the C-130 was taking him to Howard Air Force Base in Panama for treatment. Sadly shortly after takeoff the President died and there was a great deal of radio traffic to determine if the President was still in Guyana airspace when he died. However I must admit the people there were still very nice to us, it’s just a very depressing place.

Sorry I can't help you anymore than the above.

luisde8cd
1st Oct 2004, 16:30
I wouldnt recommend it. It is one of S. America poorest countries, I think it's the most undeveloped one. Many people from Guyana cross the border into Venezuela looking for a better life.

Panama Jack
1st Oct 2004, 17:27
Haven't been there, but just from my readings I understand that crime is a significant problem there.

GlueBall
2nd Oct 2004, 00:09
Strictly Third World. Georgetown's mostly a ghetto. Don't stroll too far from the hotel at night. Countryside's OK...if you don't mind sleeping under a mosquito net at a guesthouse/ranch. :ooh:

varigflier
2nd Oct 2004, 01:04
Wow. So nothing good about the country.:eek:
Thanks for the inputs guys.

PicMas
3rd Oct 2004, 15:12
Let me guess, that flight school? with the 200hr "observer" requirement? Is that where you are going?