PDA

View Full Version : H... H... Harmony

Left Coaster
28th Sep 2004, 18:23
From a great source: HARMONY Airways lets it's prez go. David Sylvester let go and Dr Ho in charge while new prez is searched for. Who's in charge at the moment? Seems the rudder has fallen off again. Heads up, they like to eat their dead...:oh:

lead zeppelin
28th Sep 2004, 22:36
Any news as to why?

bound_for_dubai
28th Sep 2004, 22:37
Whats your source? And what are you talking about?

Left Coaster
29th Sep 2004, 02:49
Just know that I know, (never reveal one's sources!) and if you have to ask what I'm talking about, you need to listen to what actually happens inside your field politically, keep your ears to the ground my young friend, it is essential to know who you actually work for. Aviation is not a friendly career choice these days, and it may be that way for a long while in fact.:E;)

Safety Guy
30th Sep 2004, 00:53
From another forum, stated by someone with good sources...

"Harmony has reportedly lost $60 million already this year"

That just might get you fired.

SG

bound_for_dubai
30th Sep 2004, 01:09
Wow that is serious cash for an airline with like less than 5 aircraft.

skyhawk1
30th Sep 2004, 06:33
They have 3 planes and it's more like $80 million. Most of that was due to their startup costs. They are doing not to bad if you don't count all that. However that's still a huge wad of cash they will probably never make back (or at least for a very long time).

Left Coaster
30th Sep 2004, 09:20
Yup, it is a lot, but consider that they bought the first 2 757's and that was a sizeable chunk of cash to gather up! Start up costs, are unreal, how about enough parts to keep those 3 in the air! The first year would be lean as far as recovering costs, and don't forget about insurance! Isn't oil over 50 US a tub? Add to that the govt tax...But where the numbers quoted here came from is a mystery guess. It's a private company and as such doesn't have to let anyone except the board know. These guesses have been out for a while but that's all they are. If it is that much and it was put on Slyvesters desk, it wasn't fair, he was only there for what? Maybe a year at the most? Gotta be some other reason. He is also an American so maybe it has some immigration law attached to it.
Cheers
LC

lead zeppelin
30th Sep 2004, 16:12
Are they planning to add any planes?

And, how are their load factors?

skyhawk1
30th Sep 2004, 17:50
They keep saying they will add planes - they need a lot more planes if they want to keep up their new scheduals. God help them if they have a serious mechanical (about 24 hours). And what about maintenance? If a heavy check comes up, which shouldn't take long the number of hours they are flying, then what?

Dr. Hoe has got about 5 different "expert analists" pulling him in 5 different directions. He wants bigger planes so he can go to asia. They are looking at everything (767, 7E7, 747, A340, 777) Each one of these "analists" recommends something different. At this rate I don't know when they will get other types, he should get at least a couple more 757's.

I don't know of actual numbers but by the number of people getting on and off the flights they look to be at least 70%.

bound_for_dubai
30th Sep 2004, 18:31
Wow 70% is not too good. I'm sure he'd fill up those seats to Asia. My guess is he might go with the 777-200ER. I can see two of those in the fleet

Left Coaster
1st Oct 2004, 04:07
Jeez, since when was 70% (AVERAGE) load factor "bad"? Take a look again at what most airlines want to carry, rule out the low cost types who heavily discount seats and you'll find that it's a good average. You need to bone up on the business side buddy. LC
PS: EK's average is lower than 70% in a lot of cases, and you still want to work there?:yuk:

Safety Guy
2nd Oct 2004, 12:39
Successful charter airlines (HMY is a charter airline) need load factors in the mid to high 80s to be profitable. Their margins are very tight, and often the last ten pax are where the profit lies. Sad but true.

Left Coaster
2nd Oct 2004, 13:03
Sorry...last I looked, HARMONY is a sched carrier, I've seen the licence. They also do charter, but so does everyone else. If the yields are right, money is made. Don't go categorising them as a (shudder) charter carrier, thay actually do fairly well at what they do, despite the internal misery with the senior management gang.:D