PDA

View Full Version : Working in the Bahamas

Prickie
28th Sep 2004, 10:22
I am a recently qualified fATPL and my girlfriend has been offered a job in the Bahamas. I currently work as an AOC pilot / flying instructor at a small aerodrome in the UK with circa 400 hours.

My problem is that I would love to work in the Bahamas (wouldn't anyone!!) but I am having real difficulty finding whether I would be able to work;

1) Independently on a visa that I try to obtain
2) As a dependent of my girlfriend

I can visit in December on a 3 week holiday (introducing myself to various organisations), but the Bahamian Embassy is really quite unhelpful in giving me any guidance.

Also it is my understanding that you can get away with a JAA licence but does obtaining an FAA open up more possibilities??

Advice would be really appreciated (and contacts !!!!).

Many thanks

Prickmeister

Arrowhead
26th Oct 2004, 18:20
I am a fATPL with 500 hours from the UK. I have also flown round the Bahamas a couple of times, and air taxi there would be my perfect job!

Commercial jobs are limited to Bahamasair, Laker (bust this week?), based locally for a US airline, and air taxi. Problem is that you are competing with the US pilot market where hours requirements tend to be a lot higher. Suggest you try to contact some of the FBOs for help. PM me if you want them (you will need to tell me which island).

>>---->

ps Nassau is okay, but has dodgy bits. Everywhere else is spectacular. Dont know where your girlfriend's job is - suspecy Nassau...

B Sousa
27th Oct 2004, 02:30
Dont Forget the Turks & Caicos Ilands are just a bit south. May be something there also.

Captain Stable
27th Oct 2004, 10:51
I suggest that in the first instance you contact the company that has offered to employ you.

You will probably need a work permit, and they will probably need to submit it on your behalf.

Going out there is a good idea - you can get a lot of answers by walking into offices than you can on the phone, by fax or email.