PDA

View Full Version : US Air Travel Clubs - 1960s and 1970s

1970s Spotter
28th Sep 2004, 09:29
Can anyone help out or point me in the right direction?

I am trying to gather information (Bases, Fleet, start and ceased ops, types operated) on as many as possible air travel clubs that were popular in the USA in the 60s and 70s. Companies such as Voyager 1000, Nomads, Denver Port of Call etc.

Is there a www. site that lists these carriers or can anyone help out with any detail???

THANKS

411A
29th Sep 2004, 02:49
If I recall correctly, the Ambassadors air travel club eventually became American Trans Air...ATA.

In 1974, was called by a club in Omaha Nebraska, the Cornhuskers air travel club, who wanted a Captain for their new (to them) B707.
When I told the owner how much salary I expected, could clearly hear the guy fall off the bar stool.

Oddly enough, thirty years later I heard the same sound when I received a call from an airline wanting Captains for the upcoming Hadj...thud...when I told 'em they would have to pay up front plus a confirmed ticket home.

Money talks...BS walks.

One of the most successful smaller air travel clubs was the Emerald Schlaylie Chowder and Marching Society, based in Virginia (I think) with three Lockheed Electras.
Used to see 'em a lot in the Caribbean, especially St Thomas.

WHBM
30th Sep 2004, 14:08
Emerald Schlaylie Chowder and Marching SocietyI believe it was the Emerald SHILLELAGH Chowder .... (Shillelagh [pronounced shi-lay-lee] being an Irish combined walking stick and weapon).

A DC7 here http://geta-o.maxs.jp/CIVIL/US/MDC/DC-7/n5050s(emerald)dc-7-0361.JPG

411A
1st Oct 2004, 01:00
Couldn't find it in the dictionary...so just made a stab at the spelling.
Guess you got the drift, WHBM.
Nice photo....even if it ain't an Electra.

DC7's went away when 115/145 disappeared...100 octane avgas just does not cut the mustard in these aircraft, as you have to operate in low blower only, and autorich, all the time, sucking up gas like a big Hoover.

WHBM
1st Oct 2004, 06:48
As far as I know there's still one commercial DC-7 operating from Florida as a freighter. Last saw it when I flew into Opa Locka a couple of years ago (alas in a PA-28, not in a DC-7 !). Operator must be an enthusiast as it's done in a very nice quasi-American Airlines 1950s colour scheme, polished metal with a red lightning flash.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/338176/M

Still on topic because DC7s were a favourite of travel clubs in the 1960s, relatively new but dumped by the major airlines when the jets came. In fact it was the cheap availability of such aircraft that led several of the travel clubs to start off in the first place.

EGAC
1st Oct 2004, 08:55
The Opa Locka DC-7 and one other is owned by this outfit:

http://www.legendaryairliners.com/main.php

I believe it was painted in the old American Airlines colours for an AA television commercial.

kala87
5th Oct 2004, 16:50
Some of the 1960's travel clubs operated Connies as well. I can recall ex-TWA Starliner N7301C operated by World Samplers Inc. I think it was based in Dallas, Tex. Of course much larger numbers of DC6's, DC7's and Connies found their way to charter companies in the 1960's and were common sights at UK airports that handled a lot of holiday charter traffic such as Gatwick, Luton and Manchester. My favourites were the Capitol and Nordair Super Connies. Oops, slightly off topic there....

WHBM
5th Oct 2004, 22:55
They weren't all holiday charters. Much of the US supplemental traffic at this time was actually for the US military in Europe and elsewhere.

The Nordair Connies were I believe also used on flights to Biafra in the late 1960s, flying over the war zone. They were humanitarian flights bringing relief supplies and food in, but there were also Connies operating on a darker mission bringing in arms for the rebels, and they all operated from the same bases. A character called Hank Wharton was like all the baddies in every Graham Green novel rolled into one, and the mastermind of such operations.

I think the Opa Locka-based American Airlines DC-7, and the Eastern-liveried Legendary Airlines DC-7 are 2 different aircraft with different operators, one still commercial, the other essentially a preservation society.

PaperTiger
5th Oct 2004, 23:22
I think the Opa Locka-based American Airlines DC-7, and the Eastern-liveried Legendary Airlines DC-7 are 2 different aircraft with different operators, one still commercial, the other essentially a preservation society.

Both owned by Carlos Gomez dba Legendary Airliners (http://www.legendaryairliners.com/history.php).