PDA

View Full Version : Wannabe Instructing Question (soz)...

mike papa delta
27th Sep 2004, 18:13
At which point in the (UK) process to getting an FI(R) rating do you commit to the type of helicopter that you can instruct on?

Is it possible, for example, to do your PPL(H) and CPL(H) and related hour-building on an R22 and then get a type rating on a Schweizer and do the FI(R) course on that? (Or vice versa?)

Could you even do all the flying on one type and then having got an FI(R) rating get a type rating to another machine and teach on that?

Thanks if anyone is generous/knowledgeable enough to answer...

27th Sep 2004, 18:28
You are probably best doing all of your training and FI course on one type though you don't have to. You can instruct on any type that you have on your licence (single pilot, single engine) as and when when you get additional ratings.

Whirlybird
27th Sep 2004, 18:42
You need 15 hours in the last year on any type that you're going to instruct on. However, I believe that's quite a recent ruling, and has been waived in individual cases.

I think it would be pretty tough to do the FI course on a type that you weren't very familiar with, but I don't think there's any particular rule about it.

mike papa delta
27th Sep 2004, 22:23
Cheers guys. As ever facts, advice and opinions all rolled into one...

Very useful...

Ta. :ok: