PDA

View Full Version : Emirates and Etihad interviews

Wildpig
27th Sep 2004, 15:53
I have interviews with both Emirates and Etihad in November. Can anyone give any advice/tips on the selection processes with each airline?

Thanks

Vagrant
28th Sep 2004, 06:06
When it rains, it pours...eh pig! Congrats on the interviews. I have first hand experience with one, and friends that have done the other, so here goes.

EK's process is a long one, that tries to get an overall picture of you, the person, as well as your leadership qualities and decision making abilities. There is not much focus on your technical knowledge, however it is probably wise to do some brushing up on things like Theory of Flight. The Sim is pretty straight forward, and again, is looking more at your mental focus and decision making, over your flying ability. If you do some research of previous posts on this site, you will see that the majority will advise you to just be yourself. I think that this is sound advice, as you will be caught out if you put on an act.

The feedback I've gotten on the Etihad process, is as follows. Fairly lengthy and detailed technical interview, mostly on the Airbus. The guys I've spoken to, have all left that part of the process feeling totally dejected, because the questions require almost an engineer's knowledge of the aircraft. If they are happy with you, you are invite to have a go at the Sim. From all accounts, it is pretty straight forward, but totally hand flown, with no flight guidance. Go figure. Anyhow, that's about it. They also let you know quite quickly whether or not you were successful.

I will not advise you one way or the other, but would advise that you take some time to stay a couple of extra days in both Dubai and Abu Dhabi to check out the important things, such as price/availability of schools, price of groceries, and general cost of living, and most importantly, whether your family will like it in either place. Remember, the airline will only be a small part of your existence here.

Make a holiday of it, enjoy the process, and best of luck to you. Hope this helps. V.

Uplink
28th Sep 2004, 14:19
Well done on both.

Remember this place is not for everyone. There is good advice here and some very jaundiced views. My advice is too come and see for yourself. They are both much of a much as far as jobs go. EK is obviously established and Etihad in its infancy. If you make it to either then the choice to take the job is down to you.

I have been in Dubai for sometime now and really enjoy it. The fact is your background and where where you live now can alter your opinion of whether you will like living in UAE or not. If you have had a good standard of living where you are, then this may be on a par or maybe not. The Southern hemisphere guys tend to have a good standard of living and may or may not find Dubai or Abu Dhabi restrictive. The Europeans find the transition a little easier.

As far as the interview goes. There is no great secret as to how to get in or not. They even write books on how to prepare for the Emirates interview. What a load of crap ! You have to be yourself (corny as it sounds) You are interviewed and assessed in minute detail. The exercises have no right or wrong answers, they only want to see if you can work with your fellow man.

Finally you have to want the job. I got into EK but would not have necessarily fitted into Cathay or Singapore. If you get as far as being offered the job then the decision is yours and your family's to make.

The previous reply said treat it as a small holiday. Thats good in a sense. Remember though to spend some time here prior to the interview to get a feel for the place. I spent 5 days and liked what I saw. I was absolutely shattered when I got home afterwards. I put 110% into the interview and if I hadnt got the job then I was not the man for it.

I guess this will spark caustic comments off from the pessimists now. Who cares thats just my opinion

Hey good luck and have fun

Wildpig
14th Oct 2004, 15:35
Vagrant and Uplink,

Sorry it has taken so long for me to reply.

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. The info was very insightful and was very much appreciated. Also very balanced which is a minor miracle on there pages!

Interview late November ... I'll let you know how it goes.

Wildpig:ok: