PDA

View Full Version : CD Writer Question

Maxflyer
27th Sep 2004, 11:54
I have a relatively new pc (18 months) that has a CD Combi-drive CD-R CD-RW and DVD.

I have burnt several cds, but now when I try, the software keeps telling me to put a disk in the drive when it's already there? I am using the same batch of disks, so that can't be the problem. I have tried burning usingb a slower speed and again the same issue. The DVD works fine and the drive can be read opk, but I just can't get the thing to burn disks now.

I have tried using NERO software and also the Windows Media Player.

Any advice / suggestions greatly received.

mazzy1026
27th Sep 2004, 12:42
Could be a hardware problem I think - perhaps try removing the drive and reinstalling it, see if that helps.

Maz

slj
27th Sep 2004, 14:28
maxflyer

Have you installed SP2?

Doing that caused my CD and DVD to stop writing. Uninstalling SP2 and restoring the data to a date before SP2 resolved the problem.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
29th Sep 2004, 03:08
Maxflyer,

It would really help if you gave us specs on your Hardware, OS, and Media you are using.

Take Care,

Richard

Maxflyer
29th Sep 2004, 08:26
Richard,

PC Spec:

2.10 Ghz AMD Athlon
512MB RAM
XP Pro OS
CD R/W DVD Combo
Using Nero and Win Media Player for burning
I've also tried with and without SP2

Thanks

slj
29th Sep 2004, 16:44
Maxflyer

Have you considered restoring the system to a point where you last recaLL the CD/DVD worked properly.

It did the trick for me.

BlueEagle
30th Sep 2004, 00:52
I have a similar problem, can do anything, more or less, using Creator 5 Basic but try to burn any other way and it tells me I haven't put a disk in.

WinXP Pro

Pentuim4

Windows media, real Player.

sky9
2nd Oct 2004, 20:20
I am having a similar problem with SP2 where I cannot write to a CD R using Microsoft software. I cannot find anything on the Microsoft website. Any thoughts; other than going restoring back to before SP2?

Maxflyer
2nd Oct 2004, 21:10
I tried with and without SP2 and got the same result. In the end I changed the CD/DVD combi for an older CD Writer I had. All worked fine, so it turned out to be a hardware fault after all. I think maybe a laser had given up!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
2nd Oct 2004, 22:43
Maxflyer,

When I asked for the specs, I meant all the hardware. Example which model, Vid Card, CDRW, Mobo, Sound Card, HD, etc. (Otherwise it makes it very hard to picture and research the hardware in your system.)

Have you tried different media? (Before we give up on the CDRW.)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. If you have another comp, try a test in that comp to make sure. (If it is dead, this would be a great time to get a Dual Layer DVD Burner.) :ok: