PDA

View Full Version : Glandular Fever/Mononucleosis

ornithopter
26th Sep 2004, 12:11
Hi Guys,

Am resting at home with suspected Glandular Fever (Infectious Mononucleosis) and have read a fair amount into it on places like Web MD and on previous posts in this forum.

My question, is how do I know when I am fit to go to work?

Since GF can develop into Chronic Fatigue, which is obviously bad for a commercial pilot, are there any work patterns I should try to avoid? (lets be honest, some of our rostered trips really do leave you knackered, esp trans atlantic).

There has been no positive blood test yet (its going through the machine now), but the symptoms are classic and my throat is worthy of a minor horror movie. On Penicillin right now as initially diagnosed as Tonsilitis. Advised to stay on it until we know for sure it is GF - think I have managed to avoid the classic rash, fingers crossed!

Also, I read in FCL 3 about viral infections and it said that cold sores (Herpes simplex) would render an applicant temporarily unfit as they are infectious. One of the pieces I read about GF said that you are mildly infectious for the rest of your life - this doesn't preclude flying does it? (FCL 3 does not mention GF, Mononucleosis or Epstein-Barr virus so I hope not.)

Regards,

Flyin'Dutch'
27th Sep 2004, 12:32
This is a 'childhood' disease and most folks will have had it as a child when it typically just gives a few days of a viral illness symptoms.

In adults the symptoms are worse but despite the many horror stories about Mononucleosis most people make a speedy and unremarkable recovery.

Some people are unfortunate and are slow to recover.

The 'typical' rash is usually caused by folks getting amoxycillin rather than Phenoxymethylpenicillin for the sore throat.

All the best, hope you are well soon.

ornithopter
29th Sep 2004, 14:11
Thanks FD. On the mend now, and have had it confirmed as GF. Hopefully back to work in a couple of weeks.

Regards,
O

2IC
3rd Oct 2004, 07:15
ornithopter - I'm not a medical person, but may I humbly suggest you take it really easy and don't hurry back to work. It is not unknown for GF sufferers to end up with Chronic Fatigue.

I am being careful not to say that pushing yourself too hard, or returning to work too soon might cause you to end up with CF, as I don't know the stats and am not a medico. However, I have known several self-motivated persons who were very pleased with their progress and were sure they were being careful, were ready to go back to work etc, but who ended up with CF. Once you have CF, the road back to good health is much harder, so if taking it easier and not returning to work too soon after GF may help avoid CF, it's worth backing off and slowing down.

I'll leave you to look up the stats, and check medical sites, or for the medicos who post here to give us their opinions.

I just hope you recover well and move on without any further problems.

Desert Nomad
3rd Oct 2004, 08:24
Take 2IC's advise and take it as slowly as possible. If you get back to work too soon it will come back to bite you.

I first got glandular fever in my early 20's and got it back again about a year and a half ago and it's not much fun. You will get bored out of your mind sitting around doing nothing but that really is the best thing for you.

GF is also known as the kissing disease so beware who you are kissing. It is highly contagious...