PDA

View Full Version : Slow Computer

J32/41
25th Sep 2004, 15:51
Just after a bit of advice guys I got quite a decent spec p.c built about 10 Months ago mainly for gaming and surfing the net, Its a AMD 2800+, 1Gb Ram, and the FX5900 Graphics Card. Over the past few weeks its been getting alot slower on the net and especially playing games as it sometimes stutters with lots of detail which it never did before and I have'nt adjusted the game settings. Any advice on what to do or buy to help this would be great.

Thanks

Mac the Knife
25th Sep 2004, 17:04
Don't want to be unkind, but have you looked at http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117136
- Guide for Eliminating Spyware, Adware, and Random Popups - because your symptoms are typical of infestation.

------------------------------------------------

"You are in a mazy of twisty little relative jumps, all alike."

SoftTop
25th Sep 2004, 17:18
Just another thought - if you're into gaming on line, did you ever download and install an in-game chat program called XFire?

We got rid of all the other cr*p off my son's PC and it still ran like it was submerged in treacle - i.e. it took ages to load stuff, but once loaded it seemed fine - except for internet where it was a good 50% slower than the other PC sitting alongside it on the same network.

We ran Hijack This! and discovered a load of similar files listed which didn't seem to relate to any other application on the PC. A bit of digging on Google identified them as XFire Files. We uninstalled it and then plodded through the registry deleting all other references to it and the dodgy filename.

Now runs like greased lightning.

Hope that helps

ST

Naples Air Center, Inc.
29th Sep 2004, 02:54
J32/41,

It sounds like you are loaded down with Malware. Follow the link Mac the Knife gave you, and when you have complete that, we will run additional utilities depending on what you found.

Take Care,

Richard