PDA

View Full Version : Adieu Caravelle

PaperTiger
25th Sep 2004, 15:40
As reported in the African forum, the last operational Sud Caravelle overshot and burned. There were no fatalities/injuries.

Another icon (first rear-engined jet) passes.

policepilot
25th Sep 2004, 18:38
PT
Check :Caravelle crash Goma 31/08/2004: Africa forum.

From the air, there's not much in it between the 2 strips, if you're unfamiliar with the area and the wx's dodgy. Easiest way is, if there are locals and goats on the runway, then it's Goma.
I saw 3D KIK in Kisangani on occation. The first time I was paying 'facilitation fees' to the 'officials' when it landed. We all came out to see her. Apart from standing next to a hovering Harrier, I can't think of anything louder. Lovely.
PP

cringe
25th Sep 2004, 18:53
Apparently all occupants escaped unhurt. A pic of the accident here:

http://www.monuc.org/PhotoWeek.aspx?photoID=102&lang=en

PaperTiger
25th Sep 2004, 23:27
Hmm that long ago, I didn't go back far enough obviously.

the shipment was entirely damaged by the fire
I bet :oh:

BEagle
26th Sep 2004, 08:06
Africa Wins Again........:(

Airways Ed
26th Sep 2004, 16:51
AFAIK, 3D-KIK was not the last operational Caravelle.

Waltair should still be flying one Super Caravelle out of Kinshasa; and possibly a Caravelle 11 R (like 3D-KIK) as well.

Seloco
27th Sep 2004, 15:49
I did notice when flying out of Bordeaux a couple of weeks ago that there was a Caravelle on the military apron alongside some C130s; anyone know whether this one is still airworthy (as opposed to the one in the middle of the airfield next to the Mercure which self-evidently is not...)?

Airways Ed
27th Sep 2004, 17:37
The one on the military ramp is the former Zero G Caravelle, and has recently been refurbished (but is unairworthy). It is owned by the local aviation museum (which also has the other one that is deteriorating).

There are a handful of potentially airworthy Caravelles in Europe, the most likely being the former SAS/Swedish air force example at Stockholm-Arlanda. The obstacle, as always, is money.