PDA

View Full Version : Arnhem Today

BMM389EC
25th Sep 2004, 04:58
Not sure if this is on the right forum- but I was wondering if anyone knows if there is much to see at Arnhem today in relation to Operation Market Garden in WW2?( Or in the near vicinity) I want to go and have a look and was wondering if anyone knew of any specific things which can still be seen/noticed today? Many thanks.

Spot 4
25th Sep 2004, 09:13
It has been a long time since I was there, but if you go, include this:

Overloon war museum (http://www.oorlogsmuseum-overloon.nl/uk/)

In your travels.

Chuck Ellsworth
25th Sep 2004, 17:31
I managed to see it from the air. :D

We flew six fly bys with the new Dutch Cat as part of the program and there sure were a lot of people on the ground.

Chuck

BeauMan
25th Sep 2004, 20:17
It's been a few years since I was last at Arnhem, but there is still plenty to see there.

The cemetary at Oosterbeek is a very moving place; Flt Lt David Lord VC is buried there alongside many other British and Polish soldiers and airmen.

Just down the road from Oosterbeek you'll find the Hartenstein Hotel, which was used as Maj Gen Urquhart's headquarters during Market Garden; the cellars have been restored as they would have been in September 1944, and the whole of the Hotel is now open to the public as a museum.

A few miles further south you have Nijmegen and Grave, which were liberated by the US Army on their drive north towards Arnhem.

I believe the Overloon Museum is over near Eindhoven, but it's not a long drive from the Arnhem area.

Plus of course, you have the Dutch themselves, who are a thoroughly wonderful bunch of people and well worth a visit. :) Hope that helps.

BMM389EC
26th Sep 2004, 01:32
Thanks guys,much appreciated. Not to sure of the distances. OK to hire a bicycle and cycle around or a bit far for that?

Pom Pax
26th Sep 2004, 04:36
The Dutch rail system is excellent, you can go from anywhere to everywhere else about once every 30 minutes and plenty of buses too. So bike only for local use. Reichswald Forest Cemetery is just over the border near Cleve (Ann of Cleeves) which whilst a beautiful and peaceful place but unfortunately seems to contain most of Bomber Command.

Flyin'Dutch'
27th Sep 2004, 12:25
All the destinations mentioned are very much worth a visit.

Funny that nobody mentioned the Liberation Museum in Groesbeek which is wholly dedicated to the operations at the latter end of the war in the area, including Market Garden.

Although most of the Netherlands is flat the distances involved would be a bit too large to cover by bike unless you want to spend a week and are fit. (When the weather is good there is no better way to get about an sample Dutch country life.

Whilst I would be the last to dispute that the Dutch are great (and of course handsome :D ) it is with sadness that I report that their attitude to small aviation is less than welcoming with heavy charges for using airfields during weekends. But let that not spoil the fun.

FD