PDA

View Full Version : Bali high demand for extra flights

Wirraway
24th Sep 2004, 19:10
Sat "Weekend Australian"

Bali high demand for extra flights
Steve Creedy, Aviation writer
September 25, 2004

MOVES by Qantas and Garuda Indonesia to ramp up capacity on the Perth-Bali route suggest the bombing of Australia's embassy in Jakarta has done little to dampen enthusiasm for the holiday isle.

Qantas announced yesterday it was pulling its mainline flights off the competitive route and replacing them with bigger Australian Airlines planes offering almost double the number of seats.

Garuda Indonesia is boosting by almost half again the number of Perth-Bali flights from October 1.

The full-service, all economy Australian, started as a low-cost operation in 2002, allows Qantas to operate on leisure routes which the mainline carrier finds uncompetitive.

Qantas mainline will continue flying one flight a week until February 1 to cope with summer demand.

Australian's arrival on December 2 marks the first Perth-based services by the carrier and will see twice-weekly mainline Boeing 737 flights replaced with Australian's bigger Boeing 767-300s.

The new service means Australian will operate seven flights a week between Australia and Bali, including three from Sydney and two from Melbourne. It brings the airline's total operations to more than 100 flights per week to 14 destinations in six countries.

However, Garuda will complement its existing daily service with three additional flights per week on peak travel days.

"The demand we are seeing is consistently so great that we simply have to add flights to keep up with both economy and premium executive class bookings," said West Australian sales manager Rob Moro.

There was more good news for airlines yesterday with new statistics showing international scheduled passenger traffic to and from Australia in June reached a record for the month of 1.47 million passengers, up 31.4 per cent on the previous year.

"June 2004 recorded the highest level of passenger traffic in a June month and continues the trend of record month-on-month traffic growth since November 2003," the Bureau of Transport & Regional Economics said.

The figures showed 49 scheduled international airlines serving Australia in June provided 2.23 million seats, an increase of 30.1 per cent on last year and up 23.5 per cent on June 2002.

Planes were also slightly fuller, with load factors increasing from 66.5 per cent last year to 67.1 per cent.

Qantas remained by far the dominant carrier, with 30.4 per cent of passenger carriage, but this had slipped 1.9 per cent on the previous year.

Singapore Airlines came second with 10.6 per cent (up 0.1 per cent,) followed by Air New Zealand with 7.6 per cent (down 2.2 per cent).

From early November, Singapore Airlines will operate a record 80 flights per week between Singapore and Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide.

Inbound freight traffic rose by 17.6 per cent, while outbound traffic dropped marginally by 0.4 per cent.

=========================================

blueloo
25th Sep 2004, 02:48
AIPA .....Transfer of business?

Having travelled on QF to Bali from Perth I can say the service and food was woeful......however having travelled on AA aswell, the service was only marginally better, and the food was utter rubbish.

So i guess the punters are only getting what they pay for.

The good news is that QF probably wont be flying internationally soon, because it cant make money - despite someones bonus's which say otherwise.

ohwell.

Eastwest Loco
27th Sep 2004, 09:52
I am not in the least amazed that Bali demand is back and going thru the roof. Mrs Loco and I are off there via SIN in a couple of weeks time, and really looking forward to it.

The good news is the wonderful Balinese Hindu population finally lost their happy thoughts with the Javanese (mostly followers of Islam) and stood on their dig and chased them home in masses.

If you havent been there, get there. Denpasar is a suburb of Perth, as it is a shorter and generally cheaper flight than to go to our east coast, and it is so cheap to live while you are there. Please do get to know the locals though. They are the most wonderful people.

Twelve days and it will be --------- Permissi - Satu Bitang besar terimah kasih - rumah dua tiga empat.

Bring it awn!!!!!!

Selamat sore

EWL

The Other Half
30th Sep 2004, 00:18
Date: September 28th, 2004
Source: The West Australian

Bali Lift In Australian Airlines Plan To Take Over From Qantas

More than 250 extra plane seats will be available to Perth travellers when Qantas-owned carrier Australian Airlines starts twice-weekly services to Bali from December.

The carrier will operate two services, on Thursday and Saturday afternoons from December 2.

The full-service airline will use Boeing 737-300 aircraft, with a capacity of 271 seats. Its Saturday service will replace Qantas' Saturday flights to Bali.

Qantas' Tuesday service will operate in conjunction with Australian Airlines' twice-weekly service until February 1 to cater for the peak holiday season.

But Qantas will then quit the Perth-Bali service, leaving it to Australian Airlines, Garuda Indonesia and Indonesian-owned Air Paradise.

Australian Airlines will provide 542 weekly seats from Perth to Bali, compared with 288 through Qantas.

The carrier has not released price or schedule details.

Australian Airlines chief executive Andrea Staines said it would be the first time the carrier flew in WA.

Garuda Indonesia WA sales manager Rob Moro welcomed the entry of Australian Airlines, saying there was enough demand for the extra seats.

But he would not speculate on any price wars.

Air Paradise International national manager Gary Hilt said the extra services would not have much effect as Australian Airlines was effectively only replacing Qantas' existing services.

Am I to assume that these QF flights will basically be re-labelled Australian Airlines? Does this mean these 73's will be soon wearing AO colours? Will these 73's be crewed by QF or AO staff?

Cheers :ok:

jb_flyer
30th Sep 2004, 00:22
The Other Half:

This is also being discussed on the Cabin Crew Forum, and an AO crew member shed light on how it looks like its going to work.

This is the post... (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146320)

JB

Agent86
30th Sep 2004, 00:25
The Other Half....

Not sure that I would like to travel on this.

Imagine a 737-300 with TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY ONE SEATS

Methinks should be a 767-300 (like AO already fly)

Ah ...I could comment on the quality of the reports in our media but why bother :(

MAx

Stick Pusher
30th Sep 2004, 01:49
Believe it is possible for people to travel with Skywest from Perth on it's once a week charter from Perth via PD if people are finding it hard to get there. (Up on SAT back SUN). Believe rates are just as good, full service and heaps more legroom, just got to stop via PD quickly, no big deal.

Cheers FF :ok:

SP

Keg
30th Sep 2004, 03:44
blueloo, PER-BLI was a given for AO since before AO took to the air. I recall a conversation with the AO CP about six months before their first take off and I suggested that QF wouldn't be doing ANY BLI services before too long. He was ambivalent at the time! Personally, I'm surprised it has taken them this long to do it!

Now, we still haven't started Phuket services which was my other prediction at the time! :( ;)

mid assist
1st Oct 2004, 23:17
Keg

i'm not sure if you know this yet, AO in conjunction with QF holidays are doing 6 charters to Phuket. They have already done 2 so far. Loads are very full. Planning on more charters in Easter holidays i think.

Eastwest Loco
2nd Oct 2004, 12:03
My inside goss relayed years ago that DPS would go Oz Air and that the next low yield route to go west would be HNL.

Maybe HNL is being delayed a little due to EK seeking a multi class foothold on the Pacific routes. HA and AC on the route may have further confused the master plan.

A QF sales dude once pompously told me that Aussies should feel priveleged that Qantas even serviced Bali at all as it was low yield.

Give me strength!!

Best all

EWL

smokestak
3rd Oct 2004, 00:01
Any thourghts on jet* operating through to Bali once they start flying into Perth.

Would seem to make a bit more sense.

And what about Virgin? Heard the other day they are about to announce a Perth base for crew. Surely they would be eyeing that market as well.

spinout
4th Oct 2004, 21:22
Just back from Bali….

Sydney to Darwin QF flight late only just made the connection to Bali

Bali to Singapore AO (AO direct flight to Sydney over booked….) 2 hours late and only just got on, apparently AO had to borrow a QF 767 as there one was broken and the QF one had less seats because configured in Business Class…

Singapore to Brisbane QF Just made it on as the QF flights to Sydney and Melbourne had already departed leaving behind lots of full fare pax who were connecting from the delayed AO flight from Bali…

Lots of Staff stuck in Singapore because of not enough seats on AO in and out of Bali…
:bored:

ftrplt
5th Oct 2004, 02:19
Spinout,

acft change to a QF jet was caused by an engine change rqt in OOL on an AO jet.

seat capacity goes from 271 down to 229