PDA

View Full Version : India - Conversion and Jobs

vikaero
24th Sep 2004, 19:04
Hello all..

ME = 4300 hours, 1050 PIC turbine ( 550 turboprop / 500 Jet ), 1800 multi, 750 night, 410 instrument. Currently flying Lear 35A as PIC.
TYPES = Lr-Jet, SA-227 Metroliner, B737 Type scheduled for July 2005.
LICENCES = FAA ATPL, Flight Instructor Multi, Instrument, Ground instructor = Advanced.
PASSPORT: Indian - living in america.

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:

1. Does anyone know of any ATPL prep service/school/individual offering classes in a condensed version in Delhi ?
2. The exact specifics of and how long it takes to get a first class medical in India
3. What are my chances of possibly getting hired by Air India, Indian Airlines/Alliance, Jet Airways, Air Deccan, Sahara or any other carrier in India.
4. Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply. Please dont reply if you need to let me know how bad things are in India etc... my reasons for going back are more than flying....as in family/parents.

Left Wing
25th Sep 2004, 10:21
http://dgca.nic.in/

As for conversion there are a few guys who pvt courses at home. Go to Delhi flying club and ask around. Medical will take 3-4 days but will have apply a month in advance, look at the web site and be ready for road to hell, trying to convert your FAA ATPL. Your chances of getting a job are damn good. All the best with your conversion you are gonna need it.

Vimd23
26th Sep 2004, 04:55
1.Yes , there are 3 or 4 people... Duggal , Seth and Jhala...I have the contact numbers for only one. Course costs including books roughly Inr15000/-- duration 3 months. My advise is go for the class, because FLT PLANNING requires practise , but for all other subject...by the books , Ground Studies for Pilots , 3 volumes , Radio Aids , General Nav & Instruments and Magnetism , sit a study hard and you will clear it. The ALTP papers , held once every three months. It's hard no doubt , they have numericals on anything and everything including , INS and Magnestism problems. Work out the problems from the above mentioned books and you will be preped as best you can. After you clear the written u have a viva , if you fail the viva , then you need to do the written again.

2.Have u done a medical in India before , if so you will have a file number given to you by the DGCA. If not you need to apply to the below mentioned for a file number :

The Director Of Operations,
Directorate Of Training and Licensing,
D.G.C.A, Technical Centre,
Opp.Safdarjung Airport,
Aurobindo Marg,
New Delhi – 110003.

At the same time write into either of the below req a date for either for an intial medical if you have never done one or a date for renewal of your class one medical if you have a file number and state the file number :

a)The President (Medical Board , Civil Aircrew)
Institute of Aerospace Medicine,Vimanpura,
Bangalore - 560017

OR

The President (Medical Board , Civil Aircrew)
A F C M E ,
Subroto Park, Dhaula Khuan , New Delhi - 110010.

3.Your chances are very very good , you need to get the license converted though.

4.Other advise , DONT expect things to work clock work like america.... this is INDIA , we have been left with the legacy of burecracy but our british brethren we the gave us freedom.

Cheers and best of luck
Vimd23

PS -- With so many hours , If I were you I would apply to SIA as they are looking for people.

a_320busdriver
27th Sep 2004, 16:30
Getting a job should not be a problem for you given your experience but if you don't have an indian licence in hand no one will look at you.
For the conversion you will need to do two written papers : Law and a composite paper that comprises of Flight Planning, Radio Navigation and Met. The flight planning will need practice and you can go to Seth in Delhi who is good and can get you prepared in a month's time if you speak to him. He will also help a lot with the registering for the exams and all the minor details connected with it.
If not you can also study for it yourself from the Underwood books. After you pass the written exams you also have a viva which is not a big deal.
Your medical is done in around 2 days time but it takes a while to get an appointment for it.
Also coming from America make sure that your log book and hours are verified. They love stamps and all things 'official' here otherwise they will make you run around.
Ofcourse it is India and so be prepared for things to take time. Sometimes it can be frustrating but things will definately get done. FAA conversions can be a tough but take things one at a time and work with the system, don't try to fight it!!!!
Good Luck and let me know if I can give you any more info

picollo
28th Sep 2004, 20:28
Vikaero pls check your private messages