PDA

View Full Version : Royals in the Forces - a nuisance or worse?

airborne_artist
24th Sep 2004, 16:28
So Harry is off to Sandhurst, and William is considering signing on, it is rumoured.

Is there room in the overstretched services for the younger Royals? Can they pull their weight, or are they there just to avoid the journos, attend mess functions and play polo on a salary?

Oggin Aviator
24th Sep 2004, 16:34
Which service is William considering?

Oggin

BEagle
24th Sep 2004, 16:51
Who is William considering servicing?

And will Harry be applying for a commission in the Life Guards...?:E

Eagle 270
24th Sep 2004, 16:56
And will Harry being applying for a commission in the Life Guards..

Harrys not posh enough and doesnt have enough 'blue blood' in him for the Life Guards!

BEagle
24th Sep 2004, 17:09
Despite the fact that a certain Maj J*m*s H*w*tt served in the Life Guards....

PPRuNe Pop
24th Sep 2004, 17:10
The story in the papers last week was>>>>>>>>the Welsh Guards. He'll be welcomed there! ;)

WorkingHard
24th Sep 2004, 19:21
Why the hell do they go through Sandhurst/Cranwell/ (can’t remember Navy - sorry guys) when there is no chance they are going to be rejected? Do they really think the services are so stupid as to accept they had proper and fair assessment? Who would dare to reject one of them? If Harry does well will he really be just one of the officers in the mess with all the duties and privileges just like the rest?

airborne_artist
24th Sep 2004, 20:29
Fatty York had to have extra tuition at Dartmouth to get through the pretty nominal seamanship exams. He'd already done EFT (on the quiet) on the Bulldog at Benson before he joined the RN, as it would have been embarrassing if he'd been chopped. By all accounts he is/was a natural pilot - but somewhat challenged upstairs.

BEagle
24th Sep 2004, 21:06
.....and Docklands Doris walked away from the RM. So no, I think that HH's success or otherwise in the Army actually will be on his own merit.

Yeah, right..............:E

mbga9pgf
24th Sep 2004, 21:26
Personally as a Royalist,I feel we have no right to question whether Royals have a place in the forces. It is in my view is their birthright. I serve their needs, as I swore I would. I serve Her Majesty the Queen first and government a far second.

Furthermore, If Prince Harry gets through Sandhurst, then hell yes, He deserves His place and the right to command; the fact that He is serving a relative should not come neither here nor there.

Mbga

twang
24th Sep 2004, 23:20
Yes, yes & please take my first born in tribute :yuk:

Scud-U-Like
25th Sep 2004, 00:30
Harry seems a decent enough person and should be given a fair shot at RMAS. Did he get through RCB on merit? We'll never know, so I suppose he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Surely Ed walking away from CTC would tend to prove the Royals don't get preferential treatment during military training, wouldn't it?

I suppose I'm a 'Royalist' too, but not a 13th Century one! They're a pretty odd lot, but marginally preferable to the alternatives.

BlueWolf
25th Sep 2004, 05:53
"Merit" as a criteria for selection is only a fairly recent phenomenon. As recently as a hundred years ago people were still buying commissions; and twice in the past century a great many have been compelled to serve, merit or no, whether they wanted to or not.

Some would argue, myself among them, that it is in fact nothing less than a young Prince's duty to serve in the military. That he wants to, is merit in itself.

Cut the boys some slack, and save comments until we see how they actually measure up.
They may surprise everyone.

Spot 4
25th Sep 2004, 09:25
"Andrew a borne pilot"

He is not, aviation is not in his blood, and he does not miss flying one iota. I know for it was he that told me.

I also know of a fast jet QFI that stated "I see that Andrew is a Sea King Captain"; that proves that if you throw enough time and money at any bloke in the street, you can make hime into a helicopter pilot.

Conversation continued and it would appear that Andrews desire was to drive SHAR, but he was not up to it.

jindabyne
25th Sep 2004, 09:33
Spot 4

Your friends should be wary of you.

soddim
25th Sep 2004, 10:46
Performing well in a demanding training course is difficult enough for most youngsters but to do so and cope with the high visibility of being a royal must be more difficult.

Why don't we wish them both well and be grateful that young men of all backgrounds still wish to join our forces.

MarkD
25th Sep 2004, 14:46
Well, if Harry joins the Welsh Guards, they are safe from being chopped in future cutbacks methinks. Surely the various branches should be touting for Royal business?

DuckDodgers
25th Sep 2004, 18:18
So he's following in the footsteps of his REAL father then eh? The scruffy little bugger needs to tidy himself up me thinks!

Flatus Veteranus
25th Sep 2004, 19:11
At least Harry's got a chin! ;)

JessTheDog
25th Sep 2004, 21:08
Harry says he wants to continue his mother's good works. Excellent...a willing volunteer for lots of secondary duties. Parade commander every time as well. Why can't he come to my service and unit?:ok:

the_flying_cop
25th Sep 2004, 21:51
erm i see the point, but

DONT THEY OWN THE ARMED SERVICES ?

Omark44
26th Sep 2004, 11:35
Well, I think that some of you are being a bit unreasonable! This is a young lad, (that is all he is), who comes from a broken home and has had to suffer the loss of his mother in a very high profile way when he was only about eleven years of age. Why do you think that an affluent background would in any way negate or change the effect that kind of loss might have on such a youngster?

Styron
27th Sep 2004, 18:35
I say, do you realise you have a spring onion attatched to your cap.
http://www.link2content.co.uk/leadimages/p28%20receiving.jpg

I like the cut of that man's gibb.
http://www.stripes.com/photoday/charles/images/charles01.jpg

and the blue medals 25 metres back stroke and the pink one's for highland dancing.
http://pco.teamhighgrove.com/DWF15-450884.jpg

Outgoing
30th Sep 2004, 09:50
As it happens the AAC held a day for the young Wales's a few years ago and they had the chance to fly a Lynx (someone's neck was feeling axe-proof that day!) and conduct a door gunning shoot. William was composed and competent, if somewhat nervous (it transpires he is not eligible for flying training anyway, for medical reasons). Harry, however, was a natural, able to fly with little prompting and hitting targets with the door gun that most door gunners would not have ashamed of - no mean feat, it's bloody hard!

All credit to them, good luck.

By the way, Edward resigned from the RM YO's course and was not chopped. The Comdt at the time, Col Mike Taffinder RM, was distraught, as he knew the feedback that would follow and the natural conceptions of the public. Therefore it is fair to say that it was a braver decision to sack it than to remain doing something that he did not see himself doing as a career.

As for the Hewitt remarks - slightly poor taste, Harry has more class than that buffoon, and dates a far better quality of bird. :mad:

steamchicken
30th Sep 2004, 10:12
I didn't know a vestigial tail and lack of chin were disqualifying conditions....

Wee Jock
30th Sep 2004, 20:11
Why has the Flt Lt in the first picture got a ladies' sanitary product in his hand? (Judging by the blue string....)

And I always thought the pink medals were for doing the hokey cokey.

:ok: :E :) ;) :p :O

FJJP
1st Oct 2004, 05:50
Outgoing - you are absolutely right. I apologise and removed post.

FJJP

teeteringhead
1st Oct 2004, 08:21
Must be poor colour balance in the picture Wee Jock . The Flt Lt had in fact just received a spring onion of his own from HRH at EGDX.

Tq Monster
9th Oct 2004, 20:48
I did hear that the Harry was pretty chuffed(or what ever the royals are when they are er..... er.... chuffed) on his day with the AAC and expressed an interest. He may have just been being polite of course, but you never know stranger things have gone to war. :cool:

Melchett01
10th Oct 2004, 19:22
Read in today's Express that Teflon Tone and his trusty side-kick Buffhoon are already getting a little worried that Harry might actually want to go and do a bit of soldiering when he finally gets to a Regt. Apparently, it wouldn't look very good if he made another bollocks call, and one of the nations more valuable pieces of property got off-ed in the desert.

I'd like to see them try and send him off to the AGC just to see what happens when they are reminded exactly who's armed forces they are. After all there is a precident - HRH insisted that Andrew went with his ship regardless of what it was doing, hence he ended up in the South Atlantic.

Anyway, from what I've heard, Prince Harry is fairly determined to make his own mind up about where he wants to go. Let's see Bliar spin himself out of this one.

BEagle
21st Oct 2004, 10:40
It seems that a certain prince has already begun his pre-employment training:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3762200.stm

The most expensive education in the land and all he can manage is a weak grade in Geography and another in Art.......

airborne_artist
21st Oct 2004, 10:47
So he'll be joining the Paras then?

Should bode well for the street of Aldershot on a Saturday night....

The most expensive education in the land and all he can manage is a weak grade in Geography

Nothing is more dangerous than an officer with a map - discuss.

BEagle
21st Oct 2004, 11:17
Art? Or pi$$ artistry?

I imagine one's grandmother will not be amused.....

woptb
21st Oct 2004, 13:28
Many decades ago emotionally disturbed young men, 'many with special educational needs', were welcomed into certain regiments in the army (the Pioneer Corp being foremost).
It looks like this 'admirable' practice has been reinstigated, well done MOD !.

althenick
21st Oct 2004, 15:44
Nothing is more dangerous than an officer with a map - discuss.

...Pre falklands it used to be a Sailor with a gun:D

joe2812
21st Oct 2004, 16:31
Out of interest, will Harry under-go the same training and be subject to the same discipline as the others in his 'class' ?

Can't see the Army failing him now can you? Saying that, daddy could always pull strings.

Also, would he go in at the bottom on completion of RMA ? Or does the HRH give him some sort of accelerated promotion?

Flatus Veteranus
21st Oct 2004, 18:14
I suppose it is possible that "Gran" might be a little concerned about the possible outcome of a DNA test to establish Harry's position in the line of sucession to the throne of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha. A posting to the "sharp end" , considering his evident rashness, might not be inconvenient? ;)

Melchett01
21st Oct 2004, 18:25
The most expensive education in the land and all he can manage is a weak grade in Geography and another in Art.......

Come on Beags old boy, be fair. It was.t HRH's fault that his art teacher's wasn't particularly sparkling...... a decline in teaching standards per chance?? ;)

Joe - as for daddy pulling strings, I thought he was persona non grata in the Regiment these days:E

buoy15
22nd Oct 2004, 00:50
Some of you may recall the perfect response from an instructor at BFT Cranditz when asked how his student was progressing.
"Rather well Sir, for a Wg Cdr who will be the next King of England!"

Love Many, Trust a few, Always paddle your own canoe!.

moggiee
22nd Oct 2004, 10:35
I wouldn't fancy being an Army photographer when Harry Hewitt gets to Sandhurst.

As for "doing some soldiering" - his uncle Andy did his bit in the Falklands, after all.

by joe2812: Also, would he go in at the bottom on completion of RMA ?
Is that sort of over familiarity permitted in the Army these days?

Low Ball
22nd Oct 2004, 16:30
Most of todays papers feature H getting in a spot of fisticuffs with the photographic nasties. Maybe there will need to be some aggression control training at RMAS!

I think P Company might well be just the place to get in the practice to floor the papparazzi - I thought that shoving the camera into the face of the photographer is a cunning move.

Low Ball

ZH875
24th Oct 2004, 14:51
Harry should have no problems passing the Army Officer's course. It has recently been passed by a vicar. Mind you, the vicar is a GRANDMOTHER. Maybe his Uncle Edward should have another go at the military.:rolleyes:

Unwell_Raptor
24th Oct 2004, 15:25
What a load of small minded weasels are on here. If young not-especially-bright Royal officers are a problem, they are certainly not a new one, as the 'problem' goes back hundreds of years.

Give the guy a break, get him into the Army and let him prove what he can do. His subsequent postings can surely make allowance for his assessed strengths and weaknesses.

ZH875
24th Oct 2004, 16:21
Give the guy a break, get him into the Army and let him prove what he can do. His subsequent postings can surely make allowance for his assessed strengths and weaknesses.

Don't you mean "Give the guy a break, get him into the Army and let him prove what he can do. His subsequent promotions can surely make allowance for his assessed strengths and weaknesses.

Maple 01
24th Oct 2004, 18:56
Lets see, a dope-head that cheated in his exams and committed assault - just the kind of leadership we need:rolleyes:

Chances of a Chav from a sink-estate being offered a commission with a similar track reccord?

Frosty Hoar
24th Oct 2004, 21:45
Is he not taking the place of someone more deserving,if indeed he did cheat his way in and is then unjustifiably fast tracked?
Twas always thus I guess.....:hmm:

airborne_artist
13th Jan 2005, 08:01
He's already enjoying dressing up in uniform:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40716000/jpg/_40716791_sun203ok.jpg

BEagle
13th Jan 2005, 08:22
Probably just one of the Duke of Windsor's old uniforms......

HH really does seem to be going off the rails rather - and a spell of old-fashioned army training would seem to be what's needed!

Helibloke
13th Jan 2005, 09:30
Maybe with his very average academic results and his recent behaviour, I would think there would be many other better qualified potential officers out there. Perhaps he should consider a couple of years in the ranks!!!!

hyd3failure
13th Jan 2005, 10:12
He'd fit right in, in the Navy...we'll have him. Although if he turns out to be like his Uncle, Docklands Doris, then maybe he would be better in the RAF.

Lee Jung
13th Jan 2005, 10:14
If only he'd just gone to the party naked, he'd be at Lympstone and well on the way to a green beret by now.....

Pilgrim101
13th Jan 2005, 11:20
Bit like his Dad then .....?

Hyd3 - The Royal Regiment of Regulators are coming for you; so far they know your aircraft has three hydraulic pumps and you live in Somerset and you are in the Navy. Run ! :}

effortless
13th Jan 2005, 11:42
Went to a party on Coltishall in the sixties and there were 2 SS uniforms there. Have things really changed that much?

I saw his granpa RHS in a Whirwind a couple of times in the fifties. Anyone know if he was any good?

hyd3failure
13th Jan 2005, 11:47
Can you really remember what people were wearing during a party at Coltishall in the 1960's.....Jeeeez, I can't even remember the party I went to last week !!!!!!1

airborne_artist
13th Jan 2005, 12:21
Effortless,

If you can remember the 60's then you weren't there....

effortless
13th Jan 2005, 14:04
If you can remember the 60's then you weren't there..

Oh I remember the sixties all right. That was when everybody else was getting sex, drugs and rock and roll. :{ I also remember the fifties, bloody boring. :zzz:

BEagle
14th Jan 2005, 08:42
Indeed! Most people that the 60s were all sex and drugs and rock 'n roll. Not so! The weird hippies didn't start until the 'Summer of Love', man, which was 1967, like OK? You dig? Before then it was pretty staid - the Mods and Rockers used to beat eachother up and I think that there were things called 'purple hearts' used by some. But all that LSD, cannabis crap came along in the mid to late 60s, although it was very rare outside large cities.

Harry-the-Hun Hewitt was a stupid pratt to dress up like a Nazi. And has said so. Little toe rag needs a good attitude adjustment - and to realise that no, he isn't the same as any other 20 year old! There are some things which the spare-to-the-heir simply should NOT do!

Gainesy
14th Jan 2005, 09:12
One would think that one of his coterie of advisors, PR people and personal bodyguards would have said "Not a good idea Ginge".

ukatco_535
14th Jan 2005, 09:36
He was at a PRIVATE party, wearing a joke uniform. All this commotion is over the top. It was probably not the best idea he has ever had, but having spent a number of years in the Mob I know that worse goes on behind closed doors.

The cries about him being insensitive in the run up to the 60th anniversary of the holocaust are a bit stupid as well - does it infer that if it had been the 59th anniversary it would have not been so bad?

He is a young lad, who needs to grow up.... Sandhurst will accelerate this process, as it, and Crabwell and Dartmouth have done with countless other young men and women over the year. He may not be a 'natural' leader, but how many of us were before going through the training? And how many of us are still lacking in real leadership qualities despite the training? He has passed the board, let him in and see how he does.

I am personally not a great fan of royals in the Forces - having known what Prince Andrew was, and is, still like, but they are all individuals and should be given a chance if they meet the criteria - as Edward proved, passing is not automatic, and fair play to the fella, he had the balls big enough to admit he was not up to it, depsite the fact he knew that it would be extensively covered in the press, by ignorant people who have never served before.

Navaleye
14th Jan 2005, 10:44
Speaking as someone who wore a Luftwaffe uniform to a particularly good BoB party at North Weald 20+ years ago, all I can say is "Who gives a t*ss what he wore". It was a private function, give him a break.

soddim
14th Jan 2005, 11:09
Must be a good time for a rousing performance of 'The Flag' at tonights' Happy Hour.

Wonder if Harry knows the words?

hyd3failure
14th Jan 2005, 11:34
I am personally not a great fan of royals in the Forces - having known what Prince Andrew was, and is, still like

I must be missing something. I served on 2 squadrons with H and although no one can deny he was academically challenged, he was a natural "poler" and liked by all. Squadron Dinners were generally a laugh with H around. I also went on a few detachments with him and he always joined in with the boys, worked hard and played hard.
The europeans loved him 2.

I was at a bar in Denmark with him one evening when a girl came up to me and whispered in my ear, "We all love your Prince Edward" Laugh, I spilt my drink.

Flatus Veteranus
14th Jan 2005, 11:58
Harry has become the target of a disgraceful, international media feeding-frenzy. It is astounding how quickly the plight of the millions around the Indian Ocean has been driven off the front pages, even of self-styled “quality” newspapers, by the antics of a gilded, stupid and ill-educated youth. (Eton ranked 195th in the league-table of examination results published yesterday).

He needs a good hard kick up the bum from someone and should have had one years ago. His father does not seem to be up to it. I doubt whether either the RN or the RAF would have accepted either his academic results or his “OQs”. He appears thick enough for Sandurst, but ought to be “straightened out” in the ranks before being considered for a commission. Perhaps two years at Deepcut Barracks might do the trick. :bored:

MLS-12D
14th Jan 2005, 13:24
What a load of small minded weasels are on here. If young not-especially-bright Royal officers are a problem, they are certainly not a new one, as the 'problem' goes back hundreds of years.This is hardly a compelling argument. It is rather like saying "anti-Semitism has a long and distinguished history".

Maybe with his very average academic results and his recent behaviour, I would think there would be many other better qualified potential officers out there. Perhaps he should consider a couple of years in the ranksExactly right.

The fact that the prospect of service as a private soldier (for which is obviously much better suited) is essentially unthinkable just shows how archaic the monarchy is. :yuk:

Why don't we wish them both well and be grateful that young men of all backgrounds still wish to join our forces.Because "young men of all backgrounds" are obviously not treated equally by the British armed forces. If and when Harry chooses to voluntarily renounce his title, special perks, and place in the line of succession to the throne (http://www.throneout.com/best_of.asp), then - and only then - will he be worthy of respect.

I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

He was at a PRIVATE party, wearing a joke uniform. I believe that most meetings of the Klu Klux Klan are private functions, too.

Flik Roll
14th Jan 2005, 13:27
You can buy a hitler/Nazi outfit from many fancy dress shops....why the big fuss?

FJJP
14th Jan 2005, 13:29
He's immature and surprisingly unaware. He should know better - that every media hound worldwide is just waiting for the scoop that will cause major front page headlines.

His entourage of advisers need a swift and painful kick up the backside for allowing him to do it.

And if it was my party, I would have found the toerag who took the photo and flogged it to the gutter press and banned him or her from future events. And I would ensure all my friends did as well. Party guests should ensure discretion to avoid embarrassing fellow guests and the hosts.

No doubt it will continue to be milked for everything editors think it is worth. Pity his efforts to assist the Red Cross in packing up stuff for the disaster appeal didn't attract the same world-wide coverage - but then that wouldn't sell newspapers, would it?

MLS-12D
14th Jan 2005, 13:42
His entourage of advisers need a swift and painful kick up the backside for allowing him to do it.Harry dressed up like a Nazi. Not the advisers.

Whilst I appreciate that the concept of accepting personal responsibility is entirely foreign to the moronic members of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, the blame should not be shifted off to the entourage.

And if it was my party, I would have found the toerag who took the photo and flogged it to the gutter press and banned him or her from future events.And if it was my party, the photo would have been of me ejecting Mr. Nazi at the toe of my boot. Again, stop pointing the finger at other people, and start focusing on who was really at fault in this matter.

Speaking as someone who wore a Luftwaffe uniform to a particularly good BoB party at North Weald 20+ years ago, all I can say is "Who gives a t*ss what he wore".Your own judgment and taste are questionable; but in any case, I note that you didn't dress up as a Gestapo officer (and obviously we all know why). And you are (presumably) a private person, not a member of the Royal Family to whom we have all sworn allegiance.

Hundreds of thousands of Commonwealth servicemen died in WWII. And now a Royal prat unthinkingly honours the fascist legacy of his great-great-uncle (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2074100.stm). This is no joking matter.

BEagle
14th Jan 2005, 13:52
I think that the record at the Covert Oxonian Aerodrome was 4 Hitlers at one Oktoberfest......

But none were princes.

There is a BIG difference!

FJJP
14th Jan 2005, 15:05
MLS, my intention was not to shift the blame from the individual - as I said, he should have known better and been more aware. No doubt he will have had a pointed and one-sided chat with Dad, Grampa, or Grandma. I was merely pointing out that there are others who contributed to the debacle...

MLS-12D
14th Jan 2005, 15:34
I was merely pointing out that there are others who contributed to the debacle...At the risk of hair-splitting: his advisors allowed the debacle, they didn't contribute to it. I.e., their passive responsibility is, IMHO, much less than his active responsibility. That said, I do appreciate and acknowledge that you didn't suggest that Harry was himself blameless.

It is tempting to think that because Harry is young, his repeated acts of poor judgment should be excused. But he is now 20:
old enough to vote
old enough to drink
old enough to serve in the army
old enough to enter into binding contracts
old enough to know better

He is not a little boy anymore.

FJJP
14th Jan 2005, 16:06
MLS - couldn't agree with you more...

Tourist
14th Jan 2005, 16:22
Just like to point out :-
1. That he never asked to be a royal.

2. Is there statute of limitations on dressing up as genocidal nutters, or are the various Gengis Khans, Napoleans, Ceasars etc who appear at military fancy dress parties also in incredible poor taste.

3. He never intended anyone who actually survived the Nazis to ever see and be offended by his costume, he was at a private party. It was the press who offended everyone.

4. And anyway, get off your high horses you grumpy tw@ts
Personally, considering his family background I think it just possibly shows quite an ironic sense of humour.:D

SirToppamHat
14th Jan 2005, 16:47
Hey guys, I've just been sent a v.funny (but obviously faked) picture of our hero, but have no means of hosting it. Anyone help me out?

STH

MLS-12D
14th Jan 2005, 17:05
he never asked to be a royal.True; but he chooses to remain one. Although he can't change his birth, he does have the option of renouncing his birthright (which was the option offered to Princess Margaret in 1955 ... sadly, she choose money and royal perks over true love).

Is there statute of limitations on dressing up as genocidal nutters, or are the various Gengis Khans, Napoleans, Ceasars etc who appear at military fancy dress parties also in incredible poor taste.I don't know what the answer is; but I'd suggest that at least 100 years should pass before one decides to impersonate a maniac responsible for the deaths of millions of people, including many British subjects.

He never intended anyone who actually survived the Nazis to ever see and be offended by his costume.I have no idea what his intention was. Neither do you. And neither, I suspect, does he.

If he came forward and offered a sincere public apology, that would go a long way towards clearing the air. We all make mistakes (usually not as stupid as this, but still ...), and most people are pretty willing to forgive them if you demonstrate that you have learned from the experience and feel genuine remorse.

It was the press who offended everyone.The press published accurate information. The offensive nature of that information was not the fault of the photographer, or the editor. Nothing was invented or misrepresented, and the press is not to blame.

it just possibly shows quite an ironic sense of humourSome sense of humour. :hmm: What about some Jewish jokes ... a laugh a minute, right? I think not. :(

Navaleye
14th Jan 2005, 18:11
I take it then that TV progs like 'Allo 'Allo should be banned and we shouldn't have a laugh at the past while still taking it seriously. Lighten up, this PC thing has gone too far. Harry is entitled to wear whatever he likes at private parties. It may have been a "bad taste" party in which case he was properly attired.

Just got the digitally re-mastered Battle of Britain film on DVD. Pizza ordered and wine in fridge. Good night.

Tourist
14th Jan 2005, 20:22
MLS-12D

Stick it up your @rse!
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/smiley24_shades.gif

MightyGem
14th Jan 2005, 21:02
Hey guys, I've just been sent a v.funny (but obviously faked) picture of our hero, but have no means of hosting it. Anyone help me out?

Register with
http://photobucket.com/
then upload your piccie and post a link.

airborne_artist
14th Jan 2005, 21:03
A clearly faked, and hopefully less offensive picture of our hero (http://www.flynavy.flyer.co.uk/princeharry.jpg)

Lionel Lion
15th Jan 2005, 07:51
AA........I probably shouldn't laugh. But that is very funny!!

:E

Roland Pulfrew
15th Jan 2005, 09:45
Apart from the gutter press and MLS who actually gives a t0ss? There are a lot more important things to worry about than what some yoof wears to a BAD TASTE party.:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

opso
15th Jan 2005, 18:36
The press published accurate information ... and the press is not to blame.

It's not often you read comments like that on this site! Whenever the newspapers print some utter tosh on something we may know a bit about (helo dets in the mountains, aid rotting in 'RAF' hangars whilst we bicker with DFID, FJ dets to Spain etc) we point out just how inaccurate, sensationalist and irresponsible the media can be. Now that they write about an event that none of us were at, we have people believing whatever they read. :rolleyes:

I was interested to note that the same paper that put the grossly inaccurate report about the standby C130s yesterday (which it lifted almost verbatim from the previous day's Western Daily Press) managed in the same edition to get 5 pages of outraged coverage on the basis of this single photograph from a party they were not invited to. Now that's a good example of creative writing! Knowing how well the media report facts about us, I don't believe anything I read other than the date on the front page. And I always get an independent verification of that!

MightyGem
15th Jan 2005, 18:59
And then we have the Commandant of Sandhurst, in today's Mail, feeling that he has to apologise for a photo, taken many years ago, of a bunch of officer cadets in various WW2 german uniforms at the annual fancy dress party.

Wingswinger
16th Jan 2005, 10:09
You know where this is leading, folks. The PC nutters are going to ban "The Merchant of Venice". Quite right too. Our Will is so very obviously a dead white male, probably Anglo-Saxon and an elitist as well as being anti-semitic.

Volmet South
16th Jan 2005, 11:43
Good job he didn't go dressed as a Roman soldier... those guys nailed Jesus to a cross and the italians have never apologised :*

Vortex what...ouch!
16th Jan 2005, 23:21
MLS-12D you're going to burst a blood vessel if you don't calm down and realise that this whole thing means absolutely nothing. The sun will still come up tomorrow and nobody died because of it. Get a life.

ukatco_535
17th Jan 2005, 10:06
MLS 12D

you quote that the KKK was also a private function - I think you are stretching it in the extreme to link the two... I assume that you are taken in by all that the gutter press prints and that you get on your high horse over many little matters.

People who state views like yourself are as small minded as Prince Harry is.

BEagle
17th Jan 2005, 10:52
Good job that the gutter press have never heard of 'bad taste' parties...

They really wouldn't have liked the one where the chap in a KKK outfit with pointy hood turned up with his black mate on the end of a chain!

I gather Harry-the-Hun is having fun mucking out the organic pigs at Highgrove this weekend!

Zoom
17th Jan 2005, 13:49
Harry was wrong but I think that he has probably paid the price for his folly by now. And he has only another 60 or 70 years to go of this photo being regurgigated by the press, etc on every convenient occasion.

Revolted as I am by the activities at the concentration camps 60 years ago and with respect to the victims therein, the first thing I think of when I see a swastika is not the Holocaust but the exceedingly efficient, impressive and frightening military power that was Hitler's Germany. (The murder of 6 million Jews was horrifying but, to my mind, not as horrifying as the prospect of world domination by Germany and Japan. It is likely that this was the case with most people living in the rest of the world at that time, particularly as so few of them were even aware of what was happening in the concentration camps.) Perhaps Harry feels the same way and it had just not occurred to him that his outfit would cause such offense. Remember, his mum was not Mrs Brain of Britain and his dad was seldom at home, so neither of them would have done much to improve his knowledge and understanding of world history. (And, with the turmoil in current school syllabi, maybe his history lessons at Eton didn't cover the matter very thoroughly either.) So perhaps he regards the Holocaust merely as an historical event rather than as a tragic and defining moment in another nation's history. That was how I saw it 4 decades ago and it was only my and my peers' ghoulish interest in the activities at German and Japanese PoW camps that spurred my interest in this area at all. It took many years, maybe a couple of decades, before I could begin to understand the anguish that is felt even now by the Jews. Nowadays my revulsion is natural; perhaps Harry hasn't got there yet.

MLS-12D
17th Jan 2005, 18:17
Thanks to all the oh-so-thoughtful intellectuals who made the unprovoked personal attacks. :confused:

No doubt by your standards I'm just a stupid, jumped-up colonial who doesn't know my place (typically, the theme of Our Hero's party was "colonial and native"). Thank God the Empire is no more. :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Louts like you give all Brits a bad name. Why don't you run off and lick some American boots now, there's a good fellow ...

Zoom
17th Jan 2005, 20:45
'Unprovoked', MLS? Hardly. You've slagged off the Royal Family a number of times in this thread and that's provocation enough for many readers. And 'louts'? Was that addressed to all of us or just the ones you've crossed swords with here? I think you should read Vortex's post again, and then go to bed and get a good night's sleep.

MLS-12D
17th Jan 2005, 20:56
No, my characterization was not addressed to everyone at large; just those who attacked me. Like I said, people like that give all Brits a bad name; but I am well aware that the great majority are decent, friendly people.

If people are keen to ignore the moral and intellectual bankruptcy of the Royal Family, that is their right. But I don't see this as an excuse for personal attacks. To those who say "you started it by attacking the Royals", I reply: "I am not a public figure. And I don't ponce around pretending that I am better than anyone else".

Thanks for your advice. :zzz: Mine to you is: watch the scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, where King Arthur attacks the "bloody peasant" ... it pretty much says it all right there.

Vortex what...ouch!
17th Jan 2005, 23:24
My first post wasn't a personal attack just a pointer for you to reflect a bit.

However this one is - you're a cnut.:ok:

MLS-12D
18th Jan 2005, 00:29
Well, there we go. Your post tells me everything I need to know about you. :bored:

hyd3failure
18th Jan 2005, 07:06
Hmmm.. this thread has degenerated into a slanging match and has clearly lost its way.

It seems a shame that comments such as that from Vortex have to bring this site into disrepute. I'm not sure whereabouts he comes from or what he does for a living (don't know if I believe his profile) But I would just like to have my say and that I think anyone who uses that sort of language clearly doesn't have a good grasp of basic English.

Training Risky
18th Jan 2005, 13:08
Hyd3failure, you're right about Vortex's grasp of basic English.

He may be dyslexic, or just can't spell...

He got the 'n' and the 'u' the wrong way round, because MLS is most definitely the corrected version.

We have enough ill-informed, half-assed opinons on here without the bl**dy colonials thinking they can pipe up whenever they want to!

Pitching up to a Remembrance Day ceremony in that rig is totally different to what HRH actually DID do: private party with private guests (one of whom chose to make a quick buck with a tabloid's help.) I tend not to believe anything printed by a rag with a bright red bar at the top which is there to gain the short attentions of the knuckle-draggers and raving socialists that read them. (But I look at the tits sometimes when nobody's looking.)

When are we going to see the banning of costumes already mentioned. (Napoleon, etc.) The suggestion that there should be some cut-off point for depravity committed more than 100 years ago is just as distasteful as the acts themselves!!

Again: Private party = no big deal.

But Nu Labour incompetence & corruption, 100 000+ deaths in Asia? = a much bigger deal.

An Teallach
18th Jan 2005, 15:30
Perhaps Vortex meant Cnut Sveinsson, C10th king of Denmark and England and alludes to MLS12D's attempts to stand against the tide of those of us who believe there are better things to worry about than whether a 20 year old laddie wears a swastika to a party.

crossbow
18th Jan 2005, 16:50
But Nu Labour incompetence & corruption, 100 000+ deaths in Asia? = a much bigger deal

Do you think that the government were responsible for 100,00+ deaths in Asia? Do yopu think that Mr Coward would have done anything differntly? Well yes he would?

Archimedes
18th Jan 2005, 17:06
I read it as TR meaning New Labour incompetence and corruption and 100,000+ deaths in Asia as being two distinct events, both of rather more importance than Harry's unwise dress sense.

Training Risky
18th Jan 2005, 18:44
You are correct Archimedes.

Maybe I should have used a semi-colon to separate the two separate events. (Now whose grammar is poor!)

PS: Re-reading my previous post - it comes across as a tad harsh... Sorry Vortex, I didn't mean to call you dyslexic.)

Lee Jung
18th Jan 2005, 18:52
Don't mention the war!

At least we don't need Prince Harry to be an ambassador for the UK anymore. Not with such great statesmen as John Prescott.

Will Prince H, John Cleese and Mel Brookes be joining S.Milosevic on trial in the Hague now?

Or is the public pillory provided by the Sun, Mirror et al enough?

Pontius Navigator
18th Jan 2005, 19:47
Flatus Veteranus look at your pm re your 21 Oct post.