PDA

View Full Version : Singapore PC Purchase - what stores??

Ray Darr
24th Sep 2004, 12:07
I am still debating on doing this, but likely on one of my next trips to Singapore, I plan to buy either a fully assembled custom-ordered "super-duper" PC, or all the components for one and build it myself.

Are there any specific stores and contacts in Singapore that anyone here has had first-hand experience dealing with that they can recommend?

Thanks in advance,
~ R.D.

Ray Darr
25th Sep 2004, 18:48
Thank-you, Biscuit, for your input. I will check out all the places you mentioned.

Any other suggestions from others "in the know"?

Cheers,
~R.D.

wub
26th Sep 2004, 16:26
The Sim Lim Centre on Rochor Canal Road is similar to Funan IT Mall and has five floors of electronics shops where components for systems can be had. You'll probably need to get a taxi if yoy are staying in CBD but asking for Sim Lim will get you there, it's not far. Bargaining is rife so beware that you get good prices if you go there.

drauk
28th Sep 2004, 10:32
If you are normally based in the UK (or even more so if the US) and are doing it to save money I wouldn't bother. You might save a small amount but with the hassle of getting it back here (assuming you don't even pay the import duty), the hassle of returns if it has a problem, etc. I can't see that it is worth it.

If you really want to do it then double check precisely how much the same spec would cost you at home and then take that info with you to the Funan Mall.

webby
28th Sep 2004, 16:08
check the prices at Sim Lim at this website http://www.hardwarezone.com

NZLeardriver
29th Sep 2004, 01:15
Try Paris Silk in Holland Village, about 5 minute taxi from Orchard Road.
Havnt been there for a few years but used to get all our tvs, stereos, cameras etc there.
If you know what you want and they dont have it, they will get it for you within 24 hours, and guarantee that it is cheaper than anywhere else you have seen it.

Ray Darr
29th Sep 2004, 09:44
Thank-you very much, everyone, for the input. I will keep checking here for the next couple of weeks and let you know how it goes in SIN once I have returned.

Cheers!

~ R.D.

daw
29th Sep 2004, 09:51
Having checked out a sample of the prices on the weblink above I can't see any savings from shrewd buying in the UK. Check out websites like ebuyer and novatech for the various components to make your super duper all singing all dancing pc. You can buy carcasses as well complete with case, psu, mobo, processor and RAM and use that as a base to add on all the bells and whistles you require. Just check out ebay for deals on those, far to many to mention. I really wouldn't bother with the hassle of buying overseas and then trying to pack it into my bags.

Ray Darr
29th Sep 2004, 12:09
Thanks for the advice on where not to buy.

As there has been a few postings here on "why buy there?!" I should clarify that I am after where in Singapore to buy, as I: 1) do not live in the UK anymore, 2) do not live in North America anymore, 3) my company does daily flights to SIN, 4) BKK, KUL and HKG are far too full of dubious vendors.

Looking forward to SIN...mostly to see the Eagles in concert (finally!) but also to check out all the places you are suggesting.

Cheers,
R.D.