PDA

View Full Version : Single pilot checklist - Yes or No

2beers
24th Sep 2004, 11:55
Hi all!

In a multicrew machine, using a checklist is perfect due to the complexity of the machine and the use of challenge-response. But in the simpler helicopters where all you essentially have to do is check for full & free movement and then get the thing overhead turning properly before flying, do you really need a checklist? And if you do need one, do you also need one when you do the preflight, since there are roughly the same number of things to check?

I think that when flying regularly, having a good flow around the cockpit is actually safer than using the checklist since the risk of using it without looking at it is greater the more you fly.

So what do all you experienced everyday flying guys do?
How complex does the machine have to be before everyday use is necessary or how simple does it have to be for you to not use it?

/2Beers

Kalif
24th Sep 2004, 13:07
My own view is that checklists are invaluable.
Just because you are single pilot does not equate to flying a "simple type". S76 is a single pilot type but far from simple. As355 although could be argued is simpler, the time taken to create some form of check list will pay dividends when things are not going your way.

Devil 49
24th Sep 2004, 13:17
Every machine, even the simplest, has items that must be configured properly for conditions. Every one has flown, or attempted to fly with them incorrectly set.

The things you'd thing a pilot with a pulse couldn't miss, have been missed. The simplest and most reliable means of insuring it doesn't happen is a checklist.

407 Driver
24th Sep 2004, 13:19
On 212 Single pilot VFR Skiing or Slinging Ops, we never use a checklist. We use the "flow' through the cockpit, and it works. The crews are experiened though, minimum 5,000 hrs, average nearer 10,000, lots of guys into the high 'teens.

Shawn Coyle
24th Sep 2004, 14:01
Things get missed with checklists available as well. Good cockpit design is a key ingredient that is often not considered.
Two related stories-
1) When the US Naval Test Pilot School took 3 HH-65s onto their fleet in the late 1980s, we had to make up a checklist for this machine that had been in service with the US Coast Guard for a number of years. We asked where the USCG checklists were and were told- why do you want the pilot looking at a checklist when he's the one who's supposed to be flying the airplane? The normal procedures are straightforward, and the critical emergencies are all memorized. The non-critical ones are easy to sort out and we don't think you need a checklist.
2) Going for a flight in the OH-58D with an instructor pilot on the machine. As we approached the helicopter, he handed me the checklist and said- read the pre-flight checklist to me while I do it. This was for a machine that you could see all the fluid levels from the ground, and not much else needed checking.
I prefer the memorized method for anything that is not too complex (I think I'd draw the line at nearly anything that is IFR equipped due to the additional systems), and also a cockpit that is well designed - all the switches are up, all the lights are out and the off flags retracted, lets go flying.

SASless
24th Sep 2004, 17:26
Now Shawn...are you saying the Army could over complicate a rather simple task?

If you get hung up on checklists...and quit thinking....problems occur. Thinking is the key to safe flight....

I prefer the flow pattern for simple machines....much safer ...all you have to do is move your pinky one item down the list and you will have missed it.

Also..the flow pattern is a visual thing...combined with "finger memory"...and can be verbalized as well.

Fatigue
24th Sep 2004, 17:58
I actually learned to fly doing the pre-flight, post flight, and all the cockpit checks from memory, and I find that I had a better understanding of why we do certain checks,when they need to be done and once you are proficient in that type I never missed any checks, unlike my students who have to do EVERYTHING from the checklist and cannot think outside of that realm when flying...if I took their checklist away they wouldn't know what to look for on pre-flight or what to do before/cruise/after landing as they are not having to think on their own....
Now when operating complex or two crew machines they are valuable aids when flying...
Fatigue.

muffin
24th Sep 2004, 19:41
During training I always used a checklist as that is what I was taught to do. In my very early solo hours what I found the most confusing was when something happened half way through the sequence and I found it very hard to work out what to do from the check list.

For example, once part way through the start up sequence on an R22, I had the rotors running and was waiting for the clutch light to go out as the belts tensioned. Somebody came over to the a/c and motioned me that they wanted to ask me something. Being helpful, I took the revs right down so they could open the door and talk to me. That done, the person walked away. For the life of me I could not work out what to do next. Should I just increase the revs to where I was before, should I disengage the clutch, should I go into the shut down sequence and start over again?, if so, at what point?

Help, Instructor, where are you in my hour of need?

It took me ages to work out what the consequence of my actions would be before I made the wrong decision.

This is why I think that a deeper understanding of what you are doing and why you are doing it is possibly better than just following a printed list blindly without thinking about it.

pilotwolf
24th Sep 2004, 20:40
As mentioned in a previous thread I think checklists are a good idea BUT if single pilot then only if you can 'afford' to be hands off and then only if it's something that can't be learnt 110%.

I always use checklist for pre-start/start and will use it for preflight too if not flown type recently... covering my backside maybe? I have made my own, laminated for the types I fly, based on the manufactures' checklist/POH but in a more logical manner for the preflight to save jumping in and out of cockpit and from side to side.

But if you have an in flight emergency in single pilot helicopter I think you should/must KNOW instinctively what to do - its enough fun trying to map read/navigate etc in something like the R22, wouldn't want to try using an emergency step by step list.

I don't fly anything complex so maybe its different for a more stable or twin machine?

PW

Arm out the window
24th Sep 2004, 23:15
For not-too-complex machines, give me a memory checklist every time. A logical 'flow' around the cockpit for prestart checks, and a remembered sequence for pre-takeoff and landing vital actions etc.
Written checklists can certainly be distracting when you're trying to fly as well, and it's too easy to miss checks by jumping to the wrong place on the list after you've had to look away and then back again.
One good aid to memory checks is a few good mnemonics; eg, a simple one we used to use for 'rejoin' checks in fixed wing trainers was "Hate My F'in Instructor' (Hatches/Harness, Mixture, Fuel, Instruments); or CLEAROF for navigation (Compasses, Log, Engine, Altimeter, Radios, Oxygen, Fuel).

Some checklists you get from approved flight manuals seem to miss out some important stuff - for example, the Bell 206 Before Takeoff checklist doesn't mention fuel, or hatches and harness for example. Instead of the flight manual one, I use a memory list that goes:
Hatches
Harness
Heaters
Electrics - switches, CBs, loadmeter
Caution Panel
Fuel - quantity, pressure, selector
Ts and Ps normal
Full throttle, 100%
Floats
Frictions
Flight Instruments

Works for me anyhow...

Buitenzorg
24th Sep 2004, 23:30
Like almost all posters here, I very much prefer a logical flow through the cockpit, working from memory. Mnemonics have also worked wonderfully for me when doing checks while airborne. I have found, in a fomiliar machine, a printed checklist usually more of a distraction than an aid. I still used it though - used it to fan myself before the a/c could be switched on if I had one. That way, I followed the letter of the law which says checklists will be used, but not HOW they will be used.

However, if one flies multiple types, or your company has no standard cockpit layout for one type, a checklist for each specific aircraft can save a lot of heartburn.

Ascend Charlie
24th Sep 2004, 23:42
Arm out the Window:

You must have learned at the same school as me! That Huey checklist has worked for me in every chopper I have flown since then, even a single-pilot S76.

Sure, use the checklist until you have proven that you have it skun. Your instructor will confirm you haven't missed anything. ("Try tickling Mary's poor f***y because she is having ....".oh, that Winjeel checklist!)

A flow check, a learned Vital Actions list, and an available emergency checklist seem to do a good job.

But it still hasn't stopped me from starting a 206 with the blade tied down or with the fuel valve off - interrupted checks can be very embarassing.:\

Auto Relight
25th Sep 2004, 14:19
The thing to remember with checklists is: Who wrote it and what is the purpose behind it. Normal proceedures, emergency, or abnormal pro.

Having flown single pilot IFR, VFR and multi-crew IFR in FW as well as helicopters, my personal opinion is that any "normal" checklist should be commited to memory and turned into a "flow" type check. This is for two reasons. First, we are all creatures of habit, forming a PROPER flow and running through the steps each and every time assures that items will not be missed. Two, keeping your head up is very important whether VFR or IFR, having it down reading a checklist especially when single pilot is inviting trouble.

The only checklists that I feel should be read are the "abnormal proceedures" checklists in more complex a/c. Note I did not say "emergency" checklists, because those should be commited to memory.(I'm not refering to the jets here) Not only does this make for more efficient cockpit proceedures, it ensures that they are repeatable. I don't know how many times I've watched someone, including myself, read a checklist and miss one or two items - the flow prevents this, especially when fatiged.

Even single pilot IFR, maybe especially single pilot IFR, one should have a system in place where from engine start to landing there is a repeatable system for flying the a/c, cockpit set-up, clearances etc.

My two cents.

AR

SASless
26th Sep 2004, 04:28
The good thing about a flow pattern....is when interrupted...one merely starts over...as for starting a Bell product....if the blade is not at 3-9 o'clock so you can see both ends of the blades....you are heading for disaster. Imagine the delight of seeing that bit of bright red metal and ribbon with those cute little sand bag thingies whirling around in front of you.....knowing they are headed for the tail rotor!

Some self imposed rules....learned the hard way over the years...always take a walk all the way around the thing...pointing at things that need attention prior to flight...(latches, seat belts hanging out, tie-downs....pitot tube covers...blade tie-downs...). Never leave a tie down in any position besides tied down or secured someplace out of the way. Always....always....chock a wheeled aircraft unless you can find a convenient hole to put your wheels in...then chock it anyway. Never leave your fuel handler alone to do the fueling....he might be having it away with your Missus and want you out of the picture. Always owe your Engineer a bit of money or drinks or something of value. Wear an expensive watch....and remind Ops that should you go missing...."Finders-Keepers" is the rule.

Captain Dink Hyphen-Smyth has the best advice yet heard....always be on time for work and never argue with the Chief Pilot.:ok:

Reefdog
26th Sep 2004, 06:31
hey sasless

here's another learnt from a bloke in Oz and he tells his pilots this from day one....

If you are late for a flight,SLOW DOWN...your late already so short cuts wont help you..

Arm out the window
26th Sep 2004, 08:22
Ascend Charlie, certainly sounds like we went to the same place!
The Squirrel checklist used by the RAAF and then Army went very much the same, based on the Huey one, and I've just adapted it to the 206 now.
Didn't have the pleasure of Winjeeling around, but funnily enough most of the mnemonics I make up are based around rudeness, can't think why!
Also when making up pretend traffic for students on navexes, I got a good deal of childish pleasure out of making the callsigns spell some kind of swear word...must think about growing up one of these days I guess.

alouette
26th Sep 2004, 08:48
Just let me add to the fire. It is highly important to use a checklist-regardless if it is a one "idiot" cockpit or a multi "idiot" cockpit. Because one shall not forget the the we humans make errors. A pre take-off/pre landing checklist is applicable to whatever aircraft you fly. If one follows these checks you assure yourself not having missed a possibly unexplicable low rotor rpm, exceeding temp scales and the like. Bottomline, it might save your royal behind some day. :ok:

SASless
26th Sep 2004, 16:30
While sitting in the back seat of Flight Sims for a couple of years...I learned a couple of things....no...actually...a lot of things...by watching others.

Those that are slaves to written checklists or procedures that are carved into stone....kill themselves with great frequency. Those that are "thinkers" ....pilots that will think "outside the box" rarely do so. Actually, I describe those that maintain true accurate "Situational Awareness" survive....those that lose sight of the "real" situation became organ donor candidates.

Anyone that hollers for the "checklist" immediately upon sighting amber or red lights....what we called the "Dipped Shoulder Syndrome".....rarely did well. Those that leaned back....hunched over....or sat like like a statue and uttered words akin to "What the heck? .....or 'Ere, whats this then?....or "What have you done now, Bloggs?" seemed to be on track for handling the problem.

Two examples.....Highly paid corporate crew....flew both jets and helicopters...all equipped with the best money could buy. Sim training in both types every six months....guys who flew in the Northeast thus very...very proficient pilots. ILS approach....to minimums....until they forgot to brief the Missed Approach...because right in the middle of their checklist ATC created a distraction (Me)...as a result of that omission...missed approach become a certainty (I knew...they did not)....when nothing seen, PF hit the Go Around button on the collective...announced his going around...called for the Missed Approach checklist....of course....PF and PNF were not prepared for the missed approach....during the confusion....PF failed to pull up on the collective (three axis autopilot only) and shortly thereafter...while the two were discussing what the missed approach procedure was....the autopilot disconnected...and they lost control of the aircraft at low altitude and no airspeed.

Other example....two BHL TRE's....VFR...circuits....all the standard callouts, briefs one after another.....ugly response to the Sim Instructor...(not me) about how BHL knew very well what they were doing and did not need any American Sim Instructor suggesting they did not.....whereupon exactly by BHL procedure and exactly as briefed....the PF following the BHL procedure to the letter.....crashed following a high side governor failure that did not respond to throttle that occured just as he came to a hover at landing. He followed the procedure exactly as printed...landed from a hover...set upon the ground completely confused on what to do after he had rolled the throttle off and nothing changed. He then learned that one procedure might not cover all possibilities.

They took their training elsewhere and use their own instructors now.....wonder why?

If you are not "thinking" you are making a grave error.

212man
26th Sep 2004, 17:17
SASless,
I seem to recall that the required action was to contain the Nr, if airborne (by pulling collective pitch), then revert to manual GOV once under control, or IF ON THE GROUND, to completely close the thottles (past the stops, as N1 GOV failures do not respond to throttle). I don't see how the crew you describe could be construed as following "the checklist" (I always thought hovering was being airborne!). Either way, it is an immediate action that does not require reference to a checklist.

But hey, let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.......

PS. I think the training moved elsewhere for other reasons, actually!

Shawn Coyle
27th Sep 2004, 16:10
I am reminded of the warning in the front of one manual -(and I'm not making this up)
Only the procedures in this manual are authorized.

I know of at least one FW aircraft that doesn't have a procedure for an emergency that has happened several times, and which if incorrectly diagnosed will lead to a departure from controlled flight.

212man
27th Sep 2004, 22:16
I'm reminded of the FSI emergency checklist for the 212: avoidance action for collision:

Use controls to avoid collision
Once collision avoided, revert to normal flight path

(or words very similar to that effect)

Who's doing the thinking now?

SASless
28th Sep 2004, 03:44
212Man....

Is it permissible nowadays to use the phrase "Standard Brief" or must one regurgitate verbatim (...and in infinitum...) all the checks and briefs when doing circuits?

I used to love the Airstrip-Terminal leg at Eket....an autioneer could not spit the verbage out fast enough to cope with the three minute leg and the four checks, two radio calls and one brief required....but then I do have a slow Southern drawl.

The other thing that puzzled me was the use of a silent checklist by the Dornier crews....and the old style call and challenge method of the helicopter crews.....and all in the same country and company. I guess the long leg lengths the helicopter pilots flew prevented the use of silent checks.

212man
28th Sep 2004, 10:30
SASless,
if you were to look at our 155 checklist you would see that most of the points you make are addressed. That's the advantage of being the person who writes it rather than having to use someone elses