PDA

View Full Version : Ice inside aircraft

Kapella
24th Sep 2004, 11:47
Can anybody tell me if ice on the inside of the aircraft is a hazard? Noticed some beneath the window panel on a recent flight and water dripping on my head from panel above as we descended.

Also noticed dried water tracks around panel joints so obviously happened before.

wrenchbender
24th Sep 2004, 12:58
What kind of aircraft was it? Yes, it can be a hazard. I have experienced water dripping from overhead panels, it indicates water condensation caused by improper air circulation. Water in the wrong places can cause problems when it encounters electrical circuts.

Sometimes, if there is a water leak down lower in the ship, it will accumulate in the very bottom of the hull below the cargo compartment. When the aircraft is at cruise altitude, it will then freeze. Now that it has become ice, it will stay in this state for a long time, and can cause center-of-gravity problems for the pilot. Water (or ice) is quite heavy.

Kapella
24th Sep 2004, 13:42
It was a 737. Your message confirms what I had thought. I did go to the galley to inform one of the hostesses who then asked to be shown the ice. I said the reason I bothered to get out of my seat rather than call her down was because I didn't want to upset other passengers!

Will contact the airline and copy correspondence to CAA.

Thanks

wrenchbender
24th Sep 2004, 14:50
Any time. The reason I asked what type of aircraft is that we have had similar problems at my airline with the Canadair RJ.

WJman
25th Sep 2004, 12:05
The term I was taught on an MD-80 course is "rain in the plain". It's pretty common if the a/c is not monitored on high humidity days. If it get's away from you, you will end up with condensation, water dripping from everywhere. At altitude the water closest to fuselage usually freezes. Hope this helps.

bustitagain
25th Sep 2004, 14:15
It is extremely common on all types of 737 to get condensation dripping from the overhead psu's. It is not an indication of a problem at all, but a constant regular occurrence and nuisance during the summer and days of high humidity. I have spent many an hour checking for possible air con leaks to no avail! I have now succumbed to the theory that it is just another one of billy boeings crap designs!

Blacksheep
29th Sep 2004, 05:08
Cabin condensation is a problem on all aircraft, especially airliners full of warm sweaty, air-breathing cargo. The condensation is the basis for the common corrosion problems in the crown and belly areas that pays for many of us engineers mortgages. So, don't be a spoilsport, we need corrosion, and the more the better. We do keep an eye on it. Honest.

accat13
30th Sep 2004, 22:14
wrenchbender "Any time. The reason I asked what type of aircraft is that we have had similar problems at my airline with the Canadair RJ." Yes the joy of removing the overhead bins and insulation to let the a/c dry out...Makes for a lovely night....

wrenchbender
2nd Oct 2004, 08:40
As Blacksheep says, it does pay the mortgage.