PDA

View Full Version : Positive/Negative Impact of Long range Aircrafts towards Major Asian Airlines

irevesmic
24th Sep 2004, 08:39
I 'm doing a research of the above topic.We know that some major Asian airlines are getting those long range planes like 777 200 LR and A340 500s.. The positive impacts are probably easy to point out.
What are the negative impacts those airline will face if they use these planes for their operations?

Hope anyone can share ideas on this..thanks much!

akerosid
24th Sep 2004, 17:26
One issue which occurs to me is the airline's concern for the health of its staff. Although most Asian carriers have been operating -400s for many years and even before that, have been operating t/p flights nonstop, the new breed of ultra long flight stretches human endurance even further; crewing a 17-18 hour flight must have different demands from those of a 12-14 hour flight and not just in terms of time. Do these airlines recognise the potential dangers.

It might not just be time; for example, the new SIA LAX/EWR-SIN flights are almost completely overnight - i.e. a 17 hour flight in darkness. This may also have an effect on performance.

I mention the airline's concern, because if there are serious concerns, how do staff bring these to the airline's attention, particularly if they're not unionised and inidividual complaints may be "discouraged".