PDA

View Full Version : DVD Player help?

tony draper
23rd Sep 2004, 17:05
Chap has given Drapes a internal DVD Drive he says it worked ok in one of his machine but not in the main one he uses all the time, the thing is pretty annonyouse, no makers name ect, just says DVD CD WR CD,and no driver disk, anyway clagged it into the Draper home made prooning machine and BIOS has recognised it as a Toshiba DVD player, do I need to download driver software for this specific DVD drive or is there general purpose DVD software?.
Not interested in playing DVD particularly but would like to get the CD writer working,it is happily playing a audio cd as I type this
Thank you in advance for any advice.
:rolleyes:
PS Am running windows 98 on a dual pentium 500 at the mo, only one cpu being used, tiz me spare machine the Draper superputer,,having failed its MOT.

mikedurward
23rd Sep 2004, 17:22
Hiya Tony

you should not need any drivers for the DVD CDRW. All you need is something like NERO or Creative cd to burn CDs

Mike

tony draper
23rd Sep 2004, 18:47
Surely I will need some kind of utility to play DVDs? I cannot play audio CDs with out the Audio utility I downloaded.
I bought a CD burner a while back that came with Nero,it worked fine as a cd reader or audio cd player, but as soon as I tried to burn anything I got the blue screen of death, this is apparently a known fault with win 98 not the burner, there is a fix but MS led me a wild goose chase through a thousand Microsoft websites and I still could not find the fix.
There is a DVD disk in the drive but if I click on the drive icon I just get two folders shown, one DVD tother Audio with no apparent way of playing same.
So how does one go about getting a DVD to play?
Thanks again for the help.
:uhoh:

mikedurward
23rd Sep 2004, 18:59
Hi Tony

Sorry :uhoh:

You will need something like WINDVD or your windows media player should work to play films

Mike

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd Sep 2004, 22:16
tony draper,

If you want to watch DVDs on your comp, I would recommend:

Cyberlink's PowerDVD 5 (http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/products/product_main.jsp?ProdId=28)

You might have some problems playing DVDs on that old PIII though.

It might be time to upgrade to something from this century to really get the full enjoyment out of DVDs on a PC.

Comps now can software decode a DVD without skipping frames and play back in Dolby Digital AC-3 for the full Home Theater effect.

Here are the System Requirements for PowerDVD 5:

System Requirements
Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 98SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP

Processor: Intel Pentium II 350MHz* or above, or any Athlon processor

* To enable audio effects such as Dolby Headphone, Dolby Virtual Speaker, SRS TruSurround XT, CLMEI™, and Dolby Pro Logic II decoder, or to play DVD titles with DTS digital surround tracks, it is recommended to use a 400MHz or higher processor system and at least 128MB of system RAM.
* CLPV™ and CLEV™ are sophisticated video processing technologies that require higher CPU power. If both of them are enabled, together with the audio effects above, it is recommended to have a Pentium®-M/Centrino®, Pentium® 4, Athlon® 1.0GHz, or a system with equivalent or higher performance.

Memory: 64 MB RAM or above. To enable audio effects, 128MB of system RAM is recommended.

Screen Resolution: 800 x 600 pixels min., 1024 * 768 recommended

Audio Device: PCI sound card, USB audio box or motherboard built-in audio device

Hard Disk Space: Hard disk requirement of at least 40MB

Optical Device: DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD-RAM, or DVD+RW drive with 1394, ATAPI, SCSI, USB 2.0, or Card Bus interface

Video Display: Display card supporting DirectDraw overlay

Take Care,

Richard

tony draper
24th Sep 2004, 11:53
Old Machine!!old pentium 111, I will have you know young man this was the swifest machine in the entire North of England when one built it, one dedicate one cpu to run boring things on ones puter while one could dedicate a entire CPU to shooting down migs in Falcon4.

Thanks for the advice chaps

Aha!downloaded that power DVD thingy and machine is now happily playing the one DVD disc I have in Draper towers,
Now all I need is a CD burner utility that doesn't cause my machine to self destruct when I hit burn.
thanks again again peeps.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
29th Sep 2004, 02:50
tony draper,

Enjoy your DVDs. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard