PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow wins 'best airport in Europe'

jabird
23rd Sep 2004, 10:12
British Airways scooped an impressive seven wins at the Business Traveller Awards, and Heathrow was a surprise winner in the airports category.

When London Heathrow was announced as winner of the best airport in Europe award, above Amsterdam Schipol, there were gasps and an audible mumbling throughout the crowd.

http://www.travelmole.com/news_detail.php?news_id=101693

IB4138
23rd Sep 2004, 12:18
Crossing palms with silver comes to mind.

A recount should be demanded by all other European Airports!:(

eal401
23rd Sep 2004, 13:04
there were gasps and an audible mumbling throughout the crowd.
I bet there was!!!!!

LHR better than AMS? As IB4138 said, I wonder how much that cost!

groundhugger
23rd Sep 2004, 13:19
Best airport,they must be having a laugh,its one airport I try to avoid if at all possible!!
give me Amsterdam anyday of the week or even Frankfurt!

Bagso
23rd Sep 2004, 14:30
like any awards ceremony they all seem to get drunk...

including I presume the judges, it must be the only explanation !

MAN777
23rd Sep 2004, 15:56
I thought it was September 23rd, not April 1st !!

surely not
23rd Sep 2004, 16:31
Was it an award for best building site? Or perhaps for the Airport with the most shopping outlets?

Spuds McKenzie
23rd Sep 2004, 17:35
Or was it 'the best UK airport in Europe' ? :rolleyes:

chipsbrand
23rd Sep 2004, 18:27
Incredible that any BAA airport should receive an award for anything. Obviously no one who had ever checked-in at the dungeon at Terminal 2 at LHR can have voted. Or anyone who had checked-in at T3. In my view STN is even worse than LHR. When you think how few airlines operating out of STN have any real on-board service the dearth of buying facilities in the terminal beggars imagination. Perhaps I am prejudiced by years of battling with BAA but all through those years I formed the very strong impresion that only their opinions mattered. Who the hell were customers as long as they paid what was required? John Egan tried to reverse that attitude Tbut it was far too entrenched for real progress to be made.

There are some very good airports in Europe. For sheer space and comfort look at FUE. For security and short walking distances look at BHD. For good check-in areas look at JER. For sheer space in relation to pax demand look at IOM. For sheer efficiency airside and landside look at LCY. Amongst the bigger airports CPH has some excellent facilities. The old brilliance of AMS has been lost to some extent with growth.

But BAA the best? It is impossible to imagine, unless that is the best has to lose the largest number of bags. LHR must surely be a winner in that category.

DC10FAN
23rd Sep 2004, 18:34
Is this a joke? I have had the misfortune of using LHR 4 times this year from Terminals 1,2 & 4. (Normally use AMS) Considering this is supposed to be London's premier airport, BAA need to wake up and look at other airport facilities in Europe. I am amazed that LHR beat AMS; Schiphol has one modern terminal with properly integrated transport links and is so much easier for connecting flights. The poor terminal layout at LHR has lead to the ludicrous situation where BA's long haul ops are now spread across 3 terminals.

TimS
24th Sep 2004, 03:51
The only airport in the world that I have experienced that charges for the 'courtesy buses' to airport hotels is now Europe's best airport ?

Its certainly well down my list for a number of reasons - but that is the one that really 'gets on my nerves'.