PDA

View Full Version : Fleet Air Arm Aptitude Testing

EF2020
22nd Sep 2004, 21:35
Hello people :) , I am awaiting my 2nd interview (prior to aptitude tests) for entry as a pilot in the Royal Navy- however, I was wondering if any such person has any software or practice tests- i.e. spatial orientation, concentration etc... I am aware that a few people have such tests on Cd's, after either developing the tests similarly, or through other such sources... your help will be greatly appreciated,

MobiusTrip
22nd Sep 2004, 21:47
I wouldn't get obsessed with practising toooo much - think about what some of the tests are actually assessing............

MT

EF2020
22nd Sep 2004, 21:54
True, but it would be re-assuring to know in advance if I am up to the challenge, and to get an idea of how I'd perform in a similar situation- I've also heard on the grapevine that the old s=d/t is needed for intensive mental arithmetic? I'm more interested however in how I'd perform in the multitasking and so forth....

MobiusTrip
22nd Sep 2004, 22:57
PM 4 U ...................

Milt
23rd Sep 2004, 02:46
EF2020

Don't be concerned if you fail the Sea Sickness test.

The best pilots are those with high sensitivity to motion and small accelerations. They are the lucky ones who have the potential to merge with an aircraft so that you can fly it as though it is an extension of your nervous system.

Feel free to show this to the Admiral.

Exhibit strong ambitions and best wishes.

Tell us how it goes.

Long_Vodka
23rd Sep 2004, 06:16
EF2020

I'm just about to sit AIB for pilot in a couple of weeks time, and have found books on pyschometric testing to be more than adequate.

If its your Flying Aptitude Test you are worried about, a bit of practice doing number recall and multiplication would not go amiss. Also, i'm sure you've had a go of a flight simulator somewhere along the line - which is good practice for the hand-eye-foot coordination.

As for the other parts, just use some common sense, especially for the multi-tasking module - good fun once you get into it!!

I sat my FAT 3 and a bit years ago as i was starting UAS, and found that if you just relaxed and tried to enjoy them, you'll get on much better - i ended up sailing through mine!

Best of luck.

Long_V

empty pockets
28th Sep 2004, 10:42
EF2020:

Hi mate. It appears we're both in the same situation - awaiting 2nd AFCO interview and aptitude tests. I would be most appreciative if you would PM me with any helpful info./advice you manage to trawl up re: the tests [particularly any books/software]. I will of course return the favour, but must admit i haven't found much other than the good advice dealt out on PPrune.

Let me know hoe you get on:ok:

Cheers,
EP

Long_Vodka
28th Sep 2004, 11:07
EF2020, sorry for the wait.

Both you and EP might find these useful:

HOW TO MASTER PSYCHOMETRIC TESTS
Mark Parkinson
2nd edition
Kogan Page publishining
ISBN - 0 7494 3420 1

IQ AND PSYCHOMETRIC TESTS
Philip Carter
Kogan Page publishing
ISBN - 0 7494 4118 6

Hope they help.

Long_V

supert300
28th Sep 2004, 17:42
Guy's if you want any advice, I was a RN Careers Officer at an AFCO up until a couple of months ago. I am also going through flying training at the moment. So if you have any question about AIB, flying training, BRNC, feel free to PM.

Regards,

ST300

EF2020
28th Sep 2004, 19:25
Check your PM Supert300.....

amb_211085
5th Oct 2004, 15:14
Also, with regards to the AIB, a useful site is:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/royalnavyaib