PDA

View Full Version : Meteor stories

Groundgripper
22nd Sep 2004, 19:52
I've had an enquiry from a fellow freelance proofreader whose late father wrote an article about working on Meteors during his national service, but never had it published anywhere. Now that he has passed away, she has it on her PC and is loath to just delete it without trying to get it published somewhere (and is not looking for profit, just doesn't like to see her father's work go to waste).

He was a member of the RAeS (Chester Branch) and worked for many years for BAe and its predecessors.

It's not going to make headlines or a Hollywood epic, but might be of interest to like minded people such as a preservation society or Air Force "other ranks" group.

Does anyone have any idea who might have an interest?

The article in question is about 3,500 words long - 6 pages of A4.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JDK
22nd Sep 2004, 20:28
Drop me a PM, I may be able to point you in a couple of possible directions.
Cheers!

Editor, publisher, author etc....

Brain Potter
23rd Sep 2004, 10:30
I have just seen an article about National Service Meteor groundcrew in the RAFA Magazine 'Airmail.' The author was groundcrew on F8s in Egypt in the early 50's.

Groundgripper
24th Sep 2004, 18:54
JDK, check your PMs please.

Brain; curses, just beaten to it - I shouldn't think they'll want another one just yet but it may be worth a try.

Many thanks to both of you in any case.

GG

FJJP
25th Sep 2004, 07:02
Sounds like the stuff that Flypast magazine might be interested in...

Chairborne 09.00hrs
25th Sep 2004, 12:27
And there's also "Aeroplane Monthly" -

http://www.aeroplanemonthly.com/

Why not lodge it with the RAF Museum??

In any event, I'd love to read it myself - could it be e-mailed to me?

bobinlincoln
4th Oct 2005, 14:09
I know I am seriously late here, but I have the answer to those of you interested in the demise of the elint Comet at Watton. The cause of the fire was as follows:

The fuel pressures on the Comets fluctuated when climbing steeply with the engines being fed from a specially fitted long-range fuel tank. The decision was taken to fit an extra fuel pump at the back of the tank. XE663 was the first aircraft to be altered, and was taken into the maintenance hangar and drained of fuel.

The pump had been lagged and painted with polyeurethane varnish. The varnish dripped onto an inspection lamp which had been left on in error. The copper tubing of the banks of liquid oxygen burned through and dumped several hundred litres of oxygen onto the fire. The lox system was kept fully charged to prevent corrosion.

I have more information on the incident if anybody is interested.

Groundgripper
5th Oct 2005, 22:03
er,........................what????????

GG

Gainesy
6th Oct 2005, 09:52
Meteor, Comet, one enters atmosphere t'other does flyby.

Otherwise.:confused: