View Full Version : Armed Pilot Fix Bill Goes to Senate Commerce Committee Today!

APSA
22nd Sep 2004, 14:09
WASHINGTON - Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA), cosponsor of the Cockpit Security Technical Corrections and improvements Act, is offering an amendment in the Senate Commerce Committee on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 to accelerate and make improvements to the Federal Flight Deck Officer's program.

Call, write, email and FAX the Senate Commerce Committee to deliver the below message. Do not hesitate to take action if you receive this alert late. This must be an ongoing effort until further notice, but it is CRITICAL it start tonight.

THE BILL'S MARK-UP IS SEP 22!

Please call 202-224-3121 and ask to speak with EACH of the following Senator's Commerce Committee staffers. Yes, it will take 22 Phone calls and emails, but only two faxes to the Commerce Committee office.

The Fax numbers are:

(202) 224-1259 (majority)
(202) 228-0303 (minority)

Senators McCain (R-AZ), Ted Stevens (R-AK), Conrad Burns (R-MT), Trent Lott (R-MS), Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX), Olympia J. Snowe (R- ME), Sam Brownback (R-KS), Gordon Smith (R-OR), Peter Fitzgerald (R-IL), John Ensign (R-NV), George Allen (R- VA), John Sununu (R-NH), Ernest "Fritz" Hollings (D-SC), Daniel Inouye (D-HI), John Rockefeller (D-WV), John Kerry (D-MA), John Breaux (D-LA), Dyron Dorgan (D-ND), Ron Wyden (D-OR), Bill Nelson (D-FL), Maria Cantwell (D-WA), and Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ).

Respectfully and professionally deliver the following message:

"Hello, I am a professional airline pilot who knows first hand how critical it is to strengthen our nation's aviation security.

The Boxer Cockpit Security Amendment will help to implement increased security in the wake of the 9-11 Commission Report by protecting the vast majority of airline flights at a negligible cost to the American taxpayer.

According to news reports, less than 5% of all flights are protected by Federal Air Marshals. We need more armed pilots and more air marshals, and increased flight attendant training to keep our skies safe.

Please vote yes on the Boxer Amendment - increased cockpit security will provide pilots a last line of defense against aviation terrorism."

Dave

www.secure-skies.org.

hermann der german
23rd Sep 2004, 07:21
Achtung!!!
I cannot wait to dust off der old Schmeisser und get going.........just like der old days......:E

breakscrew
23rd Sep 2004, 09:03
Oh for goodness sake - Mods pull this post please!

weasil
26th Sep 2004, 00:23
Why would I pull this post? It's so nice to see someone starting a thread on here that's not about how to get a greencard.

I know a couple of FFDO's (federal flight deck officers) and they say that the training was excellent.

West Coast
26th Sep 2004, 06:33
Heard much the same. Its the run up to it that is the pain. Also a pain for those who commute.

411A
28th Sep 2004, 00:40
Heard about eight months ago on a local talk radio station in the PHX area, and the conversation was between the host (a pilot oddly enough) and a guy who identified himself as a UAL captain....

host:

"Tell me captain, what if you are armed, and you should have a rather unpleasent violent disagreement with the co-pilot, what would you do?"

UAL captain:

"I'd shoot the son of a bit@h."

An absolutely true story. Heard it myself, as I was driving back from the airport.

Quite frankly, these pilots with firearms are a complete waste of time...just as bad as the federal air marshals who leave their guns in the terminal toilet, as has happened on several occasions.