PDA

View Full Version : Linux PC

ORAC
22nd Sep 2004, 11:18
Looking at building a Linux PC to play around with migrating a HMI from Mosaic to Gnome. Just bought SuSe 9.1 pro as the OS. In view of space I am considering a shuttle, (but would have preferred a PC with 2 optical drive bays).

I do not want to go OTT, but it would be nice if it was reusable in the future. I know models such as the SB62 are supported, but what about 775 models such as the SB81P with SATA and PCI express, are they supported in Linux?

Anyone any suggestions as to a barebones system and supported DVD dual layer writers, video cards etc?

ORAC
22nd Sep 2004, 18:20
Nobody ever answers me. :{ :{

mikedurward
22nd Sep 2004, 18:25
Hiya

Try www.pless.co.uk they will sell you a nice little minitower for £195 plus another optical drive. Great little box for suse 9. I have one running the same.

Mike :ok:

Mac the Knife
22nd Sep 2004, 18:33
Probably the biggest headaches is video drivers.

Nvidia have supported Linux for a long time and provide good and up to date drivers for all their cards - be safe and stick with them.

Other companies' support is spotty and support spottier (though this is improving). Matrox for instance provide very basic drivers only (no 3D acceleration) and have yet to catch up with the 2.6 kernel.