PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl To Cd Rom Transfer ???

SPIT
21st Sep 2004, 22:20
Iwonder if anyone could help me.
I have a smaal collection of LP Records and I want to record them on- to CDs. I have the correct leads but I am dammed if I know which lead goes where. The lead I have connects to the record player /mkusic center via the Headphone socket but where (and no funny suggestions please) do I stick the other ends with Two Small Jack Plug's ???:confused: :confused:
Thanks in advance for any help

Ausatco
22nd Sep 2004, 04:37
The output from your playback device must go to the audio input of the computer - that's the Line In or Aux socket. I have Line in and it's coloured blue in the standard scheme of things. That is a stereo input.

You apparently have a lead with two separate plugs at the end, one for left and one for right channels. You will need a "two-into-one" stereo adapter to suit both (a) the plugs at the end of your leads and (b) the socket on your computer. Go to your friendly hi-fi, computer or electronics shop and they'll sell you what you need.

That gets you physically connected.

Assuming you're using Windows, you will need to explore the Volume control to find the record volume settings and switch Line In or Aux on for recording. Double click the speaker icon in the system tray, then Options|Properties and click the radio button For Recording. Tick Line In and/or Aux, then OK. A window of Recording Control sliders will appear. Tick the one you want to record from and set it about half volume for starters.

You need recording and burning software. There's heaps of it about. One of the most common is Nero. I use Nero's Wave Editor to record to hard disk, remove or reduce scratches, clicks and pops and tape hiss, then Nero Burning Rom to burn the disc.

Start your recording software, commence playback, adjust the levels within both your recording software and the Windows Recording Control panel and off you go.

Good luck

AA

BEagle
22nd Sep 2004, 11:05
Just don't try playing the CD-ROM on your gramophone! It ruins the stylus.

It'll be wax cylinder recording transfer to MP3 next!