PDA

View Full Version : ADF tracking on CPL skills test

Jinkster
21st Sep 2004, 21:05
Does anyone know what can be asked? I am recieving conflicting information!

Just - Track to the NDB

Track to the NDB tracking 250(etc)

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jinkster

EGBKFLYER
22nd Sep 2004, 06:17
Yep - about the same for me. 8 nm from the airfield after the GH, he asked me to track back to the beacon. All I had to do was turn left and I was on track. He let me continue for about 2 mins to check my tracking was judgement and not luck (fooled him) and that was that. Don't sweat it basically - so long as you can read an RMI, you'll be fine...

Best of luck

CAT3C AUTOLAND
22nd Sep 2004, 08:17
Jinkster,

The examier can ask you to do anything regarding the NDB, track away on a specific QDR, or track to the beacon on a specific QDM, or maybe even intercept a specific QDR/QDM. But as the guys have said here, if there is an NDB on the airfield the examier will most likely to ask you to track inbound to the airfiled on your current QDM, a bit of a bitch when you have a stonking cross wind and you are using a relative bearing indicator!

Spit, I wasnt aware NDB's had radials?;) You can punch me when we meet up for that beer :D.

Oh another thing, when tracking, make sure you are within the DOC before you start using the instrument!

spitfire747
22nd Sep 2004, 12:20
yes true Cat... so you did learn something in those Rad Nav lessons in the capital when you were "resting your eyes"... JUST TESTING !!

SquawkModeA
22nd Sep 2004, 23:24
First I was asked about the current QDM, then asked to intercept another QDM and fly it towards the beacon. Obviously the examiner just wants to see that you understand the principle of the instrument.

flystudent
24th Sep 2004, 15:55
I did my CAA CPL in the states through a well known school here in the UK. The guys on dispatch were friendly and you could generally arrange which a/c you would have for yout test. Now some of them didnt have NDB equipment in them.

Can you guess what some people asked for ?? I bet you can !! Thus no worrying about having to do NDB work om your CPL .

Shame can't do it for the IR !! lol

FS