PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Atlantic/Ryder Cup

Navy_Adversary
21st Sep 2004, 08:07
Just out of interest, alright, call me Nosey; would Virgin Atlantic have charged the European golfing team for laying on the aircraft for the Ryder Cup match?
Or was it done for publicity purposes?
ps Knowing RBs MO I think I may know the answer to this one:p

surely not
21st Sep 2004, 09:25
Last year whilst working for a charter operator, I showed the broker and the organisers for the European Ryder Cup team around one of our a/c. There was a budget allocated by the organising committee specifically for travel expenses, plus the broker will have wanted their cut as well, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if VS took good money for the privilige of carrying the team.

niknak
21st Sep 2004, 17:29
Rumour has it that VS did it for literally cost price per head. I understantd that they've also done the same for the British paraolympic team, and many other good cases.
In the case of the Ryder Cup team, the publicity factor was too good to miss, however their generosity in other instances often goes un noticed.

It's a shame that BA don't take the same pragmatic attitude when ferrying our sportsmen around the world, instead of seeking max publicity in transporting the neanderthal England footballers, and very few others, and achieving exactly the opposite customer opinion.

terrier21
22nd Sep 2004, 10:18
Its a good job BA didnt carry them they might have misplaced their golf clubs, Like they did with Italy's rugby kit before the last 6 nations tournament against Wales!!!

Carnage Matey!
22nd Sep 2004, 11:19
I think you may have overlooked BA taking our victorious rugby team to and from the world cup. So we've covered rugby and football, any other well known sports teams out there need to be flown about?

Of course no mention made by niknak of the Dreamflight charity supported by BA which takes a jumbo load of sick, disabled and disadvantaged kids to Florida each year gratis, or indeed any other of the worthy charities BA supports.

As for the Ryder cup, I seem to recall that its Europe vs the USA, not Britain vs the USA. I don't really see why BA should bend over backwards to transport an extremely wealthy European golfing elite to the USA at a discount price even if they could spare an aircraft. Which they most certainly can't right now.

terrier21
22nd Sep 2004, 12:26
Yeah Plus excess baggage

warkman
22nd Sep 2004, 18:49
Re Charitable causes, this is an interesting web site

http://www.virginunite.com/