PDA

View Full Version : VASP on strike

varigflier
21st Sep 2004, 03:43
Just got the word that VASP employees are going on strike as of 00:00am local Brasilia time on september 21. The airline has not paid last month's salary to its pilots. This is not the first time that the airline fails to pay employees this year. VASP is literally hanging by a thread.

Samuel Adams
21st Sep 2004, 14:19
So it seems that we have two Brazilian airlines (Varig and Vasp) just barely avoiding bankruptcy. Varig has also delayed the payment of salaries and does not pay its dues to pension funds etc.
Not looking good for two of the oldest airlines in South America...

varigflier
21st Sep 2004, 19:25
Varig has been in bad shape for some years now but the government will not allow it to go under. Lots of plans have come up but they all lead to one thing. Nobody will put in money for Varig as long as Fundacao Rubens Berta stays at the control and for some reason nobody can get them to leave.

Samuel Adams
21st Sep 2004, 22:39
Why is the Government involved? As far as I know RG is a private company. If they are failing despite having more than 80% of the international routes, let somebody else with better management skills take over. This "little help" from friendly politicians looks like just another case of corruption in the Latin American style.

varigflier
21st Sep 2004, 23:12
The government is getting involved because they don't want Varig to go away because they have been around for a long time and everybody knows the name. They will not be the owners but they are trying to figure out a way to help the airline and there has been alot of people willing to help out the airline but only if the current management"Fundacao Ruben Berta" leaves and they don't want to leave. The reason VARIG is in bad shape is because of them.

Samuel Adams
22nd Sep 2004, 01:18
Airlines older and better than Varig have disappeared and life goes on as always. If you are an employee of RG, I know how you feel because I went through the same situation some years ago. But regardless of who's to blame, the situation seems to be hopeless for both Varig and Vasp, and only blatant corruption would put public resources in a private company that is virtually bankrupt. I understand that this money is needed to fight poverty, crime, and so many other problems in your country.
Good luck anyway, for both airlines!

varigflier
22nd Sep 2004, 02:46
I am not an employee of either airline but I do have lots of friends who work there. The situation does suck and will probably never get better but like you said, life goes on.

megaphone
27th Sep 2004, 06:28
hey varigflier, looking for an old mate of mine who should be with Vasp at the moment. can you drop me a line on the e-mail?
megaphone

varigflier
28th Sep 2004, 18:24
megaphone,

check your pms