PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Database Developer

mazzy1026
20th Sep 2004, 15:12
Hi fellow proons - just after a bit of advice really, sorry if it's in the wrong forum.

I am sure we can all say that we have a 'strong point' when it comes to IT, and if I was to say mine, it would be by far, database development using MS Access. Having studied it for about 5-6 years and worked as one for over a year now (as well as my own personal intrest in them) I feel I am at a decent level in order to fulfill a career in it - I have finally discovered what I would like to do! I am 22 and just about to start my final year of uni - in Information Systems with Management.

Let me get to the crunch. I would love to be my own developer, perhaps providing small systems for local companies perhaps, using small adverts in the local paper - just something to get started with. To put it into perspective - if I could build someone a database for 20 quid - I would be over the moon as it is a good start.

Any advice, stories, abuse........welcome!

Best regards

Maz.

Evo
20th Sep 2004, 15:38
No better forum on PPRuNe for this sort of thing :)

Database development is probably a lot more interesting in the small business world, because you'll get to do everthing from gathering requirements and design to roll-out and support. However, small businesses don't seem to have much of an IT budget, so unless you can find a particular niche you probably aren't going to make yourself rich. There's more money in Enterprise development, but in that world databases are rather dull abstract things; in J2EE (which is what I know) they're an XA resource hidden behind JDBC or, increasingly, an Entity EJB, and then - by architectural design - you hardly know it's a database at all. All of the clever stuff that might interest you is hidden in the EJB container, so it's probably not the best job if databases are your thing.

Have you thought about getting some database administration experience? Oracle DBAs or their DB2 equivalents don't seem to do too badly for themselves, and they usually seem to get to play some part in application design and architecture, even if they don't have a real development (i.e. code-writing) role.

mazzy1026
20th Sep 2004, 15:51
Thanks Evo

Couldnt agree with you more. working in a small company will always involve more responsibility and better satisfaction, in most industries. I am lucky at the moment, because working for the NHS building databases, means you are involved from start to finish, in the entire software development lifecycle, not just one stage, and you get all the lovely nitty gritty stuff too. Thing is though, I would love to work for myself, and at this stage, money is not an issue - like I said, getting a few quid for my first database is a great start and if it could tie in with my job as it is, or in the future, that is an added bonus.

Administration experience would be good yes, I have never really got involved in this area. By adminsitration, do you mean maintaining existing database, or looking at security rights and policies etc?

Thanks

Maz.

Evo
20th Sep 2004, 16:05
I must admit that I don't know all that much about the DBAs job, but, yes, I mean the folks who deal with the beast that's cleanly abstracted away behind some programming interface, which is as much as I ever see of a database.

The DBAs are the people hidden away somewhere (in my experience usually in a basement) who make sure that the database is going to be there when your application tries to find it - so it's up and running, secure, backed-up, maintained, consistent, load-balanced, ready to fail-over somewhere else, and all the rest. How they do that I don't know; J2EE takes the view that developers and architects don't really need to know anything about databases other than they're somewhere to persist data - so I don't. :O

DBAs are also fairly helpful when it comes to translating quality of service requirements (e.g. response times) into hardware requirements and software licences, although when it comes to actually accessing it I might suggest that they usually say 'no' to any request until you've asked it three times. Very protective of their baby, DBAs... ;)

edit: that's a fair bit about something I don't know much about - it's really my perception of the job, rather than anything else. However, I get the impression that the skills are in demand and quite well paid, which is why I suggested it might be something to look towards.

mazzy1026
20th Sep 2004, 17:22
LOL I know exactley what you mean by treating them like their babies - there's a few like that in our place - not the most social of people, but highly skilled and ready to solve any problem to do with their baby! I think sometimes they tend to be one track minded though, and DBA's aren't getting involved in the development I could imagine (really imagine!).

I will definately look into it and research the job and see what I come up with.

Thanks again for your help,

Maz :ok:

DistantRumble
20th Sep 2004, 17:32
I'm a DBA and Database developer [ a bit schizo I know ]

Have been for 12 years.

You will always have a job if you focus on the key skills.

you will learn a lot of different skills.

Oracle database , Oracle Forms, Oracle E-Business have been in demand for years and show no signs of slowing down.

Java is fully mainstream now and there is a dearth of good, experienced people.

Also, strong SQL*Server + VB.NET and legacy VB6 is still a winner

and for niche government work and banks DB2 [ mainframe or small system ]

There is NO useful Oracle Cert - OCA,OCP,OCM are only regarded as licences to learn. Experience counts more than anything - so if you get a sniff of Oracle chase it.

Regards