PDA

View Full Version : Advice

R T Jones
19th Sep 2004, 20:08
Im 16 and doin my a levles. Simple quiestion is do you recomend me going to get my ppl before i finish my a levels. And if yes, what flight schools do u recomend.

LondonJ
19th Sep 2004, 20:29
I started training for my PPL after my GCSE's and it took just under a year. This meant I ended up doing a lot of theory around the time of my AS's. I didn't find it massively difficult because I was interested in the flying subjects and so it didn't feel like lots of extra work. I did the flying on the weekends and it was roughly an hour a week, which spreads out quite comfortably. If you have the resources and determination then I say go for it.

Whereabout do you live in London? probably easier to recommend schools once it's clear which airfields you live close to.

R T Jones
19th Sep 2004, 20:32
north london, about 10 mins drive from M11 and M25. I am doing maths, physics, geography and IT. I would relish the chance to do an hours flying a week, but do u do the ground study at the air field or on your own?

ChocksAwayUK
19th Sep 2004, 21:35
I did a PPL at The Pilot Centre, Denham, North West London and highly recommend it. Very nice little friendly school with good instructors. I did an hour or so a week and had it done in a year.

Most ground study is done on your own but instructors are always willing to go through stuff with in the classroom... especially if you're waiting for the weather to improve etc.

http://www.egld.com/tpc/

Pilot16
19th Sep 2004, 22:44
Hi, R T Jones,

I did exactly what London J did,

I started flying streight after I finished my GCSE's, flew in the weekends as I did my AS Levels. I also did the theory exams with the AS Levels, just like LondonJ, I didnt find it too difficult to cope as I enjoyed everything!

Got my PPL at 17. Now finished my A-Levels, 18 and doing ATPLs in the gap year.

If you have the will and determination, go for it. :)

R T Jones
19th Sep 2004, 23:09
well im doin maths and physics AS so revision for that as well. next step is to talk to my mum and dad about it, and get the class 1 medical. thanks for ya advice, keep it coming!

Sensible
19th Sep 2004, 23:21
PPL exams are no big deal, anybody who has or expects to pass a couple of O levels can do them with very little effort so I don't understand why there should be any difficulties doing PPL studies at the same time as A levels, the only problem arises if one is unable to devote enough time to the A levels.

So far as which schools, use the search function on PPRuNe that is especially useful if you plan to save time and money by doing your training in the US. If not, there is a good school at Elstree, can't remember the name but a search on Elstree will probably find it. If you live closer to another airfield, do a search on that name also. NEVER PAY UP FRONT FOR FLIGHT TRAINING. Schools go bust with alarming regularity.

If you are going to the US, use an Immigration approved school, using a non INS school and just telling the INS that you are there for a holiday is fine until you get caught and deported then try entering the USA again.

Good luck :ok:

LondonJ
19th Sep 2004, 23:37
M11/M25 that would put you near Stapleford if I remember correctly, I am fairly sure there is a flying school there but do a search on the net.

I did my PPL at Elstree, there are two schools, cabair (where I trained), which offers very good training but at a proportional price, Firecrest is the other company and they run a fleet of Cessna's as opposed PA28's.

If I could have done it again then I would have gone to the US and done a 3 - 4 week PPL course at Naples in Florida. Including flights out there and good accomodation it would have worked out a huge amount cheaper, and you can rack up some cheap P1 hours while you are out there, which always come in useful when you go to share group aircraft and so on. Do a search for Florida training on this site and there will be plenty of information to help you consider doing it that way.

R T Jones
20th Sep 2004, 06:24
i dont really know about the practacality of going to the us, i have had someone recomend stapleford as a place to get a ppl though.

G-SEXY
22nd Sep 2004, 14:35
M11/M25 that would put you near Stapleford if I remember correctly, I am fairly sure there is a flying school there but do a search on the net.

The flying school at Stapleford is Stapleford Flight Centre (http://www.flysfc.com) and is where I did my PPL.

I started having lessons at 14, and had my licence for my 17th birthday. Did all of my exams whilst completing my A-Levels and found it fine.

Best thing to do is to have a look around at the schools you are interested in. Good luck wherever you decide to train!

:ok: